PDA

View Full Version : Neck tension help

Pages : [1] 2

Linedog
09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
I have made a mistake and need to know ifI can fix it or not . I am new at this but here goes . I set up my Lee neck sizing die according to their instructions and sized and deprimed my cases , trimmed to all the same length and debured . My new Lee hand primer came and I primed 20 cases , measured out and filled them and started to seat my bullets . The first couple worked great and the next ones the bullet would drop right in with little or no resistance . When I resized I didn't even think of trying a bullet to see if the neck was tight enough , just assumed would be right .now that the cases are primed is there any way I can neck size them again or are they garbage .

foxx
09-13-2013, 08:57 AM
I have re-sized (de-primed) primed cases before. I suppose you should do so very carefully...( it may be safer to just fire the primed case in your rifle without loading with powder and bullet, then de-prime the spent primer ). My guess is your cases did not get necked properly the first time because the collet is getting hung-up inside the die. Before proceeding, take it apart, polish the collet with fine grit sand paper or emery cloth, clean, and then lube with white lithium grease. You may have to do this several times until everything moves freely inside the die. After that, you should be good to go.

Linedog
09-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the information , I will fire off the primed cases and take the die apart like you suggested .

Linedog
09-13-2013, 11:59 AM
I did what you said and took the die apart . The first piece came out ok and the decamping pin was a struggle and is covered in rust , but the tapered , slotted piece will barley move . can't get the MF out . You are right it must be hanging up . These are new Lee dies just came from Titan Reloading last week .have sprayed gun oil on it and will keep trying .

nso123
09-13-2013, 12:52 PM
No need to fire the primers. Take the decapper out of the die and then resize them.

earl39
09-13-2013, 01:29 PM
No need to fire the primers. Take the decapper out of the die and then resize them.
That won't work with a lee collet die

fgw_in_fla
09-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Use the Lee neck size die to v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y press out the primer. Never had one go off.
Yet. I reuse them, too.
Also, I've neck sized brass where I may have missed one or two & I really hate it when I reload & the bullet falls in the case full of powder.

You're not alone.

Linedog
09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Not sure if I am brave enough to try that , I think that I will fire off the primers and decap and resize them .I did what foxx said and got the collet out and all shined up and seems to move freely now .Thanks for all the help . My wife keeps asking " what are you doing down there ". She can't if quire out why I'm down in the basement so much .

fgw_in_fla
09-13-2013, 02:07 PM
I can understand the reluctance to punch out a hot primer. The first time I did it I had my old drag racing fire suit on along with a full face shield, gloves, fire extinguisher next to me, bucket of water in the room.

Once you try it once its pretty easy.

Still scary, but easy.

brtelec
09-13-2013, 02:33 PM
I have deprimed quite a few hot primers. I imagine there is some risk involved but I use a universal decapping die, and just as fgw said, I go really slow. I have not had a problem.

scope eye
09-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Just put some safety glasses on, and go to town It's just a primer, or submerge the case in liquid, it is not rare for me to set off a couple of primers, from a new tray just to see how hot they are, there is a difference from batch to batch.

Dean

fgw_in_fla
09-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Yeah.... Its just a primer.
You can put that on the fire report & tell the insurance co. that...

Remember - NO IMPACT. Press slow & smooth. Treat like a lady.

Maybe that's not a good idea either.
No Impact.

MacDR
09-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Titan sold you a rusty die? Call them and explain what you discovered and give them the chance to correct their mistake. Post their response so we know what happened.

foxx
09-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Rather than firing the empty case in your rifle, another option might be to use a long handled pair of channel locks to hold 'em over a flame a couple of minutes. You could do it right there in your basement. You might want to wear good hearing protection, though... if your wife is anything like mine, you'll need them!

MacDR
09-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Really, heat the cases till the primer goes bang???

I have deprimed hundreds of surplus 7.62 nato ammo with my full length sizer. Just go slow. You can reuse the primers or put them in an oil filled bottle before disposing of them.

eddiesindian
09-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Titan sold you a rusty die? Call them and explain what you discovered and give them the chance to correct their mistake. Post their response so we know what happened.

+1..............
as far the primers?.....chamber and fire them to let your mind at ezz....
Ive personally deprimed live primers bunch of times over the past 30 yrs

scope eye
09-13-2013, 07:32 PM
+1..............
as far the primers?.....chamber and fire them to let your mind at ezz....
Ive personally deprimed live primers bunch of times over the past 30 yrs

When I do that, I can't find my cat for three days, and my dogs starts whining to go fetch the fresh kill.LOL

Dean

stangfish
09-13-2013, 09:07 PM
To this whole situation.... Wow!

As others have said pushing primers out is no big deal. Just do it. Piss on Titan for that. Lee collet dies are a piece of junk that works good if you do this and do that and turn it and do it again.

Your lucky if you dont push the shoulder out and can't chamber your round. I guess once you get use to it it will load just as good as say an RCBS die. NOT

eddiesindian
09-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Ive been using Lee dies for the many yrs....been using collet in 4 different calibers and never had an issue....junk?......I think not....
the world of reloaders is so subjective to say the least

brtelec
09-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I have had nothing but good luck with my Lee Collet neck dies. I use them for all calibers that are not for semi-autos or my lever guns. I have had custom collet dies made for calibers they do not offer also. I would not be as surprised by a bad die as I would with RCBS or Redding, but I would hardly call them junk, and their customer service is excellent.