PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stuck Bullet!

Pages : [1] 2

Chrazy-Chris
08-05-2013, 11:54 PM
EDIT: Didn't get the bullet out, ordered a new barrel. End of story. Upgraded the rest of the rifle while I was at it. Here is the thread on that: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?27523-My-Plain-Jane-Beat-Around-Reliable-Good-Ol-Huntin-Rifle-Upgrade-Build&p=199151#post199151

That's right, I stuck a bullet.

My dad handloads and I bought him some Barnes 150gr solid copper 270 bullets so he could put together some loads for me to go elk hunting with. In the process of shooting the various loads (I was on the 56.5gr of R22 for the curious ones out there) to see which ones group best, I had a squib. It must have been bad powder because I heard it fizzle out. It must have been just enough to push the bullet onto the rifling, because it didn't make it very far down the barrel.

So I tried beating it out with a brass cleaning rod- broke the cleaning rod. I soaked it overnight with rem oil and lucas oil. Next I tried hammering it out with a 3/16" solid brass rod. I bent the brass rod. Finally I tried hammering it out with a 3/16" steel rod- I figured this was the last resort. I bent the steel rod. I bent it back as straight as possible and continued hammering. Repeat about 16x. The bullet still hasn't budged. All this beating was done from the muzzle end since the bullet is so near the chamber; in fact, I can see the back of the bullet when I look down the bolt opening with the bolt removed. So frustrating!

I am getting a little desperate. This may be a once in a lifetime elk hunt for me and I want to be completely prepared well in advance. I scoured the internet for savage 270 sporter barrels as a last, last resort but have come up completely dry. The only option anywhere near my price range was the E.R. shaw kit (which is longer that I'd like. I preferred my stock 21" barrel) and no one has it in stock. I also saw the Shilen but they also don't have any in .270.

Thanks for any suggestions you can come up with. I'm going to try and call around some gunsmiths tomorrow, but am not sure what they'd be able to do that I haven't already. I think the fact that the bullet is solid copper is really not helping my case.

Apache
08-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Guys, the rules have been violated a lot lately....this thread has the potential to violate them again:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?104-General-Forum-Rules-amp-Code-of-Conduct

these 2 in particular:

5. Linking to or referencing any online auction listings, classified ad listings or other "for sale" items on other sites is not permitted.

6. Engaging in any type of buying/selling/trading outside of the classifieds is strictly prohibited. (also seeClassified Rules (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20374-Classified-Rules))

If you guys find a barrel or have one to sell this gentleman USE THE PM system to help him...don't post it up here.

Good luck Chrazy-Chris

JW
08-06-2013, 06:13 AM
I think your going to have to drill it out
Not an easy chore but possible with extension drill bits and a lathe
Jack

thomae
08-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Have you tried heating the barrel? Using a heat gun on the outside near where the bullet is stuck? It might expand the barrel just enough to help the bullet move.

The other issue is that by pounding on the front of the bullet, you may have expanded it, further compounding the difficulty of the situation. I don't know.

OLEJOE
08-06-2013, 08:55 AM
You might try to " Hydraulic " it out by filling the bore with light oil, then find a rod of some sort that is a tight but not enough to wedge in the barrel. It's messy but it might work. Insert the rod and hit it with the hammer. The oil will be compressed and be pushing on the whole bullet. It will also lubricate it. I hope this works for you.

jb6.5
08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Just fill the barrel with a bore solvent, or better a mild copper solvent , let it do the work before you damage the rifling . Let it set a wile then see if you can push it out. It may take over night for something like hopped 9 to do its job but I think it would work

FW Conch
08-06-2013, 10:13 AM
If time gets too short for you to make the hunt, you could go with a different caliber barrel that is available. A 30/06, 280Rem, 308Win, etc. Good Luck! :) ... Jim

davemuzz
08-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Man....with all of that whaming and beating on the gun barrel, you have to figure at this point....it's one tough bullet to move. IMHO, if your going to drill it.....then you should remove the barrel from the action and start with a small drill in an attempt to center said bit into the bullet. Remember, your dealing with a drill bit that should it strike the rifling here your likely going to damage it. I would do this first on a lathe, and second on a drill press. Once you drill through the bullet, then you can go to a larger bit (Don't go to the biggest one you think will clear it) and proceed to the next size up, carefully checking your progress to see the drill bit isn't touching the bore. Once you get a hole big enough the bullet should be able to be pushed out.

Remember though, you will need a brass rod or a piece of wood that will be larger than the hole you have just drilled, yet still fit inside the bore.

And yes....Kroil will be your friend for an overnight soaking before you begin beating out this bullet.

Again....JMHO

Dave

Apache
08-06-2013, 11:24 AM
IMHO, once you hammered that steel rod you probably damaged the rifling.

If you get that bullet out, examine the rifling to check for damage. If it's damaged, I suggest another barrel.

sharpshooter
08-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Look for a new barrel...yours is already screwed.

wbm
08-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Look for a new barrel...yours is already screwed.

Oh yeah.

Nandy
08-06-2013, 05:31 PM
It must have been bad powder because I heard it fizzle out.

If when you pulled the brass out you did not find any powder i will say it was more likely a no powder charged load or it had very little in it.

Put your energy in a new barrel. I hate when these things happens...

Chrazy-Chris
08-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Thank you all very much. This is a very helpful forum and I look forward to interacting with you all some more in the future. This is an older savage (cheesy push-button mag release button on the side of the cheapo synthetic stock, pre-accutrigger). I already upgraded to a Timney trigger which is pretty sweet. I've always wanted to upgrade the stock on this rifle and convert it to a blind mag in the process since I've had feeding problems as well. I'll probably be calling on you all for some more of your friendly advice.

As for the stuck bullet, I don't have a lathe and don't feel comfortable sticking a drill bit down the barrel using a drill gun, so I made contact with a gunsmith today. I'll be dropping off the rifle tomorrow and will let you all know the results. Hopefully I haven't screwed up the barrel already with the steel rod, but I'm keeping my eye out for a new barrel just in case.

eddiesindian
08-06-2013, 08:42 PM
how deep is it into the barrel?
I had a buddy of mine come across this issue as well. He got lucky in the way that he apparantly didnt get powder into that particular rd. so with that said, the primer was sufficient enuff to get projectile into the barrel about 2-3".
I found some brass rods at a local hobby shop yrs back. I keep them in all my rifle case,s for "just in case". they have several diameters and there 3ft long. I picked up 2 that are .300 and another 2 of smaller dia. for smaller caliber.
I was able to get his projectile out but it did infact beat the holy crap out of the brass rod. the bullet,s tip did mushroom quite a bit but his bullets were hollow point.
If i did have to do it again?..... Id use a press as opposed to blows from a hammer.

GaryB
08-06-2013, 09:14 PM
That's right, I stuck a bullet.

in fact, I can see the back of the bullet when I look down the bolt opening with the bolt removed. So frustrating!

If you can see the bullet from the breech end, is there any chance you might be able to drill and tap the bullet and then use a puller to remove the bullet? Similar to removing a stuck case from a die.

Just a thought. I am no gun smith or machinist, but it may be worth a try.

Gary B.

243LPR
08-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Check your PM

stangfish
08-06-2013, 10:37 PM
If you can see the bullet from the breech end, is there any chance you might be able to drill and tap the bullet and then use a puller to remove the bullet? Similar to removing a stuck case from a die.

Just a thought. I am no gun smith or machinist, but it may be worth a try.

Gary B.

Funny, I drilled the end of a brass rod and epoxied a drill bit into it in order to drill a bullet out one time. Worked like a champ.

teebirdhyzer
08-06-2013, 11:12 PM
I also sent you a pm

Chrazy-Chris
08-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks again guys, I just bought my membership to this forum because you all have been so helpful and kind. Time to finally surf the mysterious classifieds for some other goodies as well...

Chrazy-Chris
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Ended up going with a 30-06 factory barrel from NSS. Hopefully the install goes smoothly and the accuracy is good enough for deer out to about 300yrds. I think I'll be going with factory ammo, at least for this season.

Jim was extremely helpful and a super nice guy. I look forward to giving him some more business the next time I need any savage barrel parts.