PDA

View Full Version : Hp's don't always chamber correctly

Pages : [1] 2

mugsie
09-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Anyone else had this problem? When chambering hollow point ammo, it jams on the feed ramp, forcing it will drive the bullet into the chamber. I thought it was because of the length, but tried loading some to the col specs in my Speer manual, and they jam too. All other ammo loads fine, it seems to happen only with HP's.
Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue?

scope eye
09-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I am going to be following this one closely, this is definitely a new one for me, sorry if I am no help, but am always willing to learn.

Dean

missed
09-03-2013, 07:28 PM
I have not, what magazine type do you have? Almost seems like your magazine is tilted or the follower is hanging.

scope eye
09-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I have seen the follower in backwards, but it loaded all bullets poorly not just HPs.

Dean

fgw_in_fla
09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
I had to Dremel a wee bit of a bevel where the HP's would bump the edge of the barrel on the way in & stop dead. It only did it with HP's - never with Nosler BT's of any other tilled bullet.

The copper colored mark where it was hitting made it an easy fix.

Don't know if this helps but thought it was worth a shot. Let us know...

mugsie
09-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Fgw_in_fla, that's what I was thinking too, maybe a little dremmeling? How did that work for you?

The follower isn't in backwards, it will only go in one way. It's a really frustrating problem because I go to quickly chamber another round and "donk" it slams to a stop forcing me to move my head from the stock and fiddle with the round to get it loaded.

stangfish
09-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Got pictures?

fgw_in_fla
09-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I used the Dremel to cut just a wee bit if a bevel right where I saw the copper mark. Mine only did it when chambering slowly. If I was shooting rapid succession, the cartridge would jump right over it.
Just take your time & remember - the metal you're cutting is very hard. Cut slow, add a little oil to remove heat & chips, clean THOROUGHLY, inspect, chamber a few dummy rounds and then off to the range.

Also, if you ever change the barrel to a different action the chance of it lining up perfectly are pretty slim. Not that it's of any consequence. You just might have to cut another small bevel.

mugsie
09-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking the mag was put in 180 degrees out when it was bedded. The follower has a cutout on one side which rides up and down on a ridge in the mag. Looking from the stock to the barrel, in shooting position, is the cutout on the left or the right? The follower also has two bevels on it, a small bevel and a longer bevel, or ramp. On this rifle, the longer sloped bevel is at the rear, towards the stock. I think this is incorrect, but the only way this can happen is if the mag was inserted backwards. Where should the cutout be?

davemuzz
09-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I had that same issue on my Model 25 in .17 Hornet. The .17 Hornady's would feed just fine, but when it came to the .17 Berger's, the Berger's didn't have the polymer tip and had the small hollow point. So, it was just that little "blunt point" that would jam into the action on the M-25 (not the barrel....but the same theory). What I did to correct it was I took a small file and just a few strokes at a time on each side of the magazine feed lips (underside of mag feed lips) shave off a little of the plastic. (I'm sure you are working with metal on the "big boy" rifle.) It didn't take much to get the angle right for the Berger's to then just miss the "the wall."

You may want to look at doing a little filing on the feed lips.....as I read on another forum where an old Gunsmith posted.....Work on the cheap part first.....if you screw that up, $10 is a lot less than the $300 barrel.

Just saying.....

Dave

fgw_in_fla
09-03-2013, 09:11 PM
I like Dave's way of thinking. I guess I forgot the first rule of trouble shooting....
Go for the obvious first. 99% of the time it's right there.

The file thing is a good idea, too. Less chance of screwing up a perfectly good barrel. If you can get it to where it needs to be, of course.

scope eye
09-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Dave's way of thinking, is known as occam's trigger.LOL

Spanky

fgw_in_fla
09-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Occam's Trigger?...

Pretty funny. I like that.

SlimySquirrel
09-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Man I had the same on my .223 and was told to tweak the mag a bit. It helped but the issue wasn't completely fixed. Something about the feeding being too high..... Was a pain in the bottom!

scope eye
09-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Although I would hate passing up any chance to use a grinder.

Spanky

LHitchcox
09-04-2013, 07:17 AM
A slight change in seating depth might help. Some of the hp's run longer and could hit the breech face before tipping up. Had that with Hornady .257s in 120 hp.

CharlieNC
09-04-2013, 07:25 AM
I had similar problem when I changed over to a CDI dbm and it was necessary to file the lever which holds the mag in place such that the mag was lower in the receiver. Try bending the lips or making a spacer to lower the presentation of the bullet to the chamber.

fgw_in_fla
09-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Sounding more & more like going after the lesser of two evils.

A little magazine feed lip tweaking may be the order of the day.

scope eye
09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
What no grinding.

You Fun Kill

Spanky

fgw_in_fla
09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
What no grinding.

You Fun Kill

Spanky

Hey my Brother from another mother,
If you need to grind, grind away my boy, grind away....

Far be it from me to EVER prevent or discourage another man from using the power tools.