PDA

View Full Version : Best Bipod for Model 11

Pages : [1] 2

GunDog72
08-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Hey guys, I've been looking to get a bipod for my Savage model 11 .243. I definitely want a good quality bipod but I still don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it, $50 or under is the goal but I could maybe do a little more. I don't want a really tall bipod 6-9" is what I'm looking for, this will mainly be used for crows and maybe some deer if I'm hunting on the ground. Any tips you can give will help. Thanks:cool:

big honkin jeep
08-22-2013, 05:06 PM
This is one of those things that may look the same but aren't. Been there done that. Save your nickles and dimes and buy a Harris. The knockoffs don't even come close. I wound up giving away my knockoffs on another site.

GunDog72
08-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Ya, I know that (especially on guns) you get what you pay for, but since I'm not planning on using it much I was wondering if one of the Black Hawks would be worth the money? All that I really care about is that It's not to bulky easy to engage/disengage and that it is a stable bipod.

big honkin jeep
08-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Here's my $.02 on bi pods
Well they are all bulky cumbersome and add weight. I don't even use them on my hunting rifles because of this. I feel they are just in the way on a hunting rig and I can prop up on what ever is available be it a backpack,my knee or a tree etc.
The stable part is where you'll notice the difference between a Harris and a knockoff like a Wal Mart Blackhawk or Winchester or whoever else sold their name for merchandising. The Harris will be stable through the shot whereas the others wont. It really shows up on 100 yard targets.
If you just want to look cool then the others make fine fashion accessories. If you want something that works spend a little extra and get a Harris. you can find a decent one for under a hundred shipped.

snowgetter1
08-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Caldwell is a good one. I like them and they are about $30-40.

stangfish
08-22-2013, 05:56 PM
I think you should get the cheaper one. The story will end in one of two ways.
1) This was perfect and the harris snobs can kiss my grits...or
2) That old saying buy once, cry once is certanly true when it comes to quality.

Go watch an F/TR event and see if you find any Cadlwells or China Star bipods on the line. If you do see one look at the points at the end of the match.

A front bag is certainly another option.

big honkin jeep
08-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Dang Stang. would you really do that to him?
I guess it's not that much of an expensive lesson. He'll only be out $40 or so and like you say may like it.

GunDog72
08-22-2013, 09:20 PM
I think that first of all I'm going to see if I can't get a nice used Harris on Ebay for a good price, if not I may look at some other options.

snowgetter1
08-23-2013, 08:34 AM
If I ever break one of the caldwells I will let you guys, Harris snobs, know.

GunDog72
08-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Its not breaking them that I'm worried about, its how steady and reliable they are while shooting.

stangfish
08-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Uhhum, I have a Caldwell, I am not just speaking out my rear. I do believe that if you have no need to shoot very tiny groups on a piece of paper and as long as you secure the fasteners, you can do just fine with it. A handy fella can do all kinds of things to make them better as well. So yes. Harris is a superior bipod. Is it required? Absolutely not!

snowgetter1
08-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Stangfish you have convinced me. Next bipod I buy I will get a Harris and give it a shot. Thanks for the input.

Silvercrow1
08-24-2013, 12:25 AM
GunDog- I found a 6-9" Harris on Amazon for $70.00. MIND YOU it was not the swivel type. I LOVE it. Then a few months ago, I was at my favorite LGS and he had a used 13-25" Harris used in great condition; sold it to me for $40.00. BOTH are rock steady.

Now, I've never used "cross-sticks" but some hunters swear by them- for stability, portability, etc. Ones I've seen that are quality made are still in the $50.-$70.00 range.

Question- are you sure a 6-9" is gonna be enough for crows / etc.? I know it depends on the terrain you normally shoot. Here in Pa. in the North East, I've hunted crows and Starlings (hey, they are a nusiance and FUN to blast at longer ranges), and I opt for the 13-25". Just seems more versatile. Then again, I don't prone shoot these critters..

Brian

GunDog72
09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, its been a while since I've been on, thanks Brian for the comments. I just got my new Harris 6-9 bipod today and so far I'm very happy, can't wait to take it out soon and shoot with it. As far as being too low I think it will be perfect for what I'm going to do because I always shoot prone when I can, and I always have been told and have found out through my own experiences that it's best to shoot from a stance that is as close to the ground as possible. Hope to try the bipod out tomorrow if not I will this weekend, I'll let yall know how it works. Thanks again. Cole

stangfish
09-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Awesome Cole. Do let us know.

M_Trivette
09-12-2013, 11:55 PM
First to the OP. I bought a cheap $ 27 utg leapers bi pod from amazon that I used on my LAR-15 for a year and it does work. I do feel I got my money's worth from it and have moved it to my 10/22 ruger.

i did shoot my model 11 savage with it a few times and while it is functional I feel it was taking a beating so I am now looking to upgrade.
for hunting a Blackhawk or similar bi pod would prob last a few seasons or more but I shoot more target nowadays so I want sturdy and steady.
Now
I don't want to start a new thread for this so ill ask here.
I am looking to get a bi pod for my savage 11 in a Choate tactical w/ 26 mcgowen 243 varmint contour. I know Harris is good but I really like the Atlas bi-pod for $219.00.
So my question is is the atlas a good bi-pod. I've already rationalized the price but is it worth it?
I prefer the Atlas' modern look to the Harris more classic look.

Thanks
Michael

GunDog72
09-13-2013, 07:06 PM
I just took out the gun and first shot I destroyed a 2 liter at 200yrds (gun sighted for 100yrds) so far I'm very happy with the bipod. The only complaint I have is that I can't get the thing to mount level. I put it on, and I hold the gun level, but when I tighten the set screw it always cants the gun to the left. The only thing I can do is to set the left leg one click higher than the right. I just wanted to ask if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a way I can adjust it, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

thomae
09-15-2013, 10:51 AM
GunDog: Perhaps your sling mount is slightly off center.

GunDog72
09-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I think that as far as the stock goes everything is good, but when I bedded it last winter we didn't get the action bedded completely level, when it's by itself its fine but I can really see it when I use the bipod. The only thing I can think to do is to shim it to one side.

stangfish
09-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I have seen some bent. Might be why the guy was selling it. Pull it off and hold it up to look at it. You might be able to straighten it out if this is the case. If it is the action you could try to put some mole skin on one side or something to shim it and see if it is something you can work with.