PDA

View Full Version : 1.5# accutrigger spring

Pages : [1] 2

romad97
06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
I just recieved a brand new savage SA that I aquired in a trade. The action came from Jim at NSS. The action came with the 1.5# spring in a small plastic bag. How can I tell whether or not the 1.5# spring was installed before it shipped or if the factory spring is still on the action?

thomae
06-06-2013, 08:38 PM
put a 1.5 pound weight on the trigger and see if it trips?

northlander
06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
The 1 1/2 lb. spring is in the bag. The Accu-Trigger Spring on the action is original.

Jim Briggs
NSS

cheezie
06-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Does this mean that changing a standard Accutrigger to a varmint Accutrigger is a simple spring change? Jim, do you sell those?

trigger-finger
06-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Seems that way. I saw a mod online which cuts the original spring to get it lighter to go to 1.5 lbs. I like buying a spring designed accurately for this better than cutting original to make it shorter.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

northlander
06-07-2013, 04:10 AM
NSS does offer the standard Savage 1 1/2 lb. Varmint/Tactical Accu-Trigger spring. We normally have them in stock.

Jim Briggs
NSS

jpdown
06-07-2013, 09:43 AM
The Varmint/Tactical Accu-Trigger spring is the easiest, cheapest and safest way to get down to around a 1.5 lb Accu-Trigger. Changing the standard AT spring to the varmint AT spring is the first thing I do when I get a new Savage action. Good to know that NSS has them in stock.

romad97
06-08-2013, 08:11 AM
If someone could give me a simple explanation of how to swap the spring I would be greatly appreciative. It looks pretty easy but, I do not want to end up messing something up.

82boy
06-08-2013, 10:46 AM
The Varmint spring is silver in color, the other spring is a brownish color.

brasse
06-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Sweet, I ordered one of these two days ago from Jim when I also ordered another couple of barrel nuts and recoil pads.

Had not seen this thread then.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-12-2014, 06:33 PM
I tried ordering a lighter spring from SSS and didn't have very good luck. They sent me a new spring that looked just like my factory AT spring, Brownish colored. I installed it and at the lightest setting was 3 lbs! I emailed Lisa at SSS and explained the situation and that maybe I got the wrong spring by mistake? She was pretty sure they had sent me the correct spring but offered to send me a replacement. I got the replacement spring and again it was the Brownish colored spring. Installed it and again on the lightest setting it would only go down to 2.75 lbs, (I could get my stock spring to go down to 2.5 lbs no problem). Again I emailed Lisa and explained the situation and she was pretty emphatic that she had sent me the "Light" spring and that my action must be "out of spec". I sent both springs back for a refund and ended up doing the spring modification trick and got it down to 2 lbs by swapping the Blade spring to the trigger and using a ballpoint pen spring for the Blade. I'd still like to get a Varmint spring so I can get it down to 1.5 lbs though.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-12-2014, 06:38 PM
NSS does offer the standard Savage 1 1/2 lb. Varmint/Tactical Accu-Trigger spring. We normally have them in stock.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Hey Jim, I just emailed you to see if you have these springs in stock? Thanks!

CAPTBEACH
01-13-2014, 12:01 AM
So...let me see if I understand this...is this the same 1.5 lb trigger spring that comes on red blade PTA actions? If so I could take a regular Accu-Trigger action, replace the spring with a 1.5 lb spring and essentially have a PTA trigger without the red blade..am I correct?

jpdown
01-13-2014, 12:31 AM
No. There is a standard Accutrigger spring that will allow you to adjust trigger pull down to around 2.5 lbs in my experience. There is a varmint Accutrigger spring that allows you to adjust down to around 1.5 lbs. The target Accutrigger (red blade) sear design, and not just the spring is what allows it to be adjusted much lower than possible with standard or varmint Accutrigger springs.

82boy
01-13-2014, 10:35 AM
No. There is a standard Accutrigger spring that will allow you to adjust trigger pull down to around 2.5 lbs in my experience. There is a varmint Accutrigger spring that allows you to adjust down to around 1.5 lbs. Finally, there is the target Accutrigger spring that is used only with target action. The target Accutrigger (red blade) sear design, and not just the spring is what allows it to be adjusted much lower than possible with standard or varmint Accutrigger springs.

So...let me see if I understand this...is this the same 1.5 lb trigger spring that comes on red blade PTA actions? If so I could take a regular Accu-Trigger action, replace the spring with a 1.5 lb spring and essentially have a PTA trigger without the red blade..am I correct?

Capt beach you are correct, the red blade target accu-trigger uses the same silver spring that is used in the varmint accutrigger. There is no third spring. The target accu-trigger gets is light weight from the sear, (That has a different angle to the engagement surface.) which is IDed with a little dimple by the bolt releases. Now the blade spring that controls the safety engagement blade in the middle of the accutrigger has a different spring. To further answer your now placing the silver spring into your accu-trigger will not make it a target accutrigger, you need the special sear, that has a different engagement angle on it.

On a side note, I don't know why people keep dragging up old threads that are over half a year old. This thread was dead and was moving on to 7 months old until it was dragged up yesterday.

CAPTBEACH
01-13-2014, 05:45 PM
SO if I understand this correctly...Regular Accu-Trigger + Silver Light Weight Spring(1.5 lb) + Target Trigger SEAR = Target Trigger (Red Blade PTA style) conversion... so the real question might be...is the Target SEAR interchangeable?

RP12
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
If you can find one, yes.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Some of us are new to the forum and found it useful apparently. ;) I'm always in school, everyday I learn something new! :)

IPSC
04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Can someone post a picture of the standard weight spring.... and the 1.5 lb spring.... side-by-side?

I just purchased the "1.5 lb" spring from SSS...and got a brown colored spring in a clear bag, with no part number or part description. How do I know?. Are we sure the 1.5 lb Varmint/Tactical is silver in color.... always?

AZ_GUN_NUT
04-22-2014, 07:36 PM
All I can tell you is that the 2 SSS sent me were Brown and were NOT the 1.5lb springs. Install it and check your pull, that's what I did on both. Lisa swears those are the "Light" springs but I think they got sent the wrong springs on their order.