PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of building a rifle.

Pages : [1] 2

squawsach
12-05-2012, 01:18 AM
I shoot and tinker with firearms and have for a few years. Truth be known, I need another rifle like a fish needs a bicycle. If I did need another rifle, an off the shelf rifle would do anything I need it for. I love the 110FP in 25-06 I already have. This Savage Shooters web site is making me think about building another rifle from a stripped down action. In fact, I stopped at Wal-Mart and they had a 10FXP in .308 on the shelf and all I could see was a reciever with and accu-trigger on it. I aready have a .308 so i didn't notice the barrel. I make my own stocks so I didn't notice the flimsy plastic stock. All I could think about was which short action round do I not already have which will fit on the .308 bolthead. This is stupid. Unless someone talks me out of it I know will buy that mod 10, which probably shoots just fine the way it is, strip it down, and start investing money into parts the gun already had. Maybe a 6.5CM barrel. I don't have one of those.

redman
12-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Why not something not very many people have like a 6.5 super lr or 260 ackley?

Bossman
12-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Squawsatch,
You got the sickness, for sure. Like me.
Bossman

stomp442
12-05-2012, 01:55 AM
The .260 Ackley is a dandy of a cartridge. I love mine. It will do anything the 6.5-284 will do from a short action. If not that one I would build a .250 Ackley

Delaware_Ken
12-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Good Morning,

Just a little friendly advice. Stop now while you can!!!!!! Three years ago I was in the same boat you are in now and I'm still thinking about my next build. So far I have put together a 2 6BR's, a 260, a 223, and am now thinking about a 6.5x284. Stop now while you can. It's addiictive.

My name is Ken and I'm a Savageaholic......

fgw_in_fla
12-05-2012, 06:10 AM
Unlike the others that will readily admit to their addiction, I am an enabler. PM your email to me so I can send you some photos of all kinds of stock Savage rifles & a bunch of custom & semi custom builds. Then, I'll send you a barrel nut.

Go ahead & do it. You only go round once. It is better to build & not regret than to regret for not building.

Give it to yourself as a Christmas gift. You earned it.
Frank in Fla

Slenk
12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
.25 Souper? Buy the rifle then figure it out. Go for it.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.25-08+.25+Souper.html

Blue Avenger
12-05-2012, 10:14 AM
don't do it. I tried!

John_M
12-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Sleep on the decision for a month or so. Think of all the important and practical things you could do with that money...car or house payments, lower credit card debt (if you have any), gift for an important family member, etc.

Best wishes and good luck. :nevreness:

thomae
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Do you have a friend who enjoys shooting? Perhaps you could help him or her build a rifle. That way, you could still have the experience, (it is always fun to teach someone something new) and they would have the expense...but you would probably get to shoot the rifle on occasion.

SFLEFTY
12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I've been a hopeless tinkerer since I first figured out how my hands worked. I'm now actually one of those that hands you that 308, and I see it the same as you when I handle it. I'm obviously not going to be much help. I think when you know you have the skill, it's pretty hard not to proceed towards the "even better rifle" goal.

JackinSD
12-05-2012, 01:02 PM
You know if they have 2 or 3 or 4 of them you can do more than 1. That way you can heal the sickness for 2,3 or 4 times as long.

rrflyer
12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't do it. Just tell
Me where that Walmart was and ill take care of the problem. :)

BillPa
12-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Why not something not very many people have

Like a 270-08 or it's bigger brother the 270-08 Improved maybe?

Bill

davemuzz
12-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Your post says to talk you out of building a new one. Ok, sit back 'cause here is my long and arduous read.

Don't.

That's it. Now....BillPa...you have any beer? PM me your address 'cause I'm puttin it in my GPS and I'm bringing over the Jack. We've never met....but I'm sure with all my rifles in the back of my truck....plus the ammo....if you have a few targets....we will get along just fine. Drinking starts post target!!!!

Nandy
12-05-2012, 07:04 PM
squawsach, sorry, but no can't do. Listen to the likes of fgw_in_fla, davemuzz and me that are not trying to lead you into the "unnatural" state of mind of "I don't need another gun". I see you are dwindling right there and you are trying hard to get into that unnatural thinking but let it go, be yourself, say "I'm squawsach, I belong to the Brotherhood of the barrel NUT(s), Im a Savageaholic and I stand proud..."

Are you really willing to miss the excitement of waiting for the new target/varmint/bull barrel you ordered complete with muzzle brake? Don't forget, getting to spend hours online choosing which reloading die, brass, bullets, primers, powder brand, etc to buy? Think about that new action needing that acutrigger adjusted. The smell of hardwood as you create a one of a kind stock for the new rig, take off your mask after you are done painting the stock and let the paint fumes take you to that special land where all actions are True and every barrel shots sub moa groups of .3" or better no matter what you feed them.

Get a workout in your arms while you mix the devcon and challenge your fine motor skills as you apply the bedding material exactly where you want it. Think about the fun you would miss while you prep your brass as you wait for the devcon to cure... Weighting bullets, brass and saving them in little plastic bags to have them separated in groups properly labeled. No sir, you wont be able to survive the need to install that scope base, rings and scope then as soon as you are done raise the gun to your shoulder and see that crisp image in your scope as you imagine your favorite object at the other side of it...

Are you sure you want to deny yourself of the sleepless night right before you take your new rig to the shooting range? What charge/bullet/primer will it like, how small will the group be? How fast will it go?

Think about all of these calibers?
220Swift
224Clark
225Win.
22BR
22CheetahMkI
240WbyMag
243Win
25-'06Rem
25-284Win
260Rem
270Win
280Rem
284Win
300Sav
6.5mm-06A-Square
6mm-284Win
6mmBR
6mmRem
7.65ArgentineMauser
7mm-08Rem
7mmBR
7x57
7x64Brenneke
8mm-06Spr
8x57Mauser
8x60S

They should all fit the .308 Winchester bolt head and they all should fit that short action, some as a single shot only but I think they all do. Further more, these are .472 and I have been told you can use the .473 bolt head for them. I have no personal knowledge this is true but I thought I share...
22-250Rem
250Sav

Look at them, they all look so alone... Ask yourself, Can you really bear NOT TO....

stangfish
12-05-2012, 08:28 PM
358 winchester.

Apache
12-05-2012, 09:27 PM
YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE TO BE TALKED OUT OF A BUILD!!!!!!! :p

BTW ---- 22-243 Middlestead on a fast twist barrel. :cool:

drybean
12-05-2012, 09:45 PM
LOL the hook has been set
i found tis place 2 years ago now i am on my 4th build
drybean

squawsach
12-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I kinda figured that i wouldn'y get much help. It's been awhile since I tinkered on a rifle. I may just have to bite the bullet and build one. I'm leaning towards a 7mm-08 build. Ballistics look pretty good and I already have the dies. Probably a big, heavy thing. I have plenty of light rifles.