PDA

View Full Version : Silicone and fishing weight in the stock

Pages : [1] 2

*tim*
12-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Has anyone ever heard of this? My father in law was telling me about something he heard about people taking their hollow synthetic stocks and squirting some silicone in the hollow part and and a fishing weight in the middle of the silicone giving the the gun a little more weight and the lead weight would be a a bit of a shock absorber. What do you guys think

*tim*
12-27-2012, 06:28 AM
No thoughts on this? It makes sense to me but I don't wanna ruin my stock so was thinking of lining the stock with a plastic bag first

Blue Avenger
12-27-2012, 08:25 AM
A fishing weight? How big is "A" fishing weight? 1/2 oz would do nothing.

acemisser
12-27-2012, 10:27 AM
I put 4 45-70 cases filled with lead in my stock to help balance it out....The front was barrel heavy...lol

mattm0812
12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
I know Frank shoved a bunch of buck shot in his.

Or something like that...

*tim*
12-27-2012, 10:57 AM
So the weight is common but what about the silicone

rjtfroggy
12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Never heard of the silicone, but some have mixed shot into epoxy then poured into the stock. I did it this way to fill and solidify a mag well, worked for me.
Do a search I think some have even used beach sand.

*tim*
12-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Do you guys think the weight suspended in silicone would be more effective then a dead weight like epoxy or sand. I would think silicone would absorb more energy then a dead weight

Mach2
12-27-2012, 11:48 AM
If you're dealing with flex weight won't satisfy. You need a brace like a rod. If you are dealing with balance then weight and silicon would be one way to solve that issue. I have used silicon gel in motorcycle handlebars to absorb vibration. Lotta ways to skin a cat but most folks bought tupperware stocks to cut weight so making a tupperware stock into a heavier stock defeats the whole purpose of that stock. The main issue is to make sure the barrel doesn't touch to stock, You obviously like the inexpensive silicon and lead approach. You can always remove the silicon if you don't like it.

*tim*
12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Found these while searching it says to epoxy them to the side of the stock and use spray flame to fill the rest of the cavity

http://www.edwardsrecoilreducer.com/

acemisser
12-27-2012, 12:44 PM
My question is=I don't understand why people buy a rifle that kicks and then try to tame it down..Why not just buy a tamer rifle in the first place...Or why not just have a brake put on it...?

*tim*
12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm no expert but have looked into brakes and they are expensive and even more expensive to have installed. I bought this rifle for long range hunting and can handle the recoil but if I can reduce recoil and give the rifle better balance for under $10 then why not

acemisser
12-27-2012, 01:29 PM
You have to remember some of the recoil pads are glued on and a ***** to remove with out reuining them..
If the stock is hollow-just put a package of bb's in it..

stangfish
12-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Did you ever take a Fiziks class?

*tim*
12-27-2012, 06:08 PM
physics? I haven't taking any

stangfish
12-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Take all you can. Froggy is on the right track and the large fishing weights will work. so will lead shot or tire balance weights. remember that you will change the balance of the weapon as well as effect the comfort level of carrying a lighter weapon. A good brake is ideal but a heavy stock works . Why did you need so much cartridge?

*tim*
12-27-2012, 08:57 PM
I bought the 300 for long range public hunting. My marlin 30-30 is my go to rifle for under 200yrds

DanSavage
12-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Silicone used with lead fishing weights is a good idea for one who wants to keep cost down. The whole concept of the silicon is to keep the weights from rattling and making unwanted noise, especially in a hunting rig. I say go for it and try to get in as much lead as you can to actually make a difference. I't would be even cheaper if you could stop by a couple local auto shops and ask for a few handfuls of wheel weights. You could cut them up into pieces to get more in but make sure you apply enough silicone during the process. Like mentioned before if you don't like the results the weights and silicone can be removed.

wbm
12-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I use decorative sand from Wal-Mart....works great, is clean, and easy to undo if you want. I just take two Q-Tip sticks and put them in the recoil pad screw holes so the sand does not go there....you don't want it to go there! been there done that!...and pour the sand in the stock. No rattle, no mess, no fuss. Makes a hollow stock very solid.

*tim*
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I ended up packing a couple sheets of paper in the stock, a tube of silicone, a couple 2.5 oz weights then about 1/4 of the styrofoam that came in there to begin with. I'll let you guys know sat how much difference it made