PDA

View Full Version : Long Range WSM Build Anyone?

Pages : 1 [2]

redman
02-04-2013, 11:52 PM
If the barrel is chambered with a standard SAMMI throat, you will likely need to seat the bullets pretty deep no matter what. I have a Win Model 70 in 7mm WSM and I can seat the Barnes 140gr TTSX to touch the lands with a COAL of 2.85". A longer action would only help if the chamber were cut with a long throat.

Andrew

Yeah it's the same with my 260ai thats saami spec (short throated anyway). I am just wondering if it would be worth extending the throat out or not if I were to build the 7 wsm. What is the advantage besides more room in the case?

geargrinder
02-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Yeah it's the same with my 260ai thats saami spec (short throated anyway). I am just wondering if it would be worth extending the throat out or not if I were to build the 7 wsm. What is the advantage besides more room in the case?

More room means more powder. More powder means more FPS. All with the same pressure. That's a pretty important advantage in long range.

redman
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
More room means more powder. More powder means more FPS. All with the same pressure. That's a pretty important advantage in long range.

If that's the theory you go by why not go with a 7 RUM?:bolt:

How many more feet per second?

TT_270WSM
05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, I'm looking into building a 270 WSM for long-ish range shooting/hunting off a Savage action. I realize the 270 is the least popular of these for long-range, but I've been using some .277 bullets made here in Canada that have been pretty awesome so far in my Browning X-Bolt sporter.

Anyways, does anyone have any idea what the max OAL you can seat a bullet out to with a DBM, SA based action, as well as one converted to AI mags? My current load for 165 Gr Matrix VLD's is set to my current mag's max, which is 2.920 OAL, and it's not quite in the lands, but shoots sub-MOA. There are also some 175 Gr VLD's the same company offers that I would like to try with a 1-9 twist barrel, and I imagine I would need/like to seat them out a bit further and have the barrel cut with a bit more freebore to gain a little room in the cartridge. Any input would be helpful! Trying to see if I'll need to go LA for my intentions, and maybe this is a newb-ish question, but which centerfeed magazine would be used with a WSM cartridge for either SA or LA.

Cheers,

TT

stangfish
05-30-2013, 06:46 AM
If that's the theory you go by why not go with a 7 RUM?

<60 grains vs >80 grains

geargrinder
05-30-2013, 11:05 PM
If that's the theory you go by why not go with a 7 RUM?:bolt:

How many more feet per second?

Got one of those too! Had to put it in a Remington with a Wyatt Centerfeed extended box. Just under 4" COAL with the 180g VLD. Much more FPS!

Much more powder too. About 65g with the WSM over 100g with the RUM.

bootsmcguire
05-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Trying to see if I'll need to go LA for my intentions, and maybe this is a newb-ish question, but which centerfeed magazine would be used with a WSM cartridge for either SA or LA.

Cheers,

TT

For a WSM in a SA you will need a WSM magazine, for a LA you can use a Standard Magnum Magazine (for a 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, etc.).

If it were me, I'd go Long Action and then have no worries about your OAL. The WSM's I have had fed fine from Centerfeed Magnum Magazines in the Long Action. Also, if you build a WSM on a Short Action, you will need a WSM bolt head, or a bolt head converted from a LA-Magnum bolt head (unless of course your SA was a WSM to start with). For the Long Action you just use a Standard Magnum Bolthead.