PDA

View Full Version : New Savage Parts from PT&G

Pages : [1] 2

Balljoint
01-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Looking at some of the new stuf from the SHOT SHOW PT&G now has more savage bolt parts not only bolt heads BUT now have bolt handles and parts for the opening of the bolt.

Check here for a Pic of the new bolt parts check under today's bulletin Link no longer works

LRJammer
01-19-2013, 01:31 PM
That looks awesome! I am going to begin a new build soon. I had already planned on the PT&G bolt body and head but these will be added to the build list as well!

geargrinder
01-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Cool. Looks like new bolt head, bolt handle, bolt body, cocking sleeve, and BAS with an incorporated lift kit.

Wonder if they are going to start selling complete bolts.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/shotlist006.jpg

jibben
01-19-2013, 02:49 PM
User-Adjustable Spring Tension? I can see where, just not sure why.

geargrinder
01-19-2013, 04:48 PM
User-Adjustable Spring Tension? I can see where, just not sure why.

Lightening the spring tension also lightens the bolt lift force. But, can also give unreliable primer ignition. Adjustable lets you tune to the lightest lift with reliable ignition.

BillPa
01-19-2013, 08:13 PM
User-Adjustable Spring Tension?

A little...ah...older version.:p

http://i45.tinypic.com/fxrpea.jpg

The BAS drilled/tapped to 1/4-28, a set screw faced off with a slight taper(coned) and "dimpled" for the bearing to ride in.

Once the tension screw is adjusted a second 1/4" long 1/4-28 set screw is inserted to lock it in place, but still allows the BAS to be removed with a 1/4" Allen wrench.

Bill

jibben
01-19-2013, 08:59 PM
neat idea Bill. took a second for the how to on the second set screw lock idea to catch up.

axio
01-20-2013, 03:23 AM
What would be the point/advantage of the PT&G bolt face?

JeepsAndGuns
01-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Those look nice! I would be interested in the BAS, cocking sleeve/lift kit and probably a bolt handle. When do they go on sale? I searched and found their website, they list the bolt body and head, but not the rest.

LRJammer
01-20-2013, 11:14 AM

The factory bolt heads are investmen cast and work fine for the average hunter that doesnt shoot much. If you shoot a lot, they become pitted. The PT&G bolt head is machined from solid steel and wont degrade over time.

BillPa
01-20-2013, 11:45 AM
The factory bolt heads are investment cast

?????

June 8th, 2012

In the article, author Darnell writes that Savage factory bolt heads are investment cast. Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooter Supply says this is not correct:
“Savage bolt heads were NEVER investment cast. From the get-go they were machined from solid stock. In 1988 they went to special profiled 41L40 bar stock to save machining operations and heat treated to 35-42 RC.”

Bill

jibben
01-20-2013, 12:08 PM

They hold tighter tolerances in there machining.

LRJammer
01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
?????

Bill

Assuming that to be true, why then would they pit as they do?

BillPa
01-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Assuming that to be true, why then would they pit as they do?

What do you mean by "pit as they do"?

LRJammer
01-20-2013, 03:33 PM
That would be the pitting that occurs in an annular pattern around the firing pin hole. Usually as a result of some kind of primer leakage upon firing. Obviously that is generally a relatively rare occurrance unless excessive pressures or worn brass are encountered but accidents do happen. I dont really care to have my rifle damaged if I can avoid it. My Winchesters and FN bolt rifles dont have this problem. The one Savage that I have hasnt shown it but it hasnt been shot much. A friends model 10 had a pretty bad case of the pitting.

PT&G and others dont generally go to the design and manufacturing trouble and expense of creating something unless there is a demand for it, and there is certainly a reason and demand for this.

JaredCO
01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Anyone know when PTG will have these available? I'll call them tomorrow

drybean
01-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Anyone know when PTG will have these available? I'll call them tomorrow

please keep us updated

drybean

gpb11
01-21-2013, 08:28 PM
The PTG site lists a Hornet bolt head. Does anybody here have any experience with using this bolt head to build a Hornet based rifle?

J.Baker
01-22-2013, 05:09 AM
That would be the pitting that occurs in an annular pattern around the firing pin hole. Usually as a result of some kind of primer leakage upon firing. Obviously that is generally a relatively rare occurrance unless excessive pressures or worn brass are encountered but accidents do happen. I dont really care to have my rifle damaged if I can avoid it. My Winchesters and FN bolt rifles dont have this problem. The one Savage that I have hasnt shown it but it hasnt been shot much. A friends model 10 had a pretty bad case of the pitting.

PT&G and others dont generally go to the design and manufacturing trouble and expense of creating something unless there is a demand for it, and there is certainly a reason and demand for this.

First off, the whole notion that the factory bolt heads are investment cast came from that nit-wit's article promoting PT&G's bolt heads - a writer who clearly didn't bother to research or verify his so-called "facts". His whole article was nothing more than a sales pitch filled with all the marketing catch phrases and sales pitches Dave Kiff gave him. On the other hand, both Fred and I are friends with a retired Savage engineer (Bob Greenleaf) who worked there for 26 years before retiring in 1988, and we both have direct numbers to several of Savage's current engineers and others to get the real facts right from the source.

Number two, I've yet to see a single bolt head that had pits on the face. Not saying it can't happen as even billets have defects, but it's not an every day occurrence or even a semi-frequent occurrence. Yes the factory bolt head faces are a little dished from how they're polished in a vibratory tumbler, but that's about the only benefit the PT&G bolt heads have over a factory one. Dave Kiff himself said they used Savage's outside dimensions and Remington's inside dimensions, and if you bother to measure one (or a dozen) you'll find that the bolt face on the PT&G bolt heads are just as loose tolerance-wise as the factory ones. So basically you're paying twice as much for a PT&G bolt head that's only marginally better than a factory bolt head.

As for their going to the trouble and expense to offer them, it's all about the demand and the fact Savage has been so busy that they're using all of their parts inventory to assemble complete guns and thus have very little to spare to ship out to the likes of Brownell's and Midway USA. So yes, PT&G is filling a niche by offering them, but what they're offering is nothing special or any better than the factory bolt head - not by any means, and the only justification for their price is that they have them in stock ready to ship whereas more often than not the factory ones are out-of-stock at the typical retailers due to a limited supply from the source.

Grayfox
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
When I rebuilt my 12VLP in 204 Ruger I ordered a new PTG bolt head. Yes it does cost more but it was worth it. My problem with the factory bolt head was poor ejection. This problem went away with the PTG bolt head. I demand more from a custom part than a factory part and it did not disappoint me. My next build will have one too!

Grayfox