PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage Customer Service

Pages : 1 [2] 3

plinkin
09-22-2013, 12:27 AM
I don't see anything you copied and pasted about shipping to and from a manufacturer. This is apples to oranges. Why are you doing this?

Stang, although you are always combative and I have to spell things out for you regularly and I never know for sure if you actually end up understanding BUT

Whether shipping a firearm to another individual, a FFL for further transfer, a firearms manufacturer or shipping it to yourself care of another address to where you may be hunting in your home state or out of state you still have to disclose to the carrier you are using that you are shipping a firearm.

Why am I doing this? Hopefully so one of YOU do not make a mistake in the future that costs you dearly. You obvious do not need help. I'll stop now before someone once again feels I stepped on the toes of a paying member.

stangfish
09-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Obviously the mods didn't, I ended up banned, permanently.

Thanks for spelling that out biged

plinkin
09-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Anyway, Thanks to TC I learned a few things I didn't know that will keep me safe on the occasional time that I ship a firearm, hopefully anyone who is able to glean information can do it.

Dennis
09-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Also thanks to you asking me to prove this to you I discovered something I did not know and was not even told by UPS. When shipping a firearm it must be shipped ASR or adult signature required, this is law. I did not know that but the last one I shipped was shipped that way.

ASR is required on all rifles. Pistols are handled differently, added procedures, plus ASR is definitely required.

PayPal notified me a few months ago that any item over $300 must be shipped ASR. They notified me after I received a $600 payment and had already shipped the item. Within a month eBay had sent out emails to sellers. I am not sure if this is a new policy they have but it is a good one.

Could you clarify your statement: "any" item over $300 requires and adult signature. Does this apply to firearm parts?

large red/black label

I thought these labels are for live ammunition, powders, & primers. Some medical supplies are shipped with the same label. The box must be labeled with the sign: ORM-D

I ship and receive parts, ammo, and complete firearms weekly. During visits from the BATF, we are in compliance. When items are sent to the receiving FFL, as long as my FFL is enclosed with the buyers info included, everything is OK.

I avoid UPS stores and use the hub exclusively.

Many of my shipments come straight from the manufacturer or the big supply stores in the USA.

I am a little confuses with some of the above statements.

Please explain the "any item over $300 must be shipped ASR" first.

I wouldn't have any problem asking UPS or the BATF any of the above questions to clarify shipping of our products.

JMO, Dennis

plinkin
09-22-2013, 12:58 AM

ME: PayPal notified me a few months ago that any item over $300 must be shipped ASR.

Could you clarify your statement: "any" item over $300 requires and adult signature. Does this apply to firearm parts?

JMO, Dennis

OK I stand corrected on the dollar amount for PayPal and the fact that I stated ASR (adult signature required) because PayPal wants a signature required on all shipments of $250 or more for seller protection. I said ASR because I wouldn't think the signature of a minor would really hold up in a court of law if it ever had to go that far.

Proof of delivery indicates that the item was delivered to the recipient, and generally comes in the form of an online tracking number. It shows the city, state, and zip to which the package was shipped, the date the package was delivered, and its delivery status. For payments of $250 USD or more, a signature confirmation of receipt is also required. The proof of delivery doesn't need to show the full street address since some shipping companies don't include this information. The city and state or zip code (or equivalent) is normally acceptable.

As far as me mentioning PayPal I didn't mean it in reference to anything firearms related.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US

The other thing that just crossed my mind with the ASR is would it matter if the adult is 18 or 21 since it is unlawful to sell handguns or handgun ammo to someone under 21, would it be acceptable for someone 18 working at the local gun shop to accept and sign for a shipment for the owner of the shop if the shipment was a handgun or handgun ammo.

Since there is not supposed to be labeling on the outside of the package stating it is a firearm I suppose it shouldn't matter because the carrier doesn't know what it is however if it is ammo and labeled ORM-D Cartridges, small arms it is known it is ammunition but not known for what.

I suppose I think of these things because some slick lawyers are always coming up with new and fun ways to interpret the laws.

plinkin
09-22-2013, 01:22 AM
It came to my attention from Stangfish that, at the very least he felt I called TC6969 out for breaking a law. What I had said was "I am willing to bet you didn't know you shouldn't have dropped it off at the UPS store and they didn't tell you either." So if TC or anyone else felt I had "called him out" for law breaking, please know that was not my intent. At that point in the chatversation it was a UPS policy that was broken.

I know no o ne likes being told they did something wrong, so if there were hurt feelings or public embarrassment over that I do apologize, I just SERIOUSLY don't want to see anyone get pinched for something they were not aware of and in this day and age get slapped with some felony charge that they make stick and ruin your fun and hobby.

When I gave the example of the DB that wanted some WSM ammo but wasn't willing to pay for proper shipping it wasn't related to TC. At the time that I was going to ship it to him I was not aware of the penalty of shipping ammo incorrectly. I knew it had to be labeled ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms but that is all I knew. I was astonished to see the price tag it came with though.

It may seem like at times that I am a jerk but I seriously don't think that anyone I interact with here or other forums has the means to afford a 1/4 million dollar fine let alone the other things that come with it. I know I couldn't. I am not even sure what I would do if I had a 1/4 mill to blow. I have almost every gun I want and for the ones I don't have yet I don't need that much to buy them LOL

stangfish
09-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Good form Plinkin. We all need to look after each other, after all there is a bunch of folks that feel very different about our way of life and are willing to make criminals out of us all.

plinkin
09-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Good form Plinkin. We all need to look after each other, after all there is a bunch of folks that feel very different about our way of life and are willing to make criminals out of us all. Thanks Stang, I have been trying to get that across to many of the online shooters. it doesn't matter what or how we shoot whether it be fully auto class III guns or benchrest shooting a Striker or anything in between. We are all shooters and if we don't stick together united, divided we are easy prey.

pdog06
09-22-2013, 07:37 AM
glad you guys kissed and made up.....lol

the posting looked to be headed in the wrong direction...

TC6969
09-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Savage Customer service is Great!

I DID look back at the paperwork and saw a listing on the invoice for a SER001 Repair, so apparently I did have a problem and they fixed whatever it was.

I shot it yesterday and figured out that I'm wasting my time shooting Federal bulk through it, but I did get a much better group with Mini mags and surprisingly Ranger plain lead bulk shot almost as well as the minis.

After I had already packed up, I saw the guy who took over my bench unloading an Anschutz and some Eley Match, so I went over, fell to my knees and begged him out of a dozen rounds.

He also told me where I can get some for a very good price, so next week I'll try the Eley and see what it does.

Stay tuned!

plinkin
09-22-2013, 01:19 PM
glad you guys kissed and made up.....lol

It was a manly kiss I can assure you, no tongue involved.

plinkin
09-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Savage Customer service is Great!

I shot it yesterday and figured out that I'm wasting my time shooting Federal bulk through it, but I did get a much better group with Mini mags and surprisingly Ranger plain lead bulk shot almost as well as the minis.

I use Federal bulk for the most part for plinking, practice and initial scope zeroing. Sometimes it amazes me like this particular rifle that I had sold. At times when I have a rifle on sale on GB I offer different scopes with the purchase for additional money with the promise that I will mount and bore sight them. If I have enough time I will put a few rounds down the pipe and get it close for the buyer and send them the target. This particular Marlin shot better with the generic 3-9x40 scope that came in my DSG M93 combo than with the other scope I had on it.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/capri331/Shooting/Marlin/780/Photo0456_zps197ad22a.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/capri331/media/Shooting/Marlin/780/Photo0456_zps197ad22a.jpg.html)

stangfish
09-22-2013, 01:32 PM
I could still taste the testosterone!

plinkin
09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I number the groups and usually when I am doing a quick 'n dirty zero, such as this one I rush through it as someone else most likely doesn't shoot the same as me. The final group I took my time. Federal bulk, sometimes it works pretty good.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/capri331/Shooting/Marlin/780/Photo0456_zps197ad22a.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/capri331/media/Shooting/Marlin/780/Photo0456_zps197ad22a.jpg.html)

plinkin
09-22-2013, 01:35 PM
I could still taste the testosterone!

Its my cologne

Dennis
09-22-2013, 11:30 PM
ORM-D is also used for many medical supply shipments. I understand it used for other items as well. FYI

plinkin
09-23-2013, 08:34 PM
ORM-D is also used for many medical supply shipments. I understand it used for other items as well. FYI

I believe anything hazardous.

Dennis
09-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Disclosing to the shipper that a firearm is enclosed in the box is more for the safety of their company and employees, just in case someone is shipping one in a hazardous state. The penalty for not disclosing is loosing your privileges with the shipping company. I am still not able to clarify a law unless the weapon is illegal. Thousands of firearms are shipped weekly. Most wouldn't comprehend the firearms shipped across this country. Just follow the law and procedures.

PayPal notified me a few months ago that any item over $300 must be shipped ASR, corrected to reflect $250.00. Probably protects everyone. Shipments lost seem to be on the rise this year. I have my thoughts, but will stop here.

Dennis

plinkin
09-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Shipments lost seem to be on the rise this year. I have my thoughts, but will stop here.

Dennis

I read an interesting article on lost and stolen shipments when I was trying to find the penalty.

Why is it when you send a gun back to the manufacturer you do not need a copy of their FFL? Is it because it is not going back into their name most of the time and gets shipped back to the owner?

missed
09-25-2013, 06:35 PM
I read an interesting article on lost and stolen shipments when I was trying to find the penalty.

Why is it when you send a gun back to the manufacturer you do not need a copy of their FFL? Is it because it is not going back into their name most of the time and gets shipped back to the owner?

Since it's not a transfer and it's going to a licensed party then back to the person that the firearm is transferred to.