PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with Cracked Barrel Nut

Pages : [1] 2

antsi
12-22-2012, 11:49 PM
I have an older 110 in .30-06 (left hand, if that matters).
I was taking it apart intending to do some trigger adjustment, and noticed that the barrel locking nut is cracked.
The crack goes all the way through - ie, instead of being a full "O", the nut is a "C".

Couple of questions:
1) Is there a safety issue here?
2) What would be involved in replacing this? I am guessing there is more to it than just screwing it on, especially if this is what determines headspacing.
3) I looked at Numrich and they are sold out of this nut. Any other ideas where I can get one?

fgw_in_fla
12-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Make absolutely positively sure it's cracked and not a machining mark or assembly scratch. If you know for fact its cracked, you'll have to replace it & reset your headspace.
Not a big project but critical nonetheless.

Check Midway or ask around here. If you draw blank, drop me a PM. I may have an extra one.

Do a search on barrel swapping. You'll find all the info you need up to & including - "The Great GO / No Go Gauge or Scotch Tape Debate".
Personally, I like new brass & tape myself but that's me.

Good luck with it & Don't shoot it until you replace the nut. If the barrel moves while shooting you'll have real problem.
Frank in Fla

Franklyn
12-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Could you post a picture of the cracked barrel nut?
As to your questions, ditto what Frank in FL said.

antsi
12-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Definitely not a scratch. I can look down in the crack and see the threads on the barrel. It is cracked the whole length of the nut.

Thanks for the replies. I will not shoot until fixed.

I will try to get a picture but it will take me a couple of days.

bootsmcguire
12-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Ditto with frank. The nut is what keeps the barrel in its position. Even if it doesn't loosen enough to give excess headspace your accuracy would most likely be horrible. Of course, safety first.

acemisser
12-25-2012, 10:36 PM
never in all my 69 years have I heard of that happening...sounds like maybe someone split it to remove,??

scope eye
12-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Send me your info and I will send you a barrel nut.

Tanks Dean

scope eye
12-26-2012, 08:54 AM
If you think your headspace did not move make two allingment marks, on the bottom side one on the barrel and one on they action,

Tanks Dean

thomae
12-26-2012, 09:02 AM
If you think your headspace did not move make two allingment marks, on the bottom side one on the barrel and one on they action,

Tanks DeanAntsi, Not trying to be argumentative first thing in the morning, but from your posts, it sounds to me as if you don't know how or why the barrel nut was split or cracked, whether or not the barrel has turned at all or whether it is still headspaced correctly. You are going to have to pull the barrel anyway to replace the nut, so, regardless of alignment marks, you should make sure your headspace is set correctly when you put everything back together. In your situation, I would most strongly suggest the use of at least a go gauge. Just want you to be safe.

scope eye
12-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Thomae come to think of it your right, as soon as you move the nut the headspace has changed,

Dean

geargrinder
12-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Thomae come to think of it your right, as soon as you move the nut the headspace has changed,

Dean

No, the headspace only changes if the barrel moves. But, with a loose or cracked nut, there is no way to tell if the barrel has moved or by how much.

acemisser
12-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Ditto

stangfish
12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
No, the headspace only changes if the barrel moves.

Well, yes... and no.

Good advice here antsi, but don't get all worked up over it. Hehe

tomme boy
12-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Call Savage to get a call tag to send it back to have them fix it. As long as this is a factory gun and it is not a put together, it is on them.

scope eye
12-26-2012, 03:38 PM
When I am setting head space, and it is just a little to tight, all I do is tighten the barrel nut more with out turning the barrel, and it sets it just right.

Tanks Dean

ellobo
12-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Scope eye is right. If the headspace is set tight, tightening the nut actualy backs the barrel out about .002 and your good to go. Of course, it depends on how tight you make the nut. I hand tighten and one rap on the nut wrench with a deadblow hammer does the trick.

El Lobo

geargrinder
12-26-2012, 09:55 PM
You guys are picking the fly do do in the pepper, not the actual problem.

antsi
12-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Call Savage to get a call tag to send it back to have them fix it. As long as this is a factory gun and it is not a put together, it is on them.

I like your thinking, but the Savage website says they will not service guns made prior to 1995. The give the serial number that is the cutoff. That serial number has two or three digits more than mine - and, based on the pictures in this FAQ http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?129-Early-Savage-110-Trigger-Adjustment I have reason to believe my rifle is from the 1960s (or at least the trigger assembly is).

stangfish
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
You guys are picking the fly do do in the pepper

Isn't that what us forum vultures do? .....and you just wait, in three months Acemisser will have more posts than you!

antsi
12-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Here are the pictures requested above:

#1 - the cracked nut
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s548/alathIN/bth_CrackedBarrelNut_zps285bc5b9.jpg?t=1356661672
#2 and #3 - here's me twisting the barrel easily back and forth. I'm pretty sure I should not be able to do this ;-) http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s548/alathIN/bth_CrackedBNtwist2_zpsb04ad646.jpg?t=1356661706ht tp://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s548/alathIN/bth_CrackedBNtwist1_zps4df1db98.jpg?t=1356661700