PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 5R Mil Spec 24" fluted 11:25 twist and 150GR SMK

Pages : [1] 2

eddiesindian
06-18-2013, 10:42 PM
This is what I gave myself for fathers day this past sunday.
Great day to send em out to 1K
3 hits measuring 1.5" at 1000 yds using simple 150gr SMK,s/RL-15 and a simple $150.00 BSA Tactical 6x24x44.
I hit this plate often at 1000 with patterns from 2" to 7" to 10...but this sunday was one of the best fathers day presents:(..... I knew my patterns were close, but I my jaw dropp,d when I went to take down my shooting alarm system at 1000.
Im posting this for "certain" disbelievers....if ya wanna continue disbelieving thats your choice (frankly I could care less)
Ive been part of several shooting forums for many yrs and for the most part, I hold Savage Shooters as one of the best. Always like to keep it honest,professional,productive.
Ive been reloading for the past 35yrs and everytime out is an everytime learning expierence, from getting lucky to calling the wind to correct body to firearm applications to really doing your homework and applying everything youve learned in that time span.
I know for a fact that some luck and some expierence and some luck from the wind gods from above was involved in this but hey!...it was fathers day. I only wish that my boy would have been out there with me to celebrate the outcome. If Id of known that the shooting gods from above were going to bless me with such an occassion, Id of film,d, but the fact of the mastter is?... I didnt. All I have are these hit marks on my hit alarm system, but believe you me... Its gives me great joy and satisfaction that my Savage came thru.
Theres 2 hits almost touching each other at about 6 and 1 to the upper right of those two. Theres a piece of black paint that chip,d off right below the 2 that are sitting together.
My appologize for my rant....but I was raised to defend myself.:thumb:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/1Kalarm001_zps128c4a21.jpg

eddiesindian
06-18-2013, 10:44 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/SavageModel10FPC001-1.jpg

eddiesindian
06-18-2013, 10:48 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/1Kalarm001_zps5d81a997.jpg

My 1000yd hit alarm system. the smaller plate,s a chore to hit,,,but if your dailed in,,it doable, that of which Ive done.

stangfish
06-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Well there you have it. Definitive proof. This evidence is incontrovertible. You're the man.

scope eye
06-19-2013, 07:33 AM
I love stuff like that, there's nothing like good old American ingenuity.

Dean

CharlieNC
06-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Very Nice! Savage and your reloading knowledge gained over those 35 yrs has paid off. I've only been playing with this for 4 years, and it's amazing how much you can learn from a good forum like this.

eddiesindian
06-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Very Nice! Savage and your reloading knowledge gained over those 35 yrs has paid off. I've only been playing with this for 4 years, and it's amazing how much you can learn from a good forum like this.
Thank you. I had a chance to get a remy but what I wanted as a package deal and remy wanted too much $$. Savage had everything I wanted. Stock/threaded barrel twist, the fluting was an added extra.
I havent done anything to the rifle nor the stock. the only thing ive done is mic,d the clearance of the frt action screw and to cut a new longer one to get more bite into the reciever

You can defently gain alot of knowledge from "good" shooting sites. Just have to learn to weed thru "crap" you may run into.

eddiesindian
06-19-2013, 10:21 AM
I love stuff like that, there's nothing like good old American ingenuity.

Dean

thanks Dean.
Ive been a certified Ford Tech for the past 35 and in that time, its given me plenty of things to tinker with lololo
recently got me a stick welder and am fabricating all kinds of alarm systems/steel swingers and such. I was doing the majority of the stuff at the dealership where I work at because they have all of what i need, but I like to work alone with nobody hoovering over my head.
Id really like to be able to afford a sheet of AR-500 steel but holy crap!..its high dollar

fgw_in_fla
06-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Very nicely done. I wish you good luck & straight shooting with the new toy.

Every once in a while, it all comes together & makes it worth while. The gods of Lead, Copper & Steel Plate have smiled upon thee.... use it wisely, my friend.

scope eye
06-19-2013, 10:53 AM
OK Savage Shooters listen up, the best place to get AR 500 steel for a Steal "pardon the pun" is anywhere they sell tracked or heavy equipment IE:
bulldozers - excavators - pay-loaders they have Tons of that stuff "again pardon the pun" just make sure you have a case of beer with you, and you will be surprised with how much you will leave with, worn out tracks are my favorite.

Dean

eddiesindian
06-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Very nicely done. I wish you good luck & straight shooting with the new toy.

Every once in a while, it all comes together & makes it worth while. The gods of Lead, Copper & Steel Plate have smiled upon thee.... use it wisely, my friend.

The Gods of lead/copper and steel A?.......wow........Thats sounds so coooooll!...thanks

Its surely is modivation when everything comes together.

The desert valley where we shoot out to 1K is always surrounded by constant moving winds. Im glad Ive gone out there to give it a go even in 20-30 mph winds. Im able to at times justify my calculated adjustments for winds.
But its those days when the wind is blowing in all different directions where Ill flat out call it quits.
this last sunday, the wind was very calm and when it would blow, it would come in a constant direction. we,ve got winds flags at 2-4-6-8-1K so we can see exactly what the wind is doing.
I want another Savage in 338 so badly. THe valley where we shoot at can reach out to 1 mile easliy.

eddiesindian
06-19-2013, 03:53 PM
OK Savage Shooters listen up, the best place to get AR 500 steel for a Steal "pardon the pun" is anywhere they sell tracked or heavy equipment IE:
bulldozers - excavators - pay-loaders they have Tons of that stuff "again pardon the pun" just make sure you have a case of beer with you, and you will be surprised with how much you will leave with, worn out tracks are my favorite.

Dean

hmmmmmm.............

brasse
06-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Sure wish I had a place to shoot 1000 yards, even 500 would be an improvement over 200. I have a NRA 5 star county gun range just 4 miles away, but they spent 3.2 MILLION dollars on a designer sporting clays (that is hardly used) over putting in the 1200 yard range.

I don't mind shooting in 112 heat, but when the wind gets over 25 mph I quit. I attempt to shoot in 20 mph, cause real good shooters can. I am learning the wind speeds now that I have a wind gage.

Man that was a great fathers day. There have been times (not many) where every thing slows down, everything comes into sharp focus. I live for those rare days.

I am still upset that my best shooting day I didn't have my camera. But I know what I did, which was great for me.

And you know what you did, really don't need to defend.

missed
06-19-2013, 11:16 PM
What caliber ?

brasse
06-19-2013, 11:24 PM
He was shooting 308

I shoot 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.8 SPC, and for fun 223.

eddiesindian
06-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Sure wish I had a place to shoot 1000 yards, even 500 would be an improvement over 200. I have a NRA 5 star county gun range just 4 miles away, but they spent 3.2 MILLION dollars on a designer sporting clays (that is hardly used) over putting in the 1200 yard range.

I don't mind shooting in 112 heat, but when the wind gets over 25 mph I quit. I attempt to shoot in 20 mph, cause real good shooters can. I am learning the wind speeds now that I have a wind gage.

Man that was a great fathers day. There have been times (not many) where every thing slows down, everything comes into sharp focus. I live for those rare days.

I am still upset that my best shooting day I didn't have my camera. But I know what I did, which was great for me.

And you know what you did, really don't need to defend.

I tell my shooting partners that in reality, were lucky to have the flat/mountaines terrain that we have here in southwest tx. The wind really decides which location to shot at on any given sunday. If the winds are a max 20 well head out to the 1K and set up the range for that sunday,if not, we head towards a different canyon for shorteer distances. Its really a blessing having the location where we shoot out to 1K. We,ll start at 100 and go all the way out to 1K. we have 3"x3" steel swingers from 100 out to 300, then we go 8"x6" from 400 out to 500 then 12"X12" out to 1K with my hit alarm system out to 1K as well.
Ive had those days where I did just as you. I was out shooting one of my 223 gas guns and was able to get 7rds thru 1 hole @ 100. when I did that, I was jumpen up and down like a darn fool. there was nobody to high five with or anybody to witness just what the heck just happen.d, but like you,I know what I did and gave myself a pat on the back.....oh well...what else are we gonna do a?
Learning and evaluating wind speed and direction is "to me" something that really has to be practiced. I can see a flag at 500 and know just about how much I need to adjust my windage by the flight of the flag. Sure did take alot of practice for me. Kinda tuff right now with the components being what they are. Gezz......112dg heat?.........man I thought it was hot here......:o

brasse
06-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Yeh, had some days like that, cold bore shot at 200 dead center bulls eye. Jumping up and down with joy. Then realized I really want to do that every week, and like you to get 7 rounds through one hole. MY AR with 17 inch Lilja barrel is like that with Black Hills 52 grain non boat-tail rounds. Empty 25 -30 rounds through a quarter at 200 yards. Just makes me happy. Now my middle son is in love with that gun. But he lives in Kommiefornia, land where they tax every solid copper zero lead bullet, and limit the magazine size to minus 1.

My 10 year old grandson last summer shot with me nearly 2-3 times a week in 110-112 heat. Got to hydrate, but after we always get a ice cream sandwich at the range store. I built his own Ruger 10/22 with custom painted stock, next will be a savage 223 as he shot that last December for his first bulls eye at 100 yards. Next week he will spend the summer, going to get him shooting at 200 yards.

The second best joy in shooting is when a relative shoots great after you taught them. Bonding and fun at the same time.

eddiesindian
06-20-2013, 10:41 AM
we,ll said brasse.
Ive recently gone back to using my target 223 gas guns again. all 24" in either 1-7 and 1-8. I have about 4 of them with different this and that on them. for me there more affordable to use, especially right now.
Man-oh man how I miss shooting with my boy. He married, landed a job in Anchorage,and thats all she wrote. I...Like you got my kicks out of teaching all the basics of shooting and watch,d him grow into a better shooter. I wish I had me a grandchild but the Lord hasnt bless,d me with one yet....hopefully soon.
Theres several range,s here but the short on distance.
Me and my shooting bud were discussing joining a local range and working on open sight shooting. We do it all the time out in the stick but its getten real dam hot out here and it sure would be nice to be in the shade for a spell and work on our open sight skills.
As far as 10/22....IMO...there the best 22 rifle out there. for the money and for all the acc. you can get?...you just cant beat-em.
I purchased me a high dollar 10/22 factory target yrs ago. love it to death....but gezzz......I cant get my hands on any cci mini mag rds or good 22 ammo anywhere here. if i do find it, its at local gun stores and they wanna stick it to you.

stangfish
06-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Where are you eddie San antonio, larado, uvalde?

brasse
06-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Darn you and open sights. I shot expert pistol in the Navy, but could not hit the right target wit the M14. Later found out I was right handed and left eye dominant. That's why I loved shotguns and pistols.

Taught my sons with a marlin 22LR and an SKS. Up to three grandsons, teaching the oldest at 10 now. But my 17 year old granddaughter is like Annie Oakly with any pistol. She was shooting my 1911 in 38 super. I thought she was missing the target, found out she was aiming at the center target and all in the bulls eye. And her mom shoots like that too. Both shoot better than that son.