PDA

View Full Version : Weaver Rings any good?/Ring suggestions.

Pages : 1 [2]

txbdyguard
03-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Warne Maxima

jonbearman
03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
The only real problem with any ring other than burris signature zee rings is if you put the rings and scope on and bring the screws in the caps down so you can still align your scope.Once you start moving it slightly to square it up,they will all make marks on the scope that are permanant.If you are super careful you may avoid this but in most cases it will happen unless you lap them for good bearing and dont overtighten them like some do.I also stone the top and bottom of the rings where they come together,I put a small radius on them with a stone of super fine file so when they get tightened they dont dig into the side of the main tube again leaving unwanted marks.

CharlieNC
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I like the Warne Maxima too; they are very stout and only negative is they are not conducive to removing/re-installing the scope without major adjustment. Just installed first set of six-screw Weaver Tactical rings; also very stout. Like the appearance and will try at the range tomorrow.

stangfish
03-14-2013, 11:12 PM
I have never seen marked or bent tubes from the Warnes...ever!

txbdyguard
03-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Stang did you get those Burris from me? I know you got one set of Warnes from me.

stangfish
03-15-2013, 06:45 AM
no sir

txbdyguard
03-15-2013, 07:15 AM
They must've went on a swap then.

rattfink
03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Has anyone installed the 6 hole Weavers on a scope with a 50mm objective on a bull barrel (like a 12 or 112)?
I am wondering how low I can go. I know the mediums work but am wondering if I might risk lows with the Weaver base?

scythefwd
03-25-2013, 01:13 PM
I use weaver bases on most all of my rifles. Right now I'm rocking a set of millet (m)angle locks, but I like weaver rings as well.

ready_on_the_right
03-25-2013, 10:01 PM
I have Talley Lightweights in my Stevens 200 .338-06 and ordered an extended set today for my recently purchased 116, extended because I'm planning on mounting a Vari-X II 2-07 X 33 which is a really short scope.

Mike

Rooster 50
03-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Burris Signature Z rings on weaver steel bases. I use nothing else on rifles that mean anything to me. They are the only ring made that absolutely will not mar the finish on your scope!
They are selfaligning and the inserts can be changed out to gain or lose elevation if you need it!

D.ID
03-25-2013, 11:58 PM
I use the six hole weaver tactical rings all the time and have no complaints, they work great. I don't care for burris signature rings on a heavy recoil rifle as the inserts have failed to maintain a solid grip on large scopes before. 7mm on down without much worry but I no longer run them on anything that qualifies as a magnum. After using a decent tactical ring the Z-ring slide over is annoying on a couple of mine that have tight clearance but if you do not move your scope much that is no big deal.

mnbogboy2
03-26-2013, 08:55 PM
I too have become a huge fan of the Burris signature series....Beauty is you can put your scope lapping kit in a drawer some where and forget about it (I had a hard time finding mine when I needed it anyway (tough to get old))....A few of the savage and stevens actions have come to me with some pretty "out of whack" mount screw alignment...With the offset bushings you can get your scope centered in its adjustment even with the poor screw thread to bore alignment...With the offset bushings you can also avoid the added cost of MOA adjusted rails...Another great asset to the signature line of mounts is they really can take the abuse of recoil without damaging the scope tube....Every action moves/twists at recoil..we cannot see it but there is some movement there...Even with perfectly honed and lapped standard rings I have seen ring marks from time to time....This is because of the action movement we do not see during firing....The burris "plastic" liner serves as a "shock" absorber here and actually must deflect slightly during action twist/bending....After thousands of rounds now I have yet to see a "ring" mark on at least three that I have dissassembled.....Biggest fault I see in the burris rings is they are not quick-detaching off one piece rails....I am able to slide them off forward but not quickly....
My $.02,
Randy

hunter540
03-27-2013, 07:40 AM
+1 for the Weaver Tactical 6 hole rings... I have them on my heaviest recoiling guns/shotguns, Including my Encore Turkey gun. Recoil is brutal on that thing, and they work great.