PDA

View Full Version : 6.5-284

Pages : 1 [2]

phirebug
02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
interesting. thanks for the info :)

DGD6MM
02-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Waceyf, I'm referring to my 6CM. With a 115 DTAC it has 5 inch less windrift at 1000 yards and barrel life can go 5000 rounds when loaded properly.

USAFA71
02-20-2010, 12:20 PM
When talking about the 6.5-284 yoy have to realize that there are two different cartidges being loaded. One is the 6.5-284 Winchester chambering, which is designed for a short action and loaded to an overall length of about 2.800 inches. The other chambering is the 6.5-284 Norma, which uses the same case(and the same loading dies) but is designed for a long action, with an overall length of 3.310 inches. The data for the 6.5-284 Winchester chambering can be found in the Hornady 7th edition manual, and the 6.5-284 Norma data is available in the Nosler 6th edition manual. The big difference is how far out you can seat the bullets. The Winchester version, to fit in a short action, seats those long, high BC bullets well into the case, while the Norma version seats the bullets much farther out and requires the long action. While you can use data for the Winchester version in the Norma chamber, you will be getting lower velocites and pressures. Using the Norma data in the Winchester chamber can cause problems I don't even want to think about! So the only similarities in the two chamberings is that they use the same reloading dies, and the same cases, but nothing else is the same.
Savage is chambering for the Norma version, as far as I know, which makes a better long range rifle. It is just that when talking about the 6.5-284, it is important to know which version is being discussed.

3fingervic
02-21-2010, 04:39 PM
When talking about the 6.5-284 yoy have to realize that there are two different cartidges being loaded. One is the 6.5-284 Winchester chambering, which is designed for a short action and loaded to an overall length of about 2.800 inches. The other chambering is the 6.5-284 Norma, which uses the same case(and the same loading dies) but is designed for a long action, with an overall length of 3.310 inches. The data for the 6.5-284 Winchester chambering can be found in the Hornady 7th edition manual, and the 6.5-284 Norma data is available in the Nosler 6th edition manual. The big difference is how far out you can seat the bullets. The Winchester version, to fit in a short action, seats those long, high BC bullets well into the case, while the Norma version seats the bullets much farther out and requires the long action. While you can use data for the Winchester version in the Norma chamber, you will be getting lower velocites and pressures. Using the Norma data in the Winchester chamber can cause problems I don't even want to think about! So the only similarities in the two chamberings is that they use the same reloading dies, and the same cases, but nothing else is the same.
Savage is chambering for the Norma version, as far as I know, which makes a better long range rifle. It is just that when talking about the 6.5-284, it is important to know which version is being discussed.

Great post! I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

lomfs24
02-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't have first hand experience... yet with the 6.5mm rounds yet. But I was reading an article that was discussing the 6.5mm cartridges. Seems that the 260 and the 6.5x47 Lapua can both easily achieve the two lower velocity nodes or sweet spots for the 140gr bullets. The 6.5x284 can get you into the third and higher velocity node. However, the ability to get into that higher node will come at the cost of the barrel. If you are willing to pay the piper the 6.5x284 is the way to go. If you want to shoot a barrel a little longer I would look at some of the slower offerings like 260 Rem or 6.5x47 Lapua.

Just my .02