PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lift kit for new bolts with cocking idicators as well as older style bolts

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

mprtech
02-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I'd love to give this a go. I have a 110 that could use a little help.

dolomite_supafly
02-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Ok guys I have everyone I need to test this new idea. I will be sending them out hopefully by Saturday, depending on how I feel. I think I have a good representation of all the Savage actions out there, everything from just bought to older actions.

These members are going to get the initial batch to test:
wbm
LeeH
Lefty Savage
Peter_Kirch
Blue Avenger
savageboy
GaCop

The only thing I ask is that when you do receive them do not post pictures. It isn't the fact I am going to be selling them or worried about patents. I am just worried that an unforseen flaw might crop up. I do not want others to try to duplicate these when there might be a problem and potentially injuring themselves or others (I highly doubt it).

When I get feedback from these posters and all seems good, I'll order another batch of probably 20 or so for now and randomly send them to people. Again no need to PM me about it as I will just randomly pick people (my inbox has been overun over this posting). The lead time on the machinist is about 2 weeks so at a bare minimum it is probably going to be March before I get anymore in.

Dolomite

dmack
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Sounds Great, Dolomite...looking forward to the feedback.

sliderule
02-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Domolite Supafly,

How are you checking the lift pounds on the bolt?

Are you suggesting that everyone needs to cut there firing pin spring down to use your lift kit? Without going into theories and formulas of sorts, doesn't that go against most common practices of reducing trigger pull?

When using your lift kit, you will also need to shorten the BAS accordingly?

dolomite_supafly
02-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Dolomite Supafly,

How are you checking the lift pounds on the bolt?
I actually used an electronic fish scale, hardly scientific but it worked to prove to me this might be worthwhile to pursue. I was able to "hook" it then tested each setup numerous times getting an average. I didn't just do one test and call it good. Also, I had someone test between this and a gun without it, their response was that it felt lighter as well. There definitely is a difference in how the bolt lift is both in weight and function.

Are you suggesting that everyone needs to cut there firing pin spring down to use your lift kit? Without going into theories and formulas of sorts, doesn't that go against most common practices of reducing trigger pull?
One has nothing to do with the other, the bolt lift weight has nothing to do with trigger pull weight. This kit will not reduce or affect the trigger pull at all, only the force needed to lift the bolt after firing. The biggest complaint most people have against these guns is the bolt lift which is why I am trying to fix it. The reason why my spring was cut was because I had modified the gun previously, not specifically for use with this mod. Also, it is common practice to shorten the springs on these guns as a means to reduce bolt lift weight, nothing new or novel about that idea. With this new version there is no need to cut or modify anything.

When using your lift kit, you will also need to shorten the BAS accordingly? No need to modify anything on your firearm, just install my part and go. Installing it is a snap and is no harder than changing the bolt handle.

This is still in the infancy stage of testing. I just want to make sure it is good before I have more made and start handing them out. As I said before these are going to be free. I won't be able to hand them out to everyone on this board but hopefully I can help out some people. I have my reasons for doing this and it definitely is not for any type of financial gain.

Thanks for the questions
Dolomite

usmc_mwroseberry
02-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Please keep me posted on this as this is a product I will be interested in.

Thanks for your hard work, it is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

Scalian
02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
This sounds like a nice little replacement part. Would love a chance to try one. Or to purchase one once you are done testing.

1Shot
02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
...Dolomite drop me a note to my message box..Being a standard mem. I can not initiate the first contact..Thank's... :)

teele1
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Dolomite,
Not trying to steal anything here, but my girlfriends Model 12FVSS 223 could test if you wanted a female shooter's input.
Just an offer and not just trying to get in.
jim

racinready300ex
02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Wow, that sounds really cool. Hope I can try one out when you get it finished up.

Mike

dolomite_supafly
02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Just wanted to let the testers know they are in the mail. Hopefully we can start getting feedback by next week so I can have some more made.

Peter_kirch you have the old version as well as a new version on the way. Not sure which one will get there first. Use the old version if you can, if not just pass it onto another member here please.

Thanks again
Dolomite

wetaylor
02-19-2010, 04:49 PM
I am new to the Savage world having just purchased a pc10 in .308. fired about 100 rounds through it. The bolt lift stiffness is also a concern with mine and would be very interested in your kit. Thanks

usmc_mwroseberry
02-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I'll take the old version if he can't use it. ;D

I'll give you a full write up.

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

dolomite_supafly
02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I'll take the old version if he can't use it. ;D

I'll give you a full write up.

Thanks,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

Everyone is pretty aware of the old version so no need for a write up on those. As for the new design I am waiting on feed back so I can improve the next batch. After that I am still trying to work out a fair way to slowly hand these out to people who need them. As I said they will be free but I am not going to go broke equipping everyone here with the new version.

Who knows I might do a free give away once a month and possibly sell some in the classifieds for those that don't want to wait or take a chance. Haven't really decided on selling yet but I am definitely going to be giving some away just not enough for everybody here because that would definitly put me in the poor house.

Dolomite

Locosmith
02-21-2010, 11:58 AM
I sure would like one for my model 10 SA 300WSM. Loco

Quickshot
02-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Dolomite, I read on other threads that the screw has to be cut down or the sleeve needs to be altered and then some one says it's a quick fix with just drop in and go. I'd like to hear from you just what needs to be done to make this thing work. If it is a drop in I'll go for it. Have plenty of .38 casings and ball bearings, even made up a few, but still reluctant to tear things apart if requires modifications. Even at 76 yrs. still able to lift the bolt without too much trouble but would give this thing a tinkers try if not too complicated. Quick

358Hammer
02-21-2010, 12:25 PM
From the original post:

I still need to do some more testing and I have sent out a few samples to people for them to try. I am going to see if they are getting the same results as I am. It requires NO modification to the gun and the gun can be returned to factory condition in about 3 minutes. I fired off handloads as well as factory ammo and it was 100% reliable.

sandhiller
02-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Dolomite, 'tis a great thing you are doing for the members of this site and the Savage community! I hate to add to the "swamping" you are getting but I have scrounged about 30 38spl cases I would gladly let you have for your endeavor. If down the road any BLK's become available, I would be interested for my older 110FP and spankin' new 10FCP-K. PM me with your address and I will get the 38spl cases out to you. Thank you, Jeff.

dolomite_supafly
02-21-2010, 02:03 PM
My new design does not involve the use of 38 special casings. The new design is appearing to give better results as well as be easier for the end user to install.

Again, there are two different versions, one using 38 special cases which has been around for a long time and my new bolt lift kit that doesn't.

My new design bolt lift kit does not need any modifications to the firearm to work, no grinding of the BAS or shortening of the cocking sleeve, just install the new part and enjoy. Forget about the 38 special casings for the new design as it does not use anything even remotely close to that design.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Dolomite

And just to reiterate:
The new version requires no modifications to your firearm and is not based on the design that uses the 38 special casing

joeb33050
02-21-2010, 03:11 PM
After that I am still trying to work out a fair way to slowly hand these out to people who need them. As I said they will be free but I am not going to go broke equipping everyone here with the new version.

Who knows I might do a free give away once a month and possibly sell some in the classifieds for those that don't want to wait or take a chance. Haven't really decided on selling yet but I am definitely going to be giving some away just not enough for everybody here because that would definitly put me in the poor house.

Dolomite
[/quote]

I think that you should give these lift kits to the nicest and most handsome people first. I am the nicest person in the entire state of Florida, and am so handsome that young girls cluster around me at the beach. And I'm only 72, not like that old 76 guy.
Just a suggestion.
Let me know if you need my address for ant reason.
joe (NICE) b.