PDA

View Full Version : Barrel overheating?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

aka:Cliff
09-17-2013, 06:31 PM
I will get my electronic mic and measure 3 cases.
the last one stuck and one reload and maybe a factory one.

bodywerks
09-17-2013, 07:46 PM
The necks will all expand the same amount. This measurement won't tell you anything about the problem you're having. That is- unless the fired case neck diameter is nearly identical to your loaded case neck diameter. That would indicate an improperly cut chamber(highly unlikely).
So long as the fired cases measure .342-.344 you're good.
I still think your issue is a lack of primary extraction or a dirty/rough chamber. Both are home remedies

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

09-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Last stuck case measures 0.345 (fired)
Factory round measures 0.340 (unfired)
One of my reloads measures 0.338 (unfired)

I think I have a tight chamber issue.

stangfish
09-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Correct except when it expands in this case the barrel narrows slightly.
Still trying to grasp this. When things get hot, molecules move further apart. This has the effect of lengthening a surface. only one way to go or did I miss something in physics.....which is possible due to the very HOT Physics instructor. LOL

earl39
09-17-2013, 08:17 PM

That is not a tight chamber issue. You are trying to over think things. It is primary extraction. But if you really want to insist that it is a tight chamber just send it back to savage and they will polish the chamber and the problem will go away for maybe 20 rounds if you are lucky or you can follow the advice of those of us that have dealt with the problem and rule it out or find we are right. Either way you will be working on one thing at a time.

bodywerks
09-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Those measurements are normal. They have nothing to do with a tight chamber. If your brass is coming out without unexplained nicks, dents, or rings on it then your chamber is likely fine, too.

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

stangfish
09-17-2013, 08:35 PM
This is simple. You can find out if you are right or the others claiming primary extraction is the root cause are on target. Do the feeler gauge test. If it works then it is Primary Extraction, an issue that is common. If it does not then you are the rare case that has a chamber with a problem. In either case we have a dead horse.

earl39
09-18-2013, 12:23 AM
This is simple. You can find out if you are right or the others claiming primary extraction is the root cause are on target. Do the feeler gauge test. If it works then it is Primary Extraction, an issue that is common. If it does not then you are the rare case that has a chamber with a problem. In either case we have a dead horse.
You forgot this Stang :deadhorse:

09-18-2013, 10:20 AM
That is not a tight chamber issue. You are trying to over think things. It is primary extraction. But if you really want to insist that it is a tight chamber just send it back to savage and they will polish the chamber and the problem will go away for maybe 20 rounds if you are lucky or you can follow the advice of those of us that have dealt with the problem and rule it out or find we are right. Either way you will be working on one thing at a time.

I understand Earl.
But in 100 degree weather, I shoot 6 rounds in less than 5 minutes, and stick or can not extract my 6th round. I take the gun home after doing nothing to it, let it cool for 3 hours and the round extracts perfectly & easily. Is it an extraction issue or a tight chamber?

Honestly I don't know, but I'm going with what I do know.
I have to call Savage back later today but can take feeler gauges to the indoor range and shoot a box off and try and get it to stick and see what I come up with for you.

09-21-2013, 01:11 PM
OK, JUST back from shooting. Yup, 5 rounds shot and the 6 one fired but is now stuck in the chamber.

Feeler gage says .044", when I lift the bolt handle and does not move rearward.

Will let it cool and post back when/if it comes out & how.

earl39
09-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Cliff did you put the feeler gauge in like on the video and then raise the bolt? The gauge takes up the extra space lost by out of spec ramps on the bolt handle and rear baffle. feeler gauge goes on the baffle ramp, then raise bolt handle all the way up. ramp on bolt handle will ride up on feeler gauge which stays on ramp on rear baffle. Or place the thickest gauge you can between rear baffle and action there at the rear baffle ramp and try to open the bolt.

If it still doesn't work post a pic of the brass that comes out so we can see if we can tell where it is hanging.