View Full Version : Neck tension help

Pages : 1 [2]

stangfish
09-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Anything that leaves grooves in the outside of a case neck and has the potential to force the shoulder out of spec is junk. When my lapua brass looked like it had been run through a HK I put it on the shelf and left it. I think the concept is great but after using my starret small bore gauges and found .003 taper I decided to tear it apart and look at it. I feel that if it was made by a company that was interested in quality machining they could make the Collet Die system a formidable nemisis in the reloading die market. I am OK if you disagree with that observation. I don't find the need to out cheap everyone and on the same token I don't feel the price of an object determines quality. My experience determines that.

MacDR
09-15-2013, 10:00 AM
I can only recount my own experience. I use the collet dies in three calibers, 223, 308Win and 35 Rem without any problems. The 35Rem is particularily sensitive as it has only a slight shoulder and cases that are sized too much will suffer early failure in the form of neck splits. I neck size only even though my rifle is a pump action. I do the same for 308 Win which I use in my 99f. Now these are hunting rifles and my accuracy expectations are in keeping with this designation. My .223 is a varmint model which means it should have closer to target rifle accuracy. With collet die neck sized brass and careful attention to consistency in loading components and process and shooting from a bench rest this rifle will give .5 or better MOA all day. Now I am only a sample of one so it would be presumptuous of me to draw any general conclusions about Lee dies or other reloading equipment based just on my own experience. If I were so inclined I would declare all Lyman dies junk because I had to send one back that had such rough cut threads that it felt like there was sand in the connection.

Linedog
09-15-2013, 04:06 PM
I emailed them yesterday (Saturday) and explained what happened , I'll see if they respond . Their website says not to call as they are too busy to answer the phone . I did what foxx said and took the die apart ,clean it and it works fine now . I chickened out on depriming the brass and just fired them off in the basement after my wife went for a walk :)

eddiesindian
09-16-2013, 07:59 PM
well done.
I kinda figured you,d go that route....besides.....you know the wife would have reamed you a new one if she knew what you were up to.....olololo