PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 FCP with HS Precision stock crack. Help!

Pages : [1] 2

Jeff_C
07-07-2013, 03:45 PM
I have only had this rifle for 1 month. I have done 3 shoots off of a bipod. I pulled the bipod off today and found this crack near the front swivel.

http://i.imgur.com/1BjvBf6.jpg

Does anyone know:
What could have caused this?
Am I able to fix it?

Im worried this will only get worse over time and more shooting. I have been very gentle with the rifle so am confused how this has happened.

darkker
07-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know:
What could have caused this?
Am I able to fix it?

1) looks like you cinched the bipod into the stock. Don't think I would call it a crack, so much as an impression mark.
2) don't know how good you are with epoxy, so you have to answer that one.

Seriously, that swivel stud looks like you beat the snot out of it, so your "being very gentle" and mine are quite different.
I don't think that it will split and fall out, but just keep an eye on things.

Jeff_C
07-07-2013, 04:28 PM
The scratches on the swivel are just from clipping the bipod on and off a couple times. They are purely cosmetic. The bipod clip just struggles to open far enough to smoothly go over the swivel. The bipod also has nothing circular on it that could leave an impression of this nature, being the circular shape that it is. So the only thing I could think would be that possibly it is a stress crack from putting the bipod on too tight. That being said I don't have it any tighter than any other rifle I own and I have had no problems to date.

stangfish
07-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I would call that normal wear and tear. It hurts on a rifle that expensive but it happens.

eddiesindian
07-07-2013, 05:30 PM
from the looks of it. ...it looks as if the the stud was inadvertangly pushed inward....but upon second look and thought....Id say that the bipod was over tightened and it chipp,d the outer surface off of the synth. stock right at the stud.
I presonally have no clue as to how the HS stock is manufactored as far as the stud being intergrated into the stock, but IMO...Id a gree that yes....you might have over tightn,d it.
When ever I install my pod on my HS, I barely put any torque on it. The Harris pod I have can be finger tighten,d due to the style of the tightening screw.

stangfish
07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I don't have a bipod that would leave a mark like that that I can think of. Mine pull on the stud and push on a large surface area cradle. Are we sure this is not just a chip.

Jeff_C
07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I have a Cadwell bipod. I honestly don't know too much about it but it works on my other rifles. It does look like a chip rather than a crack its not really deep. I'm more worried that it could be something that will expand and ruin my entire stock. So I was just wondering what would cause it so I can avoid putting undo stress on it. A read from another place that loading the bipod (putting forward pressure while shooting) could also cause this. I noticed last time I was shooting I did this a couple times cause I've done it in the military. Was really just wondering if anyone else had issues with cracked HS precision stocks

243LPR
07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
What does the stock look like on the other side? If it's not cracked there I'd say it's just a chip in the finish. Buy another bipod and leave it on the gun. Problem solved.

Jeff_C
07-07-2013, 07:19 PM
It is not cracked on the other side. Just the chip around the bottom swivel. May just buy a Harris and leave it on. As long as it doesn't grow I won't even be able to see it. I can live with how it is so long as it doesn't spread. Which I wondering if I should see if a gunsmith in town could just reinforce it.

eddiesindian
07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
If you did "at one time" push the rifle forward while using the pod, Id think that you,d see the chip or removal of the outer dura coat directly at the frt or rear of the stud not to one side or the other.
Gotta keep in mind that when tightening the pod, your pulling on that stud, specially if you grad a screw driver and tighten it abit harder than you think.
Id say as other have said,just keep an eye on it, use what ever pod fits your needs and leave it on.
Ive seen a shooting buddy rip the stud right out of the stock on one of his lower end remies by over torqueing the pod.
Keep us posted.......Im curious. You got me thinking and quickly went to remove my harris and have a look at my hs...no chips/cracks.

Jeff_C
07-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Ya it's quite odd. I've only ever hand tightened and I wouldn't think it would be possible to put enough force to pull it out. But maybe it is I don't really know. I will keep an eye on the thing though to make sure I don't start cracking my stock

big honkin jeep
07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
You didn't by any chance shoot it with the pod on backwards did you?

Jeff_C
07-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Absolutely not. The bipod was on correctly. Do you guys think it is possible to damage a stock through hand tightening? I do put bipods on fairly firmly, but I would have never thought just a hand tightening could do that.

big honkin jeep
07-08-2013, 10:25 PM
do you have a pic of the portion of the pod where it goes over the stud? Is there even anything that could have made contact?

Jeff_C
07-08-2013, 10:41 PM
There is absolutely nothing that can make contact at that point. It contacts further out but not right around the stud. That's the part that really surprises me the most. Right now it's not a huge deal. I'm just worried that since its a heavy rifle once I start walking around with a sling on it it will only spread. Hopefully if that happens though savage will look after me if the whole stock begins to crack.

bodywerks
07-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Soak a little super glue into it and be done with it. It is purely cosmetic. That swivel stud is threaded into a block of aluminum that is part of the pillars so it aint going anywhere...

Olvi
07-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Hi i just bought one myself and the guy who sold me that rifle had one too. He got his own rifle from the backroom and gave some tips. He had washers on those studs. Something about over tightening and studs eating on to the stock.

Jeff_C
07-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Hmmm that really interesting. Do you know what size washers? We're they just big enough to go around the stud or were they larger with more surface area? I don't really understand what they do to prevent the stud from eating into the stock, but I am I interested that someone came up with this. Did you have any pictures by chance?

stangfish
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
I really didn't want to say this but the truth is most H-S Precision stock you look at is cracked in areas like this. Around the trigger guard. Around the bottom metal yada yada. That is just the way they are. Kind of like an ugly woman. What's on the inside counts. You want Purdy I will trade a nice laminate BVSS for it.

big honkin jeep
07-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I have bought several aftermarket stud kits that had little white spacers/washers with them. I always just figured they were cosmetic like white line stock and grip cap spacers. I can see where they would help spread the load when tightening down the studs.