PDA

View Full Version : Barrel overheating?

Pages : [1] 2 3

aka:Cliff
09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Morning All,

I have a new Savage Model 11/111 Hog Gun, 20" Threaded barrel, in .308. Topped with an 8x32x50.

After shooting 6 rounds, the last one fired (#6) sticks in the chamber until the barrel cools several hours later and then comes right out.

Does this with factory and reloaded ammo.
Reloads are under 2800 FPS & Factory stuff is right at 2800.
Doesn't matter what bullet. (Have only shot 140's & 165's)

Let me explain how I shoot now.

I get set up, load one round, sight & shoot.
remove fired case from gun.
Sight where round hit w/ spotting scope.

repete.

So, I am not loading the magazine full & just blasting away, I'm taking my time !
This gun has less than 90 rounds fired through it. I think the count is 84 right now.

I took a good sized factory case, JB welded it to a 12" rod and put polishing compound on it.
(Mothers aluminum polish - not abrasive)
and by hand, incerted it into the chamber and rotated it for like 5 minutes and a little in & out also.
trying to polish the chamber a little bit more. It seemed to help. I got 6 rounds fired before a stuck case.

I'm at a loss here. This is my first bolt gun.
I've always used gas guns.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-aka:Cliff

pappy83
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I would say this is not normal, my kid has a savage rifle she shoots f class with we load 215 bergers so hot that lapua brass wont hold a primer after 3 firings and don't have this problem even in 90 degree heat. If it is doing it with factory ammo and its not hornady super performance(Have seen this ammo cause problems) I would think a trip back to Savage may be in order. 2800fps is pretty fast for a 165 out of a 20 inch stick for a .308, I can see the 140's as we get 3000fps with 130 bergers in a 20 inch. I am not saying its not possible but 165 or 168's moving that fast is a pretty stout load. Her 215's are going 2600fps with a 28 inch barrel and 43.4 grains of varget which is hot. .308's don't seem to care that much about barrel length though like other calibers.

earl39
09-16-2013, 12:50 PM
I know this horse has been beat to death but check your primary extraction. It might be right on the edge of not enough and once things get warmed up you don't have enough to get the brass to start moving as you open the bolt.

09-16-2013, 01:05 PM
I know this horse has been beat to death but check your primary extraction. It might be right on the edge of not enough and once things get warmed up you don't have enough to get the brass to start moving as you open the bolt.

I understand what you are saying. not sure how to check it properly though.
When I did remove a case prior to this, I did check the extractor to make sure I didn't break it.
Do I "inspect it" with a magnifying glass? for wear marks?

09-16-2013, 01:08 PM
I would say this is not normal, my kid has a savage rifle she shoots f class with we load 215 bergers so hot that lapua brass wont hold a primer after 3 firings and don't have this problem even in 90 degree heat. If it is doing it with factory ammo and its not hornady super performance(Have seen this ammo cause problems) I would think a trip back to Savage may be in order. 2800fps is pretty fast for a 165 out of a 20 inch stick for a .308, I can see the 140's as we get 3000fps with 130 bergers in a 20 inch. I am not saying its not possible but 165 or 168's moving that fast is a pretty stout load. Her 215's are going 2600fps with a 28 inch barrel and 43.4 grains of varget which is hot. .308's don't seem to care that much about barrel length though like other calibers.

I totally agree.
and I have heard such great things about Savage, and now this.
Think I'll write the company.
I do live in Arizona, so ambient temps ar usually in the 90's++ ;)

09-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Is there a Savage Rep that trolls these Fourms?

pappy83
09-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Did not know this was a problem on some rifles

09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Did not know this was a problem on some rifles

I heard rumors - after buying the rifle.

LoneWolf
09-16-2013, 01:27 PM
This is the first I've heard of anything like this and I spend an awful lot of time around here. Most people that have had a possible "lemon" issue and took it back up with Savage have ended up very satisfied with their processes to correct such issues. I would contact them with the issue and work with them. They may have you return the rifle and either correct or replace it if need be.

eddiesindian
09-16-2013, 01:59 PM
It would be nice if you could look inside the chamber with a h/d. bore scope. had a similar concern.
can you mic a spent case?

earl39
09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
try this video and it will show you what to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1ddHYW6wA

09-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Working on contantacting Savage now.

hehe.... yeah, I WISH I had a scope to look at the chamber.
Yes, I saved the case to mic it out and see what is up with the dimentions.

I have several others too with case imperfections where the body tapers down to the neck.
I thought that was the problem to start with, so I pulled several cases out of my reloading rotation.
but it is still happening.

09-16-2013, 03:23 PM
try this video and it will show you what to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1ddHYW6wA

I think I understand what is being done.
Incert a round, lock n load, block firing pin from striking, & then remove the case.

I'm unclear at :15 secconds to :25.
It appears to being recocked, then blocked and removed.

Purpose of this?
What is being checked?

earl39
09-16-2013, 04:30 PM
you insert a fired case. then try to extract. if it does not extract place a feeler gauge between the ramp on the bolt handle and the ramp on the rear baffle and open the bolt (you can also place the feeler gauge between the baffle and action). if it extracts at that point you have a lack of primary extraction. there are a few fixes including replacing the bolt handle. in your case you may have to shoot it again if you can't get it to lock up on a fired case, and when it locks up try the feeler gauge trick.

09-16-2013, 05:50 PM
you insert a fired case. then try to extract. if it does not extract place a feeler gauge between the ramp on the bolt handle and the ramp on the rear baffle and open the bolt (you can also place the feeler gauge between the baffle and action). if it extracts at that point you have a lack of primary extraction. there are a few fixes including replacing the bolt handle. in your case you may have to shoot it again if you can't get it to lock up on a fired case, and when it locks up try the feeler gauge trick.

With 100% certanty, I can say that when it locks up/ sticks, the bolt handle will rotate but not move AT ALL rearward.
Zero movement.

The bolt handle will rotate up, but not to the rear. I even tried a dead blow hammer (2 LBS) on it. (yes, the bolt handle)
Letting it cool, adding Oil down the barrel and tapping the case out with and old arrow shaft and the dead blow hammer.
(very lightly tapping it) worked 2x ago, last time I just let it cool.

I spoke with Savage and they said get the serial # and make arrangments to send it back in to them.

/ not happy about that, but I'd like it right.

LoneWolf
09-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Better they fix it and you get a rifle you are satisfied with, than to continue clunking around trying to figure it out!

09-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Better they fix it and you get a rifle you are satisfied with, than to continue clunking around trying to figure it out!

AGREED ! ! !
I want to be able to shoot more than 6 bullets a day.

LoneWolf
09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Hearing issues like this makes me happy I was able to put 110 rounds through my Axis on the first day without issue when I put the whole build together myself!

09-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Hearing issues like this makes me happy I was able to put 110 rounds through my Axis on the first day without issue when I put the whole build together myself!

I really enjoy hearing guys say stuff like that and hope I just got the first one made on a Monday morning.
I have hope an am not discourage over this. I can overlap 2 shots at 100 yards, not 3 yet, but 2, 2x each.
in 6 shots. So I know it has potential, dispite the issues.

Can someone share with me what a FIRED .308 NECK measures outside diameter in "YOUR" rifle?
I have a digital caliper to check mine with for comparison.

I think my stuck case neck looked like this when it came out ( )
Yes, very strange.
Thanks.

LoneWolf
09-16-2013, 06:21 PM
I can do it when I get home, but still at work here for another hour on the West Coast.