PDA

View Full Version : Weaver Rings any good?/Ring suggestions.

Pages : [1] 2

twsnow18
03-12-2013, 01:16 AM
My 7mm is at the gunsmith. When I get it back I'm going to mount my Vortex HS 4-16x44 on it but I need some suggestions for rings. I'm looking to make it a 600ish yard big game rifle. The gun shop carries Leupold, Vortex and Weaver rings. The rifle has some weaver bases on it right now. I've only been reloading and shooting religiously for a couple years now so I don't know much about good rings. Any input/suggestions?

762X51
03-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Burris Signature rings are a superior product at a great price. True, just like most rings they hold your scope to the top of your rifle but they have a very unique feature that makes them far different from any other rings. They use a synthetic liner that compensates for any misalignment in the front and rear rings so no lapping is necessary. The synthetic liners also prevent the rings from marring the scope finish. Another benefit is that non concentric inserts can be used to compensate for gross misalignment or extreme long range shooting. For all they offer, at a price of about $45, it's impossible to beat the quality and versatility of the Burris Signature rings. Watch the video at this link and you'll understand why Burris Signature rings are unique and superior to any other rings available. I've used them for years and they've never disappointed.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

bsekf
03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Burris Signature Rings are good, however Weaver Rings have been used for years and they are "cheaper than most and stronger than most".

cheapshot
03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
I have used weaver rings and bases on my deer rifles since I was a kid. Nothing at all wrong with them for that setup. Countless game animals have been taken with them by hunters all over the world. I recently bought a one piece leupold base and ring set for a 22-250 build and I don't think I will buy another set of Weavers. That's not a knock on them but a comment on the quality difference between the two.

762X51
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
I forgot to address your direct question regarding Weaver rings. Weaver makes numerous models of varying prices from $12 aluminum cheapos to their all steel Grand Slam series to their tactical models. The one benefit of Weaver style top mount rings is that the optic and rings may be removed as a unit and reinstalled with a reasonable chance that the point of impact will remain fairly close to the original point of impact. This is handy should your optic need to be removed for any reason to allow use of iron sights. Without a back up sighting option though this benefit is pointless. Some of the Weaver ring offerings are windage adjustable allowing for compensation for some lateral misalignment but not adjustment for vertical alignment. If you absolutely MUST use Weaver rings then the top mount "Sure Grip" detachable rings are a trim, compact, lightweight option. I still maintain that the Burris Signature rings are the absolute best rings money can buy...they will do anything any other rings can do but definitely not vice-versa.

sixonetonoffun
03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Have nothing bad to say about Weaver mounts and rails great value and as bsekf says... they are "cheaper than most and stronger than most". What they lack is smooth fit and finish.

But I've yet to put more then a couple hundred dollar Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 on with them and a couple of Pentax's GameSeeker III's 4-12x40 I snagged for $99 each. Weaver rails n rings seemed the correct price point for me on these Axis rifles.

Put Blackhawk steel rail n rings from Cabella's on a Rem 700 BDL 7mm RM that ran a lot more (around $110) and really feel they were overkill or rather over priced anyway for the little VX II 2-7x they hold. But felt the magnum might require the extra strength and the rail made it super easy to mount the short scope.

I agree the fit and finish of the leopold one piece base n rings are the best quality I've used. Cost and availabilty per application has always been the downside of them for me.

Have yet to try Burris but they are very popular here and the inserts sound like a great idea. Probably will soon but old habits are hard to break.

CAPTBEACH
03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
I've got 3 sets of Burris Xtreme rings and swear by them...tough...

palerider338
03-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Got the Weaver Dual Strap rings on my scope. They have seen more than 2000 rapid fire 7.62 x 39 rounds thru my Mini-30 with NO issues whatsoever.
Have just mounted this same combo on my 30-06 Savage varmint.....don't expect any issues there either.

1ShotKing
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
I had the Weaver quad-lock rings on my rifle for a short amount of time. I somehow managed to twist off the screws that mount the rings to the base by hand with a screwdriver. I brought them back to the store that I bought them at and the guy there told me it has been happening quite frequently with the quad-locks. I since bought Leupold PRW which are weaver style mounting and they are awesome. Take it for what it's worth.

1ShotKing

stangfish
03-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Burris Signature rings are the absolute best rings money can buy

Wow. Thats pretty strong endorsement. You think they would be seen on every 1000+ rifle made.:behindsofa:

These are considered peretty good.
http://www.tacticalrifles.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=12''

http://americanrifle.com/scope_rings/default.asp?d=2

JCalhoun
03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
TW,

Weaver and Leupold are both good as are Burris. A lot of gun shops will install and bore sight the scope at little or no charge if you buy the mounts from them.

bsekf
03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
"cheaper than most and stronger than most" is a quote from Finn Aagaard, the now deceased PH who used to write for The American Rifleman. I have cheap Weavers on several "handcannons" I have always used a 2 ring set up and never had a scope move. I do use Burris Signatures too, no ring marks and I like the ability to center the scope using the plastic inserts. I do not like the slotted screw or the way they attach to the bases and they only come in 2 heights.

Jamie
03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
I stopped worrying about rings when I started using Leupold PRW rings. Got tired of chasing accuracy issues with cheaper rings/bases including Weaver. PRW rings and Warne bases will not let you down.

BillPa
03-13-2013, 11:09 AM
I stopped worrying about rings when I started using Leupold PRW rings.

I quite worrying after learning how to bed the base(s) to less than perfect receivers, align the rings and bed them to the scope.

I was mounting a scope for a guy, he asked what heck these things are for.:p
http://i35.tinypic.com/x5xldg.jpg

Bill

fgw_in_fla
03-13-2013, 12:06 PM
I have these on all my bolt action rifles....
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519551/weaver-30mm-tactical-6-hole-weaver-style-rings-matte-low
They come in 4 hole for smaller calibers & 6 hole for heavy caliber. 1" & 30mm as well.

Never a problem with loosening, accuracy, anything.

I recommend them & they won't break the bank
Happy scope ring shopping....

rattfink
03-13-2013, 12:42 PM
After shooting a buddy's 10 precision carbine with the Weaver tactical, and knowing he has ended dozens of coyotes lives with these rings, seeing him put 3 overlapping rounds through paper past 100 meters...I plan to buy the Weaver 6 hole rings and their base as well.

twsnow18
03-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks a ton for all of the info guys! I am wondering why I haven't heard the manufacture Talley's thrown around once on this thread. Not that I know much about them, I just heard from a guy that heard from a guy that they are the chit. I'm going to pick up the rifle today from the smith so hopefully he got the burrs polished at the breech of my barrel.

fgw_in_fla
03-13-2013, 03:24 PM
I've heard good stuff about Talley bit have no first hand info on them.

By the way, if you opt for a "tactical" style scope ring & it happens to have 6 holes, make sure you're in a calm, patient frame of mind when you install them.
4 holes is bad enough. 6 holes can really tax ones patience. It seems like it takes forever to get them fully tightened especially if you do the "quarter turn per screw per end" method.
Good luck & most of all, have fun...

stangfish
03-13-2013, 05:25 PM
I think it is fair to say that correct and secure mounting of bases and or rings can go a long way to prove the abilities of the rifle and the man. Good glass is the next part of the equation

twsnow18
03-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks again for the help. Hopefully my viper hs 4-16x44 is worth what i spent on it with my college budget...