PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to Boyds and Stocky's

Pages : [1] 2

brasse
07-06-2013, 04:54 PM
The only thing that prevents the Accustock models from fitting is that recoil lug. And even that could be milled out of the aftermarket stock.

I really don't know why Boyds and Stockys don't offer that as an option. The could charge $25 for a 15 second job and service a greater part of the market.

rattfink
07-06-2013, 04:59 PM
I thought the accustock lug was smaller...If it is smaller couldn't it be made to fit with a dab of bedding compound?

And couldn't you also fix it with a $25 after market recoil lug?

Honest questions on my part.

stangfish
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Ratfink you are correct. There are other issues though. Like if it is a side or bottom bolt release. The bottom release has a wider trigger guard and the release may need some clearance work. It gets more complicated if you are swapping the other way.

brasse
07-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Here is the two recoil lugs

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/brasse/SAV10AS-2_zpseab7b517.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/brasse/media/SAV10AS-2_zpseab7b517.jpg.html)

The $25 recoil lug also needs barrel wrenches, go - no go gages and for some people a gun smith.

So with their computer controlled milling machines they could designate some stocks for Accustock use, make a higher profit and serve more people.

They are doing that now by letting us choose what butt pad to install, and Boyd's has a whole bunch of other options. Now that Savage is pretty much gone to the center-feed, bottom magazine and botton boly release near the trigger guard, the stock makers are going that way too.

Of course this also brings to question why no stocks for the Axis.

rattfink
07-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Gotcha! I do see how they could offer it as on option but folks who spend for the accustock tend to want to keep it. So I am not sure enough people would pay the bit extra to make it worth their while, especially with other options for folks to swap to another stock from an Accustock.

Now the bolt release, I think Savage will go more and more to the bottom and hopefully the aftermarket with adjust fire.

scope eye
07-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Is there a stainless steel trigger guard available for the bottom bolt style bolt release.

Dean

brasse
07-06-2013, 06:55 PM
I think the Bear Hunter has stainless:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/16BH

scope eye
07-06-2013, 07:06 PM
I wonder how you could get a part number, since savage won't sell you one without one.

Dean

stangfish
07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Brasse, Are you saying that the accustock recoil lug does not fit in the laminated stocks provided by the distributors you mentioned?

brasse
07-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Savage web site is shut down for 2 weeks. So even with a part number can't find out

stangfish
07-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Have you had this issue or is it a perceived problem? I never had an issue with the accu-lug going right in the boyds stock. Its outside dimensions are smaller than a standard lug. It drops right in.

stangfish
07-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Is there a stainless steel trigger guard available for the bottom bolt style bolt release.

All weather warrior(newer models) trigger gaurds are stainless and bottom bolt release.

scope eye
07-06-2013, 10:05 PM
All weather warrior(newer models) trigger guards are stainless and bottom bolt release.

Tanks for the tip:cool:

Dean

stangfish
07-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I could probably get you a serial number to help get you the part if you wanted me to.

scope eye
07-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I could probably get you a serial number to help get you the part if you wanted me to.

If you did I would take back all those bad thing I said about you, and stop from spreading new ones.:rofl:

SPANKY

stangfish
07-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Nevermind.

SlimySquirrel
07-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Ok so you guys are saying that The difference is a wider Trigger guard and the Lug being smaller?

That seems like a "easyish" job to fix on a laminate for someone with limited skills such as mine.... Just be sure to get the right action spacing and your are basically sorted right?

stangfish
07-07-2013, 12:40 PM
You are correct. The Sky is not falling and the trigger guard slot needs about .025 per side removed.

brasse
07-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Actually this entire thread was in response to all the negative posts on Accustock replacement stocks. Everything is ALWAYS, YOU CAN'T DO THIS, YOU CAN'T DO THAT. I have been long range looking at replacing my Accustock, nearly everything I was looking at would work, except one stock that is listed as Savage and Remington but "unfortunately" isn't available for the Savage.

thomae and stangfish love to stir the pot. Hook line and sinker.

BThhr
07-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I put the bigger lug in on my accustock. I milled it out and put some bedding compound on each side to get a good fit

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta