PDA

View Full Version : New Savage Parts from PT&G

Pages : 1 [2]

Speedrat1
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
In my experience the Savage bolts have not presented as much problem with the 375 bolts as has Remingtons new extractors. It does exist on both brands and usually is a less than perfect working ejector. The even better solution on the small head is a Sako or mini-16 extractor IMHO. For what it's worth the Savage bolt heads are some of the hardest and best finished in "class", with perhaps TC and Howa being a little higher priced exceptions.

When I rebuilt my 12VLP in 204 Ruger I ordered a new PTG bolt head. Yes it does cost more but it was worth it. My problem with the factory bolt head was poor ejection. This problem went away with the PTG bolt head. I demand more from a custom part than a factory part and it did not disappoint me. My next build will have one too!

Grayfox

geargrinder
01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Best part of the PTG stuff is that you can get the long action 223 bolt heads, short action magnum bolt heads, and left hand Lapua bolt heads. There are no other online retailers selling these that I know of.

Mach2
01-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Somebody posted pitting and annular pattern pitting somewhere in here a month or so ago. If a bolt action has any leakage to the point that it leaves evidence I would think this would have to be fixed if the rifle is used a lot. I'm having trouble believing that buying a fancy new bolt is the repair.
However, if you seek perfection and precision and like bolt handle movement smooth as silk I'd say these hifallutin bolt kits may be the cure for your bolt action dreams.

J.Baker
01-23-2013, 02:48 AM
The problem with that fancy new adjustable BAS Kiff is offering is that it won't work on any of the newer guns with the cocking indicator passing through the BAS, and since all Model 110-series rifles are slowly being switched to the 1-piece firing pin assembly like is found on the Axis and Model 220 slug gun, it won't work on ANY new gun here in the very near future.

Oops...guess that little fact slipped by them. :whistle:

82boy
01-23-2013, 11:15 AM
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/shotlist006.jpg

Just currious, anyone else see something missing from this set up? Ontop of that anyone else see something wrong with the bolt handle?

jibben
01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
You don,t need no stinken rear baffle if your not running a savage bolt.

Mach2
01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
That is very odd for anyone to claim Savage uses investment castings. Shouldn't they post a retraction? Shouldn't Kiff have called the writer and straightened out the mistaken claim?

But again, leaky primers are not erased with new boltheads. You'd just be shooting leaky primers out a new bolthead assembly wouldn't you?