PDA

View Full Version : Long Range WSM Build Anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

redman
02-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Hi. I am not new to building savages but I would like to know the best components for a 270 wsm/7mm wsm/300 wsm.

I am assuming a short action. Or would a long action be needed for running the long bullets out?

Typically large or small shank?

So would a regular short action work?

Right now I am thinking just get a short action (small shank), change the bolt head, get a wsm magazine, and a barrel and away I go?

embalmer883
02-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Savage says use the large shank for WSM's and if you already had something I'd probably say different but since your starting anew I'd go with a large shank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geargrinder
02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
I've built a few. I chose the long action so I can seat the heavy bullets anywhere I need to.

Short action is a little problematic with the availability of the proper bolt heads as well as the different length firing pin assemblies.

I also went small shank on my WSM's and RUM's(including a couple 338 Edge's). No problems. No need for large shank in my opinion.

I also prefer the straight 7mmWSM over the shorter shouldered ones. For the long range I'd rather have the FPS than the longer neck. Again, my opinion is the the benefit of longer neck is negated since I am likely jamming the bullets into the lands. Since there is no jump, by the time the base of the bullet leaves the neck, plenty of the ogive will be seated into the lands giving proper initial support to the bullet.

Others will argue that there is better brass for the 270/300 based design. I agree(kind of). But with a simple neck size and fireform, the same brass can be used in the straight 7mmWSM.

Here's a piece of Norma 300wsm that's been neck sized to 7mm next to a piece of Winchester 7mmWSM. Not much needed to push the shoulder out.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8000682.jpg

redman
02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
I also prefer the straight 7mmWSM over the shorter shouldered ones. For the long range I'd rather have the FPS than the longer neck. Again, my opinion is the the benefit of longer neck is negated since I am likely jamming the bullets into the lands. Since there is no jump, by the time the base of the bullet leaves the neck, plenty of the ogive will be seated into the lands giving proper initial support to the bullet.

I didn't know these variations even existed. What barrel maker did you use? Could you elaborate on the differences between the "shorter shoulder ones" and the "straight" ones?

geargrinder
02-03-2013, 12:52 AM
I thought you were talking about the 7mm/270wsm or 7mm/300wsm wildcat.

All of the WSM's are the same length. However the 7mm version is a little different than the others. It has a shorter neck but that means the body is longer.

The 270 and 300wsm's are the same except for the neck diameter.

Since the 7mm has more body and a shorter neck, it has more case capacity.

Shorter shoulder one=270 or 300wsm
Straight ones=the factory 7mmWSM
Wildcat=7mm/270wsm or 7mm/300wsm(these are made from 270 or 300wsm and keep the body length)

redman
02-03-2013, 01:57 AM
geargrinder: what coal are you using for your 7mm long range bullets (I assume you are using the high bc bullets)?

efm77
02-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Just as another option, you can now get a long action large shank if you buy one of the new 375 Ruger models. If you wanted a long action and also a large shank, that would be the way to go. I bought one myself for that very reason.

geargrinder
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
geargrinder: what coal are you using for your 7mm long range bullets (I assume you are using the high bc bullets)?

I'd have to check my notes for the COAL, but I was using Berger 180g VLD's, and Wildcat 200g RBBT VLD's. Looking forward to the Berger 195's.

redman
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Just wondering. If the COAL was say under 2.9" I would rather run a short action. Id probably opt for a 284 or a 280ai if going long action. Most of my interest in the wsm cartridges is the fact you can use a short action.

redman
02-03-2013, 03:56 PM
BTW: Thanks for all the comments/help.

geargrinder
02-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Just wondering. If the COAL was say under 2.9" I would rather run a short action. Id probably opt for a 284 or a 280ai if going long action. Most of my interest in the wsm cartridges is the fact you can use a short action.

I know I was longer than 2.9" with the 200g's.

yorketransport
02-03-2013, 05:59 PM
I've been running a 300 WSM as a repeater on a large shank short action for a few years. My barrel is a PacNor with a standard throat and you really won't gain anything by running it out of a long action. If you used an extended throat then it may be worth using a long action. I have no problem getting the 185 Bergers to shoot .3 MOA at 2900 fps and feed from an Accurate Mags magazine. I'm pretty happy with the combo.

Andrew

1983Weatherby
02-03-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm jealous of everyone doing long range builds... I don't have a range over 300yards here. Pretty pointless to build a long range rig when I know i can never test it's potential.

I really want to build a 338 edge. But until we get a long range it's not going to happen.

CJnWy
02-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Your going to want more than 2.9 for the 180 Berger in the 7WSM......somewhere around 3.10 depending on actual throat measurements and how much jump it wants.
If you dont have the action yet =get a long one. Specially if you put a one piece base on there is not enough difference in the stiffness to make or break anything.

geargrinder
02-04-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm jealous of everyone doing long range builds... I don't have a range over 300yards here. Pretty pointless to build a long range rig when I know i can never test it's potential.

I really want to build a 338 edge. But until we get a long range it's not going to happen.

I've built a couple 338 Edges. They shot so well it was boring. So, I got rid of it. The other problem was that it was too big and heavy. It was a 32" #7 barrel plus a brake. It was a chore to even take to the range. 30" varmint would have been much better choice.

snowgetter1
02-04-2013, 01:11 AM
I have a Model 11, originally a 300wsm, that has a 243 wssm 28" shillen and a 30" Savage bull, rechambered from 308 to 300wsm. Both shoot very good for me and the 30" Savage barrels can be had on here for a decent price at times. The rig sits in a Stocky's thumbhole stock. This gun is now dedicated to the wsm or wssm because changing the firing pin out for other non-magnum rounds is time consuming. I did it once and won't do it again.

redman
02-04-2013, 11:27 PM
I've been running a 300 WSM as a repeater on a large shank short action for a few years. My barrel is a PacNor with a standard throat and you really won't gain anything by running it out of a long action. If you used an extended throat then it may be worth using a long action. I have no problem getting the 185 Bergers to shoot .3 MOA at 2900 fps and feed from an Accurate Mags magazine. I'm pretty happy with the combo.

Andrew

Yeah but how much longer are the 175-190gr high bc 7mm bullets than the 185 gr 30 cals. you are shooting?

redman
02-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Your going to want more than 2.9 for the 180 Berger in the 7WSM......somewhere around 3.10 depending on actual throat measurements and how much jump it wants.
If you dont have the action yet =get a long one. Specially if you put a one piece base on there is not enough difference in the stiffness to make or break anything.

so where are you seating the bullet to in your case? Is the bottom of the bullet about flush with the bottom of the neck? by bottom of the bullet I mean before it goes to the boattail

yorketransport
02-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah but how much longer are the 175-190gr high bc 7mm bullets than the 185 gr 30 cals. you are shooting?
If the barrel is chambered with a standard SAMMI throat, you will likely need to seat the bullets pretty deep no matter what. I have a Win Model 70 in 7mm WSM and I can seat the Barnes 140gr TTSX to touch the lands with a COAL of 2.85". A longer action would only help if the chamber were cut with a long throat.

Andrew

redman
02-04-2013, 11:42 PM

Just move to southeast Idaho where I'm at. We got the Rocky Mountains as well as lots of desert to shoot in. "It's the marrow of the world."