PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lift kit for new bolts with cocking idicators as well as older style bolts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

dolomite_supafly
02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Ok guys, I have worked out a way to reduce the bolt lift on the new indicator bolts. I did some testing on an older bolt today and how it is designed they will work on either new indicator bolts or older bolts equally well.

I still have to do some more testing but as it stands right now it seems good. I measured the bolt lift on my gun that has a clipped firing pin spring and these are the results:
Without anything the bolt measured a little over 5 1/2 lbs.
With the old bolt lift kit (38 special case) it measured 4 1/2 lbs.
With the new version it measured 2 3/4-3 1/2 pounds (testing was a little harder because the lift was light)
I tried with the old bolt lift kit and the new one together and it was heavier so I went back to using only the new version.

I still need to do some more testing and I have sent out a few samples to people for them to try. I am going to see if they are getting the same results as I am. It requires NO modification to the gun and the gun can be returned to factory condition in about 3 minutes. I fired off handloads as well as factory ammo and it was 100% reliable.

Another thing is that the new version allows the bolt handle to raise about 30 degrees (almost horizontal) before you start to feel the spring tension. This should help with sticky cases because in the first 30 or so degrees of the bolt movement you are only fighting extraction and not spring tension as well.

When ever I feel comfortable with them I will randomly send them to people if I think it will help them. Please do not swamp me with PM's as I am not sending any out within the next 2-3 weeks. I will be waiting on the machinist to make more because I only have 6 test samples left and those are probably already spoken for. As with the 38 special cases these are going to be FREE as well. I will not accept any money for them when I do start sending them to people.

These work better than the 38 special version I made and have been giving away.

Dolomite

Edited to add:
Savageboy and GaCop are two who have one of these on the way. Hopefully they will chime in once they are able to fully test them.

steveinwv
02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Very interesting. I'll be interested in one when available.

cwop
02-17-2010, 07:05 PM
me too you just cant beat gordon s prices. i wonder what prinicpal he is using to make a profit on these.

bob

cwop
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
it just came to me he is making up the loses in volume an old trick

best regards

bob

TnTom
02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
its the old loss leader trick ;)

dolomite_supafly
02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
its the old loss leader trick ;)

???
No clue what you mean.

Dolomite

fatdaddy
02-17-2010, 08:38 PM
hey dolomite,
would gladly pay for that much lift reduction.... Bill

wintermute76
02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
A loss leader is a product sold at an unusually low price in order to attract people hoping they'll buy something else of higher profit margin at the same time.

That said, I'll gladly try one out if I may :)

savageboy
02-17-2010, 09:19 PM
When mine gets here, I will give a full report. Dolomite isn't looking for anything else. He really likes helping people. He has done several things- trigger jobs on my 10/22, etc. for no charge.

LeeH
02-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Making money or not is not important to me, Dolomite has his own reasons.
What is Important to me is the fact that he spends his time and money
to IMPROVE the Savage rifle and community.
That being said, I hereby award Dolomite ONE MILLION "ATTABOYS"

dolomite_supafly
02-17-2010, 09:29 PM
A loss leader is a product sold at an unusually low price in order to attract people hoping they'll buy something else of higher profit margin at the same time.

That said, I'll gladly try one out if I may :)

Thats is kind of funny seeing how I am not selling any of these and don't plan on selling anything. All the stuff I have sent out to people didn't cost them anything, not even postage. These are costing me both time and money yet I don't mind because it is helping others out. I have my reasons for doing this and it is definitely not for financial gain. Not saying I have a ton of money because I don't, I just like helping out people.

I will definitely be letting people know by PM if I have one with the name on it. As it stands right now I am making a few last minute design changes based on the batch I received today. The next batch should be picture perfect. I had to do a little bit of fitting to the batch I received today because I chose tighter tolerances than I really needed.

Dolomite

cwop
02-17-2010, 11:51 PM
gordon

not in anyway trying to demean you just having a little fun. there is an old saying in the grocery business a business known for loosing money that your competition is using the polish principal to make up loses again not to offend anyone.

that they make their profit losses by losing even more money. what you do is generous to the extreme and i know you do it because you love it!!

bob

dmack
02-18-2010, 08:30 AM
hey dolomite,
would gladly pay for that much lift reduction.... Bill

+1 and would be happy to donate to your R&D budget 8)

Got Diesel
02-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Sounds good, be interesting to see how the new one works. I would be interested in one when you get it finished up.

#1oneshot
02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
I too would like to have one of your new lift kits, and I, like many others, appreciate what you do, thanks. Bobby

1Shot
02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
...I'll throw my hat in the ring too... ;)..Never tried 1 yet..

phirebug
02-18-2010, 10:03 AM
i know i'm kind of new here, but is there any chance i could get in on this too? i just got an email from SSS this morning that my stuff is ready to ship, so hopefully I can start my build next weekend. :D

GaCop
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm looking forward to receiving and testing one of Gordon's bolt lift kits. If they end up working as well as the prototype, he should patent it.

vermonter
02-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Dolomite, I don't need a bolt lift kit but I just wanted to say that your interest in Savage firearms and your willingness to help fellow shooters is admirable. Thanks.

dolomite_supafly
02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
...I'll throw my hat in the ring too... ;)..Never tried 1 yet..

PM me your address please so I can add you to the list of testers.

Thanks
Dolomite