PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage Customer Service

Pages : [1] 2 3

TC6969
08-12-2013, 08:58 PM
I bought a Mark II TRR-SR a few months ago and it grouped like a shotgun from the git go.

I tried all kinds of ammo, shot it clean, shot it dirty, shot it with the thread cap off.

Nothing helped!

I decided to contact Savage this morning and their response was almost immediate.

A trouble ticket was issued and I was advised to box it up and send it back.

About the time I got it back in the box and taped up, I received another E-mail with a prepaid UPS label.

From the time I started my original E-mail to the box being scanned at the UPS store, the whole process took 48 MINUTES!

Dennis
08-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I sent an email, and about 15 minutes later, I received a call. All my questions were answered.

:)

TC6969
09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Well, I got it back yesterday along with a target the size of a saltine cracker that has a 100 yard 5 shot group that they are calling .5", but it looks more like .4 and change to me.

Ammo used was Federal Gold Match Ultra Match 40 grain.

I think it will be a while before I see any of that!

At least I know its not the gun.

JCalhoun
09-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Awesome

plinkin
09-20-2013, 02:34 AM
I bought a Mark II TRR-SR a few months ago and it grouped like a shotgun from the git go.

I tried all kinds of ammo, shot it clean, shot it dirty, shot it with the thread cap off.

Nothing helped!

I decided to contact Savage this morning and their response was almost immediate.

A trouble ticket was issued and I was advised to box it up and send it back.

About the time I got it back in the box and taped up, I received another E-mail with a prepaid UPS label.

From the time I started my original E-mail to the box being scanned at the UPS store, the whole process took 48 MINUTES!

I am willing to bet you didn't know you shouldn't have dropped it off at the UPS store and they didn't tell you either.

Silvercrow1
09-20-2013, 09:25 AM
That is SOO good to hear! Glad things went well for you!
I'm getting back into long guns after a many-year hiatus and out of the three I bought this year, two are Savages. If I'd have known what I know and experienced now back then, they'd all be Savages. Although I cant complain about my non-Savage gun. Next year good Lord willin' I'm looking to get a .243 and it WILL be a Savage. GREAT PRICE, GREAT ACCURACY, STURDY BUILD..and now I hear GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. Whats not to love? Brian

TC6969
09-21-2013, 02:36 PM
I am willing to bet you didn't know you shouldn't have dropped it off at the UPS store and they didn't tell you either.

Oh I knew.

I just didn't care!

plinkin
09-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh I knew.

I just didn't care!

I am glad you got away with it but you might care if you knew what the penalty is for improper shipping. I had a guy near Pittsburgh who wanted some of my WSM ammo and I told him I would ship it for $30 (ammo & shipping). What a screwing I was giving him (according to him). The same guy who whined about having a B.Mag and no ammo to sight it in. Well after he cried a river I told him that I could save him $15 shipping but I would risk a 250,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment and never being able to own or purchase a fire arm again not to mention the time and money spent/lost in court. He didn't change his mind but I did change mine. I wouldn't sell him a spend cartridge for a million dollars. Then he started spreading around that web forum how I was putting it to him and actually naming me. I replied to those posts. Some people understood and saw it my way some people didn't. Obviously the mods didn't, I ended up banned, permanently. A lot of that going around these days for me. Oh well, I am not in jail, I am not a felon and as I told the little schmuck before I got banned, I have 17WSM ammo, "you" do not, suck it up.

I am not sure what the penalty is but I expect it is close to what the ammo is. You can get away with things a few times but the more you do something the more likely it will be found out. Had I actually dropped a firearm off at a retail shipper or UPS store or USPS office (which I have never done any of the listed) I would never admit to it anywhere.

TC6969
09-21-2013, 08:09 PM
plinkin.

I'm afraid I've never heard of the crime "Improper shipping", but you seem to be quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Can you steer me to some official documentation explaining this heinous crime and its penalties?

plinkin
09-21-2013, 08:35 PM
plinkin.

I'm afraid I've never heard of the crime "Improper shipping", but you seem to be quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Can you steer me to some official documentation explaining this heinous crime and its penalties?

If I take my time to do that will you guarantee me you will ship a firearm (or ammo) properly the next time or will I just be wasting my time because you will do what you want to do because you do not care?

TC6969
09-21-2013, 08:47 PM
If you take the time to show me where a specific crime called "Improper Shipping" is legally documented and explain how it relates to my situation, I will certainly ship a firearm properly next time.

geargrinder
09-21-2013, 11:05 PM

That's the nice thing about having a prepaid label. They don't need to ask, and usually don't.

In my opinion, which is worth exactly nothing, it was the UPS stores responsibility to make sure they are allowed to take possession of the package. I believe they are the ones who broke the law by accepting a firearm for shipment.

TC6969
09-21-2013, 11:27 PM
That's the nice thing about having a prepaid label. They don't need to ask, and usually don't.

I believe they are the ones who broke the law by accepting a firearm for shipment.

OK since plinkin seems to be having trouble finding the facts on the "Improper shipping" law, maybe YOU can enlighten us on exactly which law YOU think was broken here and who broke it.

Take your time, no hurry.

Tim300wsm
09-21-2013, 11:52 PM
firearms need to be shipped by an ffl holder to a ffl holder i believe. with all the crap swirling around about firearms these days i wouldn't play with fire the 25- 50 bucks most charge is alot better than the possible risk in my book

plinkin
09-22-2013, 12:02 AM
http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Well I have to admit I did not find anything stating there is a penalty for improperly shipping a firearm through UPS.

Sure there is a benefit to having a pre-paid UPS label but when I ship anything through UPS I have a pre-paid label because I have an UPS account.

My problem is that there are signs at UPS stores (and 3rd party retail shippers) that clearly state (among other items) that they can not receive or ship firearms or ammunition from those facilities and since it states above that... Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm ... and although you are not shipping your rifle to another FFL to transfer to another owner so you do not need to provide proof of the FFL it is going to you still need to disclose that you are shipping a firearm whether you or someone else paid the shipping. If you do disclose what you are shipping they will point to the sign and it could get embarrassing from there.

Bow just because I cannot find what the penalty is for not notifying the carrier the shipment contains a firearm does not mean there isn't a penalty. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse from it. Even if it is just a $100 fine, a slap on the wrist and 3 days in the county jail it is to steep for me. My luck would give me a cell mate named "Bubba the Yeti" and I do not need to elaborate on that.

When I ship a firearm that is not considered a handgun (handguns I ship differently) it always ships UPS although thanks to the research I just did I found out I actually can ship it USPS. I still will not ship it USPS even though it is much more convenient for me. I take mine to the local UPS hub, I hand my contact the FFL copy, he looks at my label, gives me a receipt and then I am off and running somewhere else.

Also thanks to you asking me to prove this to you I discovered something I did not know and was not even told by UPS. When shipping a firearm it must be shipped ASR or adult signature required, this is law. I did not know that but the last one I shipped was shipped that way.

PayPal notified me a few months ago that any item over $300 must be shipped ASR. They notified me after I received a $600 payment and had already shipped the item. Within a month eBay had sent out emails to sellers. I am not sure if this is a new policy they have but it is a good one.

Items shipped ASR if shipped UPS has a large red/black label. These labels speak to thieves and say "steal me". Since I have an account, print my own labels the ASR is on the label & bar coded. It is not easily ready, nor does it stand out. Here is the cool tip. Label 6 sides. By labeling all the sides thieves that have bogus shipping labels and usually use them to cover up a legit label and have the package shipped to a false address do not have enough labels to cover 4 - 6 labels.

Anyway,

Just because you can get away with what you did doesn't mean you should try it again and again. It may be inconvenient to spend a little more time going to your local hub or customer center but that extra 20 minutes just might save you from other inconvenient and unwanted time spent with 'the Yeti".

Besides the above I found out a sweet tip for drastically lowering the chances of shipping theft.

plinkin
09-22-2013, 12:07 AM
OK since plinkin seems to be having trouble finding the facts on the "Improper shipping" law, maybe YOU can enlighten us on exactly which law YOU think was broken here and who broke it.

Take your time, no hurry.

TC, I don't sit here with nothing else to do than to answer your questions or wait for the email that says you responded. *rolls eyes*

As I said in my replay, just because I cannot find a penalty does not mean there isn't one. As far as what law, I already stated that.

plinkin
09-22-2013, 12:08 AM

In my opinion, which is worth exactly nothing, it was the UPS stores responsibility to make sure they are allowed to take possession of the package. I believe they are the ones who broke the law by accepting a firearm for shipment.

No, they didn't break the law IF he didn't inform him he was giving them a firearm to ship.

stangfish
09-22-2013, 12:17 AM
This is one of those topics that if you are not sure of the law you have no business even posting. It is a good time to look it up and see if what you believe hasd any merrit.

It would be prudent to move this offline.

plinkin
09-22-2013, 12:17 AM
firearms need to be shipped by an ffl holder to a ffl holder i believe. with all the crap swirling around about firearms these days i wouldn't play with fire the 25- 50 bucks most charge is alot better than the possible risk in my book

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

stangfish
09-22-2013, 12:20 AM
I don't see anything you copied and pasted about shipping to and from a manufacturer. This is apples to oranges.