PDA

View Full Version : New HS Precision .308 bolt not opening.

Pages : [1] 2

oaddis3
05-20-2013, 11:31 PM
HS Precision, bolt not opening, torque and assembly spec

I was wondering if there were some answers to my problem.
Well I have the model 10 with the HS precision stock that it came with from the factory and I took the gun apart to clean it and see whats going on in there. The screws came out at 40in lbs. After I assembled it, i went to rack the bolt and it moves up fine, but will only move back maybe 1/8inch. I then tried lowering the torque setting and no change. I've tried front screw first then the back screw and vice versa. The only way to get the bolt to function properly is with less than 10in lbs on the rear screw and the front screw doesnt matter. To me, this cant be right at all. I only use quality factory ammo and have put maybe 30-40 rounds through it. So my questions for all of you are, what am I doing wrong? What should be checked? And what is the assembly procedure and torque settings for this rifle?
I'm just really confused. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

drybean
05-20-2013, 11:51 PM
mybe you got the screws backwards
drybean

thomae
05-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Check your scope mount screws. If they are too long, the front ones can protrude into the area of the bolt head. Try removing them and see if that changes anything.

Berniep
05-21-2013, 08:26 AM
I had this problem with my rear screw. Just shortened the screw a couple of threads and it works fine now.

stangfish
05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Yep, you have a screw in the wrong place. Check the lengths of the srews on top and on bottom.

bodywerks
05-21-2013, 03:35 PM
I just encountered this very problem after bedding my hs precision stock. In the process of relieving the being block for adhesion of the Devon, it allowed the receiver to sit where it was meant to sit (flush with the block where the screws are). This resulted in an extra half thread protrusion into the receiver of the rear action screw. When i installed the barreled action i had the bolt installed and that little bit of extra length was just enough to keep me from pulling the bolt back. I could cycle it fine to Recock it but couldn't extract it.
Bottom line, remove about a half thread length from your rear action screw and you'll be fine. I promise...

kelbro
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
A thin washer would confirm this fix before cutting your screw.

Deerhunter 28
05-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Even taking a whole thread length should not matter.
But not positive ?
I had to do the same thing to a Savage ML.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

bodywerks
05-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Even more simple than that, just loosen the rear action screw a turn and see if the bolt frees up...

drybean
05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
I would like to here back from the OP to see what the prom. was

drybean

bodywerks
05-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Wouldn't we all. Nothing more frustrating than hearing about a problem and not getting updated as to the solution. I'm confident it's just that the rear screw needs to be shortened but wanna see if I'm right ;)

ww1rdb
05-22-2013, 11:57 PM
yes did that once myself...works wonders if you switch em around

bodywerks
05-23-2013, 12:40 AM
yes did that once myself...works wonders if you switch em around

Did what? Swapped action bolt screws on accident? That would be impossible on this particular model. Difference in length is like 3/4"!

ww1rdb
05-23-2013, 11:44 AM
ok am not familiar with newer models but on older ones one screw hole was picky and if you used the wrong screw it would keep bolt from opening if you had it tight..sorry if I mis read anything...maybe I am thinking of something else..

bodywerks
05-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Yeah, older models seem a bit finicky

eddiesindian
05-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Did what? Swapped action bolt screws on accident? That would be impossible on this particular model. Difference in length is like 3/4"!

exactly......My model 10 has a HS stock on it and the action screws are hard to get mixed up.
Ive been scratching my head on this one. If the only thing that was done was a simple removed and install of the stock with no milling/grinding of the bedding alum. bedding block on the stock, then there sould be no problem what so ever with a reinstall. considering he only has but 30-40 rds thru the thing?Im wondering if "that" particular HS stock on his model came with a spacer?...I dunno, but something,s a miss here...lots of speculation on this one for sure

oaddis3
05-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Ok everyone. Sorry to keep you waiting, i havent been home in a few days to check out the problem.
But the problem was the rear screw being a bit too long. Maybe i had some bolt stretch?(i dont know how) It had a very small shoulder on the end of it, so i filed it down to where the threads start and now it works like a charm.
Thank you all for the input.

So now to start another debate. What should be the torque setting be? I know it came with 40in lbs, but i see alot of debate about setting it to 65, on this site and other sites. Does it matter as long as they are the same or should i play around and see if there is a sweet spot?

oaddis3
05-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Ok everyone. Sorry to keep you waiting, i havent been home in a few days to check out the problem.
But the problem was the rear screw being a bit too long. Maybe i had some bolt stretch?(i dont know how) It had a very small shoulder on the end of it, so i filed it down to where the threads start and now it works like a charm.
Thank you all for the input.

So now to start another debate. What should be the torque setting be? I know it came with 40in lbs, but i see alot of debate about setting it to 65, on this site and other sites. Does it matter as long as they are the same or should i play around and see if there is a sweet spot?

ww1rdb
05-23-2013, 09:43 PM
am waiting to hear that answer also...in fact have asked it in my thread..I know i read it years ago and wish I had made a copy.. it has a specific order to tighten the screws and how many foot pounds..

as I remember it said if it wasn.t done properly it could split the stock..I had a 110CL (older rifle) that had that problem and it had split the stock from the front screw hole to the metal floor plate where the clip feeds in...either I am blind or it hasnt been discussed..only thing I could find was for the AXIS...so have fingers crossed you get an answer

oaddis3
05-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Oh, thats no good.
I just figured someone, somewhere would have an answer to that. All i have found is specs for other rifles as well.