PDA

View Full Version : Axis build

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Anvil
08-31-2013, 12:04 AM
LW, I like what you did with the gun. I would like to see you hit them groups with the stock barrel. I took out my Rem700 and was hitting groups tighter than that at about 300. I need to get out to a bigger range to see what she can really do. You should get a NightForce Scope. Thats what I am using. I think your scope rings are just fine for a man of your caliber. Although cheek weld is important if thats comfortable for you stick with what works. Dont fix what isnt broken. If you hit groupd like that you should be good with where your scope is. You may look into a cheek riser or just build one since that gun is becoming custom. You are doing a good job my friend. I have been doing quite a bit of smithing myself. Recently drilled a hole in the back of the receiver on my 10/22 and shaved the bolt **** near in half on a sanding wheel then polished it. Making it nice and smooth. Now I am cutting out a portion of the bolt catch so it doesnt need to catch as well. Also trigger job and all the works. you know how I roll.

LoneWolf
08-31-2013, 01:33 AM
LW, I like what you did with the gun. I would like to see you hit them groups with the stock barrel. I took out my Rem700 and was hitting groups tighter than that at about 300. I need to get out to a bigger range to see what she can really do. You should get a NightForce Scope. Thats what I am using. I think your scope rings are just fine for a man of your caliber. Although cheek weld is important if thats comfortable for you stick with what works. Dont fix what isnt broken. If you hit groupd like that you should be good with where your scope is. You may look into a cheek riser or just build one since that gun is becoming custom. You are doing a good job my friend. I have been doing quite a bit of smithing myself. Recently drilled a hole in the back of the receiver on my 10/22 and shaved the bolt **** near in half on a sanding wheel then polished it. Making it nice and smooth. Now I am cutting out a portion of the bolt catch so it doesnt need to catch as well. Also trigger job and all the works. you know how I roll.

I'm sure it would group just as well with the stock barrel, but the 20" sporter wasn't going to do what I wanted the rifle to do. I built it and rebarreled for a purpose. This is a custom Rifle already because you can not purchase one from the factory like it. Not an Axis that's for sure. I added a cheek riser already it's in the photos from the range.

Not sure what you mean by a man of my "caliber", but sure whatever you say. As for the Night Force Scope I would rather stick to the one I have since it is of great quality/clarity and fell within my build budget. The gun shoots better than what I was capable of today, but I will get better with it as I get out with it more.

I'm not going to address the Remington comments because I believe there is more to shooting then the brand of rifle.

fgw_in_fla
08-31-2013, 04:25 AM
And the best part is?....

It didn't cost the price of a Remington.

Nice shooting Wolf. Even if you are in California.

That piece of hardware you put together looks better each time I look at it. Nicely done.

fla9-40
08-31-2013, 05:59 AM
LW, I like what you did with the gun. I would like to see you hit them groups with the stock barrel. I took out my Rem700 and was hitting groups tighter than that at about 300.

Like they say...No pics...did not happen!! :p

fla9-40
08-31-2013, 06:02 AM
Looking good LW...Like what you have done with that AXIS!!

LoneWolf
08-31-2013, 09:45 AM
When it comes down to it you can go buy a Remington, Gap, Gunwerks, etc or even a Savage in some cases that will come out of the box doing what the rifle I built does. But the price will usually be anywhere from 2-5 times the cost and you won't have anywhere near the satisfaction of seeing something that you built perform as intended.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

fgw_in_fla
08-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Hey Wolfie -
I meant to ask you, what do you think about that SWFA scope? I've been looking at them recently & considering trying one out.

Your thoughts, opinion, input?

LoneWolf
08-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Well next to a Night Force it's the clearest glass I've peeped through, but I've never looked through a vortex or any of the such. A Leupold here and there I guess. But I love the controls on this scope large solid turrets and cleat audible clicks. It was pretty much dial and shoot once zeroed. I used it in combination with the Strelok+ App on my android phone, together they were very effective.

I didn't do anything special when mounting it either. Just leveled the gun, leveled the scope and went around evenly tightening the screws like you would when changing a tire. It's definitely solid and fixed magnification takes out some of the guess work. I'm very satisfied.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

fgw_in_fla
08-31-2013, 08:33 PM
You prefer fixed magnification over variable?

Sounds like it might be good deal as long as it holds together & the glass is nice & clear. Any idea about their warranty on it?
Ever try a Nikon? Some nice clear glass there, too. At least the Nikons I've put my baby blues up against.

thermaler
08-31-2013, 08:34 PM
I'll second that--IMO, in it's price class, nothing else comes close--just as they say in their advertising. The turrets and focus are very visible and easy to adjust quickly by sight or blind feel. if you prefer reticle hold-over they excel there too--you really need to go take a look at their website for a pic of their mil-quad reticle. The only slight downside to the "budget" fixed mag scopes is that the reticle subtensions are so fine they can be a bit hard to see in bright light at long range. It's a real-world sniper scope--I know a sniper that used them overseas.http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s388/triggerpull/SWFA_SSHD_5-20x50_Subtensions_zps2623972b.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/triggerpull/media/SWFA_SSHD_5-20x50_Subtensions_zps2623972b.jpg.html)

LoneWolf
08-31-2013, 08:54 PM
If you get it makes sure you get the sunshade with it. Worked great here in the SOCAL sun

fgw_in_fla
08-31-2013, 09:17 PM
I'll keep that in mind.
Gents - have a good evening. Just finished a good rainstorm here & after listening to the rain on the roof, I need a nap.

And I need to get ready for tomorrow.

RANGE DAY!!!!
A day where MEN get together & shoot guns, talk guns, live guns. An estrogen free zone.

Later Y'all...

LoneWolf
08-31-2013, 09:35 PM
I like the fixed magnification because with lower end scopes they usually get fuzzy passed 16x or so anyways. I may upgrade to higher mag down the road when I can build another rifle, but for learning the basics of long range shooting it's a more than stellar optic for its cost.

fla9-40
09-01-2013, 07:29 AM
LW seeing it is a fixed power and Mil-dot do the dots get in the way at say 300+ yards...meaning do they cover the target so you don't get a clear picture of the 10 ring?

I've always used the fine reticle so as not to cover the target where I can not see the bulls-eye.

LoneWolf
09-01-2013, 08:57 AM
I didn't view any competition style paper targets passed 100yds the other day. I don't think they would though. They have better reticle choices (for paper shooting) in the MRAD versions that may be more appropriate also a higher magnification would make a big difference in the view at 300 for precision on paper.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

LoneWolf
09-03-2013, 09:31 PM
So After doing the math I realized that my grouping is actually sub half MOA at 100 yards. I estimated it to be roughly .75 inches all the way across if you subtract .308 you end up with .442 (Estimated of Course). I will bring my Micrometer next time.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/1st%20Range%20Trip/Desktop_zpsdbcc9624.jpg?t=1378259102

Anyways, I was thinking about bedding this rifle still, but it's shooting very well without it. What are the views of the guys that have bedded a well performing rifle in a Laminate stock? I've been conversing with Nate Foster of Terminal Ballistics Research and creator of Match Grade Bedding Compound. It sounds like it mostly aids in controlling variations in the stock due to temperature. I don't really know how much more performance I would get from bedding, but it still interests me. Might be more of a longevity of the accuracy maybe?

What do you guys think?

FW Conch
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Lonewolf, does your stock now have pillars? Thanks ..... Jim

thermaler
09-05-2013, 10:19 AM
I've never done a build with a wood stock (yet) but why does a wood stock--which I assume is rigid--need a pillar bed to begin with? Just asking cause I don't know.

thomae
09-05-2013, 10:41 AM
When you tighten the action screws, the wood between the action and the head of the action screw can actually become deformed or compressed, so you may end up not applying a precise and repeatable amount of pressure between the action and the stock. With pillars, the amount of compression between the head of the screw and the action is reduced to an amount that approaches zero.

The object is to have the action and the stock always in the exact same relationship (repeatability corresponds to greater precision) and that usually happens better with a pillar bedded action and stock.

thermaler
09-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Makes sense--I thought the sleeved screw and fixed lug would do the same thing but maybe not enough. Thanks.