PDA

View Full Version : Bolt will not completely close

Pages : [1] 2

missed
01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Well my new rifle I pulled the action to relieve the stock some and now that it is back in the bolt will not completely close.I must have bumped the bolt from full close when the action was out. What do I have to do now? **** my luck!

seanhagerty
01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
try backing off your front action screw and see what happens

missed
01-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I tried that no luck. The bolt goes to horizontal and it will release the firing pin at this location when you pull the trigger, something is keeping the bolt from dropping all the way down.

acemisser
01-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I tried that no luck. The bolt goes to horizontal and it will release the firing pin at this location when you pull the trigger, something is keeping the bolt from dropping all the way down.

Man you got that messed up big time...Hope you can fix it..What did you do to it when it was out?

missed
01-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I originally pulled the action to trim the stock, then decided to clean the action real good since i figured from the factory the oils they use are probably more for corrosion protection than anything else. Then I dropped the action back in the stock and just went snug tight on screws then went to put the bolt in and then ran into this. I had done this plenty of times on Remington700 actions and never had an issue. I figured there is a trick to get it back in now, but I'm stumped and really don't want anything tore up.

Wyomingwindage
01-04-2013, 11:49 PM
A long shot, but I took my bolt apart to find reasons for misfires. Put it back together, and had about same problem. The pin in slot was not positioned right. Just ahead of the bolt handle.

missed
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Dang my luck i did torque my scope base and the second screw from the from caused the issue, but the front screw broke off flush when I went to loosen it! So hopefully I will find an ez out small enough tomorrow or a left handed drill bit.

Westcliffe01
01-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Don't buy those cheap aluminum bases with their chinese screws... Get a Warne steel base with real screws and blue loctite the base to the action as well as the base screws. Then, even if the screws were to fall out, (don't know how that would happen) the base will still stay on...

missed
01-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Don't buy those cheap aluminum bases with their chinese screws... Get a Warne steel base with real screws and blue loctite the base to the action as well as the base screws. Then, even if the screws were to fall out, (don't know how that would happen) the base will still stay on...

I wanted an egw 20 moa base but i can't find them and they are saying 12 weeks for one. I ended up with one of the cheap weaver ones, since it was the only thing I could find. I'm calling a couple more places tomorrow I will see what I can dig up.

Thanks!!

thirty06
01-05-2013, 07:59 AM
IT's not "the cheap chinese screws" , quit tightening the screws like they were wheels on a semi.

seanhagerty
01-05-2013, 09:00 AM
IT's not "the cheap chinese screws" , quit tightening the screws like they were wheels on a semi.

I was looking for the "LIKE" button for this post!

acemisser
01-05-2013, 09:16 AM
LIKE LOL Yes for some reason people think they have to be sighter than a frog but tux I use finger nail polish and just snug them up
and never had one come loose.....

bigedp51
01-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Gorilla tight: Tighten the screw until the threads start to smoke and then give the screw two more full turns.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/bolt-10-32-with-failure.gif

missed
01-05-2013, 10:52 AM

That front screw on mine was bottomed out that was the problem. I went to re torque since there were loose ones.

Westcliffe01
01-05-2013, 11:54 AM
There is no doubt that many of the cheap aluminum scope rings and bases come with screws which are of poor quality. I learned my lesson after the first one I owned, and bought Warne ever since.

missed
01-05-2013, 12:06 PM
There is no doubt that many of the cheap aluminum scope rings and bases come with screws which are of poor quality. I learned my lesson after the first one I owned, and bought Warne ever since.

I definitely want a better base but I'm on the waiting game that's why I just got a cheap one. My problem was the screw was bottomed out in a blind hole and the head snapped off then I tried to take it out.

geargrinder
01-05-2013, 12:35 PM

EGW's do come with really poor quality fasteners. I really like their bases, but don't use their screws.

thirty06
01-05-2013, 12:44 PM
That blind hole you refer to goes to the barrel.

BillPa
01-05-2013, 12:47 PM
That blind hole you refer to goes to the barrel.

Its why I use this BEFORE installing mount screws!
http://i44.tinypic.com/167rpdz.jpg

Billl

jibben
01-05-2013, 01:06 PM
depth gauge?