PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 FCP with HS Precision stock crack. Help!

Pages : 1 [2]

Jeff_C
07-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Hmmm I could see how these washers would spread the weight a lot. My local gunsmith told me that it was just the outer coating that cracked and I had nothing to worry about. He said its like when you buy a brand new car that first scratch sucks so much, but the ones after are not as bad. So I'm beginning to realize I guess that it's just cosmetic and I have to live with it. As long as its not cracked or shattering it won't affect performance and I just have to deal with it. Really interesting about the spacers though. I'm going to look that up.

stangfish
07-12-2013, 01:19 AM
:thumb: Now your cookin'

Olvi
07-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Here i took pics how i made it, the size is in incheshttp://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/Olli-Virtanen/IMAG0430.jpg?t=1373521134

And here are the washers inplace just gave them a coat of black paint

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/Olli-Virtanen/IMAG0429.jpg?t=1373521367

Jeff_C
07-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Wow thank you for that. That actually looks really good. I'm going to look into getting myself some washers I think right away. Makes sense that it would spread the stress on the pin a little more evenly. Painted black they look really nice as well in my opinion. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures. I appreciate that

RatMag
07-12-2013, 09:42 AM
I have seen this one happen several times to different HS stocks. It happened on 2 Savage stocks, as well as 1 Remington stock. So no, it isn't a Savage issue. The biggest problem, is the stock material itself. It can be chipped and cracked fairly easy. On the stocks that I have repaired, I use a paddle bit on the channel side, and install a washer and locknut. I have never seen any of my repairs have a problem after that. On a stock that will only see the bench, I don't do anything to them. For stocks that will be carried in the field, those are the ones that I do the washer repairs on.

The repairs that I do, are basically a mimic of what Tom Manners does with his stocks as standard. Manners is the best in my opinion.

DK

Jeff_C
07-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Sorry I am newer to rifles. Could explain more in layman terms where you place the locknut for this repair. If this is a reoccurring issue I would like to get something on there to stop any possible spreading as soon as possible.

Jeff_C
07-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Sorry I understand now. Just wondering what the locknut on the back side does? Keep the stud more secure? Prevent it from drilling further into the stock?

thomae
07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
The locknut keeps the nut from loosening. You can do accomplish the same functionality with the appropriate threadlocker.