PDA

View Full Version : Axis build

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

LoneWolf
09-05-2013, 11:24 AM
The front action screw has a pillar. Do to the design of the axis and this stock the rear is not and I don't believe it would require because the front of the trigger housing sits directly on the stock and the action screw goes through it before entering the threads in the action. On the bottom the pressure is sustained on the front of the trigger guard.

Understand this stock is CNC cut for the Axis. It seems to me maybe bedding the front of the action, but don't see the rear needing it.

I will get some pictures up later. If this doesn't make sense.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

FW Conch
09-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks LoneWolf.....pictures always help! :)......Jim

LoneWolf
09-05-2013, 11:55 AM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/axis_stock_text-20130905-085201_zpsa791d8f3.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/DSCN3894-20130905-085213_zpsebb8685e.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/DSCN3896-20130905-085223_zps0391e717.jpg[/IMG]

Willoughby
09-05-2013, 05:23 PM
tag for later when secret stock info is declassified

LoneWolf
09-07-2013, 05:27 PM
It has a rear pillar now! Took a 1/4 in. pipe fitting cut and ground it to size with a dremel. Then I opened the hole up with a drill. Took about 1hr to get it just right after setting up my new work station.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/DSCN3901_zpse5bf4417.jpg

thermaler
09-07-2013, 07:58 PM
tag for later when secret stock info is declassified Requires top-secret clearance or membership in the Congressional armed services committee.

thermaler
09-07-2013, 08:04 PM
When you tighten the action screws, the wood between the action and the head of the action screw can actually become deformed or compressed, so you may end up not applying a precise and repeatable amount of pressure between the action and the stock. With pillars, the amount of compression between the head of the screw and the action is reduced to an amount that approaches zero.

The object is to have the action and the stock always in the exact same relationship (repeatability corresponds to greater precision) and that usually happens better with a pillar bedded action and stock.Ah--I think I got a bit confoosed--I think of a pillar bed as a solid metal bed upon which the receiver rests on--not simply the sleeve that the receiver screws go up through.

LoneWolf
09-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Kind of thought that was the point of the name "pillar" bedding. Pillars are used to reinforce structures. In this case the connection between the action and stock by reinforcing the stock.

daviscustom
09-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Ah--I think I got a bit confoosed--I think of a pillar bed as a solid metal bed upon which the receiver rests on--not simply the sleeve that the receiver screws go up through.

Nope, what you are talking about is a full length bedding block that the receiver/barrel rests in.

Pillar bedding just makes it so you can torque your receiver screws consistently without the stock crushing when you tighten it down....just like Thomae said.

thermaler
09-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Nope, what you are talking about is a full length bedding block that the receiver/barrel rests in.

Pillar bedding just makes it so you can torque your receiver screws consistently without the stock crushing when you tighten it down....just like Thomae said.Got it--I just assumed that all stocks had to have a pillar bed--do finished rifles ever come without them?

daviscustom
09-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Yes, many don't have them. It is a common upgrade that is done when bedding the action. Often the action and first couple inches of the barrel are bedded (with Marine tex or Acraglas or something similar) at the same time to help marry the barreled action to the stock and make it so once you tighten the screws down everything should stay where it is supposed to, and hopefully not shift around in the stock every time you pull the trigger. If the action has any wiggle room the vibrations from firing the rifle can cause it to change positions slightly in the stock, causing pressure points on the barrel and action to change.....in turn effecting your point of impact in comparison to previous shots and opening up your group size.

I would say it would be a good project for LoneWolf to go ahead and bed the action once he has tested out his latest upgrade, and see if he can make that rifle shoot even better.

LoneWolf
09-08-2013, 09:39 AM
That's the intent. I'm gaining more confidence in my diy gunsmithing with each project. I knew once I drilled into the stock yesterday there was no Turing back. Same thing will be for the bedding job when I start roughing up the interior to get good adhesion of the bedding compound. It is quite fun to tackle these little projects yourself.

The crazy thing to me is this is the first rifle/firearm I have owned personally and everything is working out on first attempt. I guess I owe it all to proper research and preparation. Along with some advice from the good people on this forum. I will continue to update on the life of my Axis project.

thermaler
09-08-2013, 10:35 AM
That's the intent. I'm gaining more confidence in my diy gunsmithing with each project. I knew once I drilled into the stock yesterday there was no Turing back. Same thing will be for the bedding job when I start roughing up the interior to get good adhesion of the bedding compound. It is quite fun to tackle these little projects yourself.

The crazy thing to me is this is the first rifle/firearm I have owned personally and everything is working out on first attempt. I guess I owe it all to proper research and preparation. Along with some advice from the good people on this forum. I will continue to update on the life of my Axis project.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2All we really care about is where the stock came from. lol, just kidding. Well, mostly : ) What are you using for a bedding compound?

LoneWolf
09-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I was thinking of going with this kit:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop/MatchGrade+Bedding+Products/MatchGrade+Rifle+Bedding+Compound.html

I spoke with Nathan Foster own of the company who developed it and they have quite a bit of information on bedding the Axis and Tikka T-3 that use the stock inbedded recoil lug rather than the standard lug. He's even willing to walk me through it via skype to ensure it is completed without issues. He really stands behind his product.

thermaler
09-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I was thinking of going with this kit:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop/MatchGrade+Bedding+Products/MatchGrade+Rifle+Bedding+Compound.html

I spoke with Nathan Foster own of the company who developed it and they have quite a bit of information on bedding the Axis and Tikka T-3 that use the stock inbedded recoil lug rather than the standard lug. He's even willing to walk me through it via skype to ensure it is completed without issues. He really stands behind his product.That's awesome. Very cool you're showing us all what you do.

LoneWolf
09-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I always do a lot of independent research before jumping into something that has a 50/50 chance of how it will work out. I'd prefer to make the odds more in my favor of going my way if I can.

thermaler
09-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm the opposite--I'm a "**** the torpedoes, full speed ahead" kinda of guy and with a 99% chance of success I'll figure out a way to screw it up. : )

LoneWolf
09-08-2013, 06:50 PM
The thing about this project is I only get one chance with everything because all I have is one stock to play with!

LoneWolf
09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
I made the first cut to start shaping the adjustable butt plat unit I got. It's made out of anodized aluminum, so I realized after the first cut it would take me weeks to do with a dremel and probably about 100 of those little metal cutting discs. I will be picking up a bench grinder next payday to continue that portion of the job.

n4ue
09-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Not to be a smart a$$ but NEVER grind aluminum with a bench grinder. All you will do is clog up the al oxide wheels.
Get a bench type belt sander.

ron