PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111, 30-06 help please.

Pages : [1] 2

sledgehammer44
05-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I bought a Savage 111 30-06 a few years back because it was on sale at a reputable gun place. (Not sure if I can post the name for advertising reasons?) I put it in the back of the gun safe and didn't give it much thought until about a month ago. I bought a box of ammo for it and took it out to shoot it for the first time with a few friends. I shot around 30 rounds through it and then I noticed smoke was coming out of the stock. I look and the plastic portion toward the front of the stock broke apart. I'm very much a novice to guns so I'm not sure what to do or how this could have happened? Since the gun sat in my safe for so long I know it has no warranty, which kind of sucks since it is basically brand new, so should I

A: Call Savage and see what they say?
B: Write them a letter and send them the gun to see what they say?
C: Take the gun to a gun smith and see what he says.

I like the gun for the few rounds that I was able to shoot from it and want to fix it if possible. Ill try to attach a pic or two so maybe someone else on here might have an idea on what caused this and any other suggestions.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc372/46tang/5-1-13072_zpsea976bc5.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/46tang/media/5-1-13072_zpsea976bc5.jpg.html)

BRIAN G
05-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Holy Smokes! This is a new one. Did u remove that front screw or was it gone when you noticed the problem?
Any abnormal sound, recoil etc while you were shooting? Did your ammo feed and eject ok? Was the bolt hard to operate?
This gun definitely needs to be looked at by a pro before you attempt to shoot it again. I'd call Savage first, and if you don't get the help you need there go see a smith.

sledgehammer44
05-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Well when I noticed the whole the screw wasn't to be found, but I was in the national forest with a lot of shrubs etc so I'm not sure if the screw was in there or not but i couldn't find it. The recoil was normal, the bolt action felt fine and smooth and still does. The only thing that caught my eye was the puff of smoke near my hand after I fired it. I looked down the barrel and it looks okay in there and when i look in the hole lol, i don't see anything obviously wrong but I'm not sure what's supposed to be in there.

I live in California and Savages phone times are when I'm at work, urgh. I wish they had email contact so I could send them a pic as the pic is worth a thousand words. Here is another pic.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc372/46tang/5-1-13073_zps3ac2e5fb.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/46tang/media/5-1-13073_zps3ac2e5fb.jpg.html)
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc372/46tang/5-1-13074_zps96466455.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/46tang/media/5-1-13074_zps96466455.jpg.html)

Russ 111
05-02-2013, 06:05 AM
As an owner of a 111 I want to this keep following post, so let me know what you learn, thanks.

palerider338
05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Looks like the front action screw wasn't torqued to spec before you started shooting it. Over torqued would put too much stress on the Tupperware stock and under torque would allow it to shift under recoil.......same end result both ways. IMO

I gather you didn't check the action screws ?? Always a good idea to give the rifle a once over before you head to the range.

Not sure it's worth the time and trouble to contact Savage ( other than for FYI reasons).....I'd get a new stock from Boyd's for under $ 100, make sure it's pillar & glass bedded and use a Fat wrench to properly torque the screws.

Would be a big improvement I'm sure you will be happy with.

BillPa
05-02-2013, 08:47 AM
The only thing that caught my eye was the puff of smoke near my hand after I fired it.

Personally I'd be just a tad more concerned what caused the puff of smoke by your hand!

Bill

sharpshooter
05-02-2013, 01:19 PM
If you ruptured a case, the bulk of the gas will go into the magazine area, causing a scenario just like you have. The gas pressure is enough to strip the screw right out of the receiver.
I can't believe you didn't notice something that catastrophic.

Pilgrim
05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Looks like the front action screw wasn't torqued to spec before you started shooting it. Over torqued would put too much stress on the Tupperware stock and under torque would allow it to shift under recoil.......same end result both ways. IMO
SNIPPED
My first thought, too, but that doesn't explain the smoke. Even if fired without the stock, there should be no smoke around the action! Perhaps it wasn't smoke and just broken plastic, but I personally would not fire that rifle again until it was checked by a competent gunsmith. Before doing anything else, I'd contact Savage and ask their advice on how to proceed. Print a picture or two and send it along with an explanation of what happened to Savage: Savage Arms, 100 Springdale Road, Westfield, MA 01085.
Be sure to let us know what Savage has to say!

SEshooter
05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Did you keep the brass that was shot? Look at it and see if one of them has not blown out.

Nandy
05-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Did you keep the brass that was shot? Look at it and see if one of them has not blown out.

My thoughts exactly. I have to side with SSS, looks like something blew up...

ellobo
05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Definately your first move is contact Savage by letter with a printout of your stock. If no satisfaction from Savage take the action out of the stock and look for any abnormalties in the action/ barrel breech action. A good look at fired brass should be done to see if it is blown. If you cannot see anything abnormal then contact a good gunsmith. Then if he gives the action a clean bill, the Boyds stock Option would be the next best scenario. Under $100, a drop in and for an extra $50 they will give it a nice lazer generated checkering job.
Keep us informed.
El Lobo

Nandy
05-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Sledge, are you anywhere close to charlotte nc? If so I can look at it and maybe help you. Whatever you do, dont shoot that gun again until this is solved. That is not a common incident and it looks like it blew from the inside out....

sledgehammer44
05-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I appreciate all the help and info guys!! I looked at the brass after it happened and didn't notice anything weird with it but I'm pretty new to guns so not sure I would have spotted anything? It was a brand new box of ammo and I don't know how to reload so I threw the old brass away. After it happened I picked up a savage 110 wood stock for like $40 because i originally thought it was just the crappy plastic stock that broke and was just going to take it to a Gun Smith to replace the stock. But then like you all I thought it could be worse? I was hoping if I posted something on here, people would have seen this before but I guess I'm the lucky one. lol.

I live in Southern Calif. Nandy but I appreciate the offer!!!! And yea I have no intention to shoot it until I'm sure it isn't going to blow up.

So I think, because the Gun is essentially new, I am going to start by taking a few pics and write Savage a snail mail letter and see what they say? So it may take some time to get any updates for you all but I will let you all know what happens with it.

Oh and should I just get rid of the 110 wood stock and get the one that you all are recommending for like $100? I was unaware you could upgrade parts of the Gun so I tried to get a factory replacement. lol. Sorry I'm a newbie, especially with rifles. I have several revolvers and one Glock 22 pistol that I shoot once in awhile but they are very easy to clean and maintain. Oh and I have one over under shotgun but that too is easy. This savage 30.06 is my first and only rifle. lol.

Thanks again everyone for the responses.

Pilgrim
05-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Your wood stock is fine. After you get a "blessing" to proceed from Savage, just put the action in the new stock and go shoot. BTW, keep your brass. Down the road, if you find you enjoy rifle shooting, you may want to reload. All your accumulated empties will save you $$. Even if you don't reload, I'll bet you will encounter someone who does reload and he/she will appreciate the gift!

kingzero
05-04-2013, 01:42 PM
What brand ammo were you using. Probably not the case, but look and see if there was a recall for the brand/lot number of ammo you were using.

Definitelyly an odoccurrencece. Glad no one was hurt when it happened. Hope you get it figured out.

JW
05-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Please keep us updated on what you find out
Thanks
JW

ellobo
05-11-2013, 01:01 AM
This may not be what happened but if a 308 got chambered it might smoke like this one did.

El Lobo

jbjh
05-11-2013, 03:04 AM
OP, I'm in SoCal too. PM me if you need some help

IronworksTactical
05-11-2013, 06:54 AM
I would definitely be calling or emailing savage. My experience with the large gun manufacturers is that they stand behind their firearms without question. I haven't had to contact savage before but I have others and no questions asked repair/replacement was simple as that. I am in so cal (corona, ca) and am an FFL if for any reason they need you to mail it to them utilizing an FFL at all let me know and ill help out. In actuality you do not need an FFL to send and receive firearms for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nandy
05-11-2013, 03:33 PM
In actuality you do not need an FFL to send and receive firearms for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the way I understand it too. If the firearm is not changing owners no ffl is needed.