PDA

View Full Version : New HS Precision .308 bolt not opening.

Pages : 1 [2]

stangfish
05-23-2013, 10:16 PM
If you have a plastic stock and you are torquing it to 40 in/lbs and all of the sudden your screw is sticking up into the action. Now you are wondering if you need to tighten it more maybe you should stop and think for a minute! You are pulling the screw through the stock for christ sake. Your gun my shoot great at 20 in/lbs but now that the stock is all extruded and tweaked it may not ever shoot right untill you replace the stock. Just a thought.

ww1rdb
05-23-2013, 10:25 PM
I was asking about a wooden stock...guess you didnt read what I asked..and yes it was a problem with some older guns where they werent tighted right and the stock split from recoil..I have never had trouble with screw into the action but have had a stock split..but thanks anyway

oaddis3
05-23-2013, 10:41 PM
And my stock has the aluminum block in it so it shouldnt be a problem, unless i split the aluminum, but it looks like the bolts will stretch before that happens. Haha.

Deerhunter 28
05-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Ok everyone. Sorry to keep you waiting, i havent been home in a few days to check out the problem.
But the problem was the rear screw being a bit too long. Maybe i had some bolt stretch?(i dont know how) It had a very small shoulder on the end of it, so i filed it down to where the threads start and now it works like a charm.
Thank you all for the input.

So now to start another debate. What should be the torque setting be? I know it came with 40in lbs, but i see alot of debate about setting it to 65, on this site and other sites. Does it matter as long as they are the same or should i play around and see if there is a sweet spot?

I have one just like yours.
I do 65 in. Lbs.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

bodywerks
05-24-2013, 12:47 AM
I always do 60-65 in/lbs.

glassbeaver
05-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Same gun. 65

eddiesindian
05-24-2013, 11:07 AM
And my stock has the aluminum block in it so it shouldnt be a problem, unless i split the aluminum, but it looks like the bolts will stretch before that happens. Haha.

it does indeed have a thick aluminum bedding block. I have an HS stock as well on mine and from my stand point, Its rowbust,very well built and configures well into the reciever. This is why (to me) something isnt right. I dont have your stock in frt of me as to have a comparison, but aluminum against carbon steel isnt gonna give that easy, especailly with only 30-40 rds thru it.
Only thing I can think of is thta your HS stock model doesnt extend the aluminum block to the rear action screw allowing the rear of the stock to "give"....a spacer that may have been intergrated into the rear of the stock that may have come off?.......
I personally twist mine tighter than 40 in lbs as do others 60-65.
I pull,d my actions screws out, installed the bolt, mic,d the depth from bolt to stock at the action screw holes for clreance values, purchased high carbon allen heads with a thicker boss/shoulder, cut the bolts to lenght, cleaned and blued the bolts. I did this because I notice that my frt action screw wasnt threading into the reciever but maybe 3 threads. I wanted to get maximum attachment surface which basically meant I was able to get 2 more threads into the reciever. it put my mind at ease knowing that Im torqueing the actions screws just a bit tighter and i have ample threads being carfeull not to over tighten and cause "tension" issues to the reciever.
Good luck

stangfish
05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
I was asking about a wooden stock...guess you didnt read what I asked..and yes it was a problem with some older guns where they werent tighted right and the stock split from recoil..I have never had trouble with screw into the action but have had a stock split..but thanks anyway

Sorry WW, I was responding to a different post. I had not even read yours.

Since we do not at this point and time know what grade the action screws are, I am thinking grade 5, it is difficult to determine at what point the screws will yield and what the proper torque specs are. If you lubricate the threads the torque limits are greatly reduced. I dont think you would start to see the screw stretch until over 100 in/lbs or more, possibly less if lubricated. The alluminum bedding blocks in the accustock may be spread at higher torque values. How are most of you checking your torque?

glassbeaver
05-25-2013, 03:13 AM
I use a FAT wrench set at 65 inch pounds

thirty06
05-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Here come the flames, but in MY OPINION if your action and stock are properly mated (bedded) anything past
hand tight is overkill and stressing something.

stangfish
05-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Here come the flames, but in MY OPINION if your action and stock are properly mated (bedded) anything past
hand tight is overkill and stressing something.

We have a winner!!!

Szumi
05-25-2013, 05:02 PM
So how do you bed a HS stock that has the aluminum blocks?

bodywerks
05-25-2013, 09:20 PM
So how do you bed a HS stock that has the aluminum blocks?

Rough up the aluminum, even remove a little with a rotary file or sanding drum on your dremel (everywhere except where the bolt holes are. And then bed like normal. Simple. This is an hs precision stock i just bedded:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130520_203139_895_zpsb4eecda7.jpg