PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Tacticool for centerfire?

Pages : [1] 2 3

burdickjp
07-03-2013, 11:53 PM
For some background:
I shoot prone with a sling.
Having spent the majority of my adult life with my hands wrapped around the plastics of a black rifle. Subsequently, I feel more comfortable with more vertical grips. I have a Boyds Tacticool stock for my 93R17, and enjoy it. The grip itself is a bit thick for my preferences, but it being laminate means I can easily change that.
I'm looking for a stock for my 12 FV .223.
Does anyone have any experience with the Tacticool on a center fire? thoughts? Opinions?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

burdickjp
07-06-2013, 11:09 PM
I think I'm going for the Boyd's. Now I'm looking at what will be involved in converting it to a DBM.

seanhagerty
07-07-2013, 09:21 AM
I put a tacticool on a 300 RUM build I have started shooting.

I like the stock. I had to open the barrel channel a bit to accept the heavy barrel. It fit the barreled action well, sits well on the atlas bipod, and seems to ride the bag well. It is a laminate wood, that I thought was composite until I opened the barrel channel a bit. The finish is a flat black, that seems to have a bit of texture to it. Dual swivels up front and a single swivel in the rear allow for a bipod and a sling. The shape of the stockfit me well, but I realize that everyone holds theirs differently.

I will use this stock for future builds.

243LPR
07-07-2013, 09:45 AM
So there's enough wood in the barrel channel to open it up for a varmint weight barrel without thinning it out too much? I asked Boyds this and they never answered me. Any pics?

burdickjp
07-07-2013, 01:28 PM
So there's enough wood in the barrel channel to open it up for a varmint weight barrel without thinning it out too much? I asked Boyds this and they never answered me. Any pics?

I think it's already open enough for the varmint barrel.

burdickjp
07-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Just got my stock in. It is opened up for a varmint barrel. It took some work to fit the trigger guard and blind mag.
I am happy that this is likely an improvement over the stock plastic, but won't be satisfied until this has a DBM and is bedded.

nockhunter
07-18-2013, 12:28 AM
I was just going to post a few questions on the tacticool stock. How does it feel shooting offhand? I think it will be ok shooting off bipods and bags.
I was wondering what the stock looked like with the black finish removed? Does any one have a pic of the stock with the black finish removed?

Thanks
Mike

missed
07-18-2013, 08:31 AM
I am really looking into one, I want to be able to make the factory DBM work, I have thought about cutting the aluminum block out of my tupper wear accustock and putting that in stock.

burdickjp
07-19-2013, 12:35 AM
I have thought about cutting the aluminum block out of my tupper wear accustock and putting that in stock.

Now THAT sounds interesting. I was looking at getting a Whidden bedding block and milling it for a centerfeed mag. Then milling the stock to match.

I was just going to post a few questions on the tacticool stock. How does it feel shooting offhand? I think it will be ok shooting off bipods and bags.
I was wondering what the stock looked like with the black finish removed? Does any one have a pic of the stock with the black finish removed?

I shoot with a sling, though with a recent trip to the range to see how the local F-class league looks, I think I need to either get REALLY good from a sling or start shooting off a bipod to be competitive.
The stock, to me, feels rather good off-hand. Just like my rimfire tacticool, it's a wee bit big in the grip area for my tastes, but I'm used to ARs of the issued variety. Luckily that is easy to fix.

It probably looks very similar to their 93/Mark II Tacticool stock, which can be had unfinished from MidwayUSA:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/298176/boyds-tacticool-rifle-stock-savage-mark-ii-93-series-heavy-barrel-channel-unfinished-laminate

nockhunter
07-19-2013, 12:59 AM
I think it will make a good varmint gun stock. I am in the market for a woodchuck/coyote type stock, that is where the shooting off hand comes in. The pic on midway's site looks like it will be OK with a stain and a few coats of satin poly. I wish I could get it unfinished from Boyds. It would save me the trouble of removing the black finish.

Thanks
Mike

missed
07-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Now THAT sounds interesting. I was looking at getting a Whidden bedding block and milling it for a centerfeed mag. Then milling the stock to match.

I shoot with a sling, though with a recent trip to the range to see how the local F-class league looks, I think I need to either get REALLY good from a sling or start shooting off a bipod to be competitive.
The stock, to me, feels rather good off-hand. Just like my rimfire tacticool, it's a wee bit big in the grip area for my tastes, but I'm used to ARs of the issued variety. Luckily that is easy to fix.

It probably looks very similar to their 93/Mark II Tacticool stock, which can be had unfinished from MidwayUSA:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/298176/boyds-tacticool-rifle-stock-savage-mark-ii-93-series-heavy-barrel-channel-unfinished-laminate

That was my other thought was to buy the Whidden block but the thought had crossed my mind on the accustock block which is ready to go soon as it was out of the stock.

missed
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
I think it will make a good varmint gun stock. I am in the market for a woodchuck/coyote type stock, that is where the shooting off hand comes in. The pic on midway's site looks like it will be OK with a stain and a few coats of satin poly. I wish I could get it unfinished from Boyds. It would save me the trouble of removing the black finish.

Thanks
Mike

I don't know why they won't sell them UN finished

CAPTBEACH
08-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Did I see in another thread that Boyds was coming out with a Tacticool DBM stock soon? I am assuming it takes Savage DBM parts...

missed
08-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Did I see in another thread that Boyds was coming out with a Tacticool DBM stock soon? I am assuming it takes Savage DBM parts...

I hope your right!

teddy12b
08-05-2013, 09:01 AM

I also hope you're right! I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

missed
08-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Maybe if enough of us want a DBM tacticool we can go to boyds as a group and see if they will make a run of them. There more likely if they know they can sell x amount right off the bat.

teddy12b
08-05-2013, 01:42 PM
I've got one of their tacicool stocks on my savage mk II FV-SR and I love it. Are you proposing a "group buy" of sorts? The more I look at the cost of some of the tactical stocks out there it's just a no brainer to buy a Boyd tacticool at the $100 they charge and if it was $200 I still think it'd be a no brainer.

missed
08-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I've got one of their tacicool stocks on my savage mk II FV-SR and I love it. Are you proposing a "group buy" of sorts? The more I look at the cost of some of the tactical stocks out there it's just a no brainer to buy a Boyd tacticool at the $100 they charge and if it was $200 I still think it'd be a no brainer.

Yes I am, I wonder if we had a group buy if boyds would be more motivated to build them and possibly a break on price.

teddy12b
08-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Yes I am, I wonder if we had a group buy if boyds would be more motivated to build them and possibly a break on price.

If you are going to take charge of the group buy, count me in for one.

missed
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Well I need two now, maybe three

Teddy for one,

Who else?