PDA

View Full Version : Truing and timing an action

Pages : [1] 2

scythefwd
11-26-2012, 09:46 AM
OK folks, working on a savage build.. hence why I'm here.

Right now its a savage 110 with 30-06 barrel. 3 screw trigger, factory wooden, non pillar bedded stock.

The direction I'm going is:
Savage 110 action, original bolt and trigger (tuned to 2.75lbs)
Shilen Match stainless barrel, .308 win , 1:10, 24", heavy sporter contour
Competition recoil lug (stainless)
Trued stainless barrel nut
Boyds laminate thumbhole stock with pillar and devcon bedding.

Will truing and timing my action with Mr. Moreo add much if any benefit? Will it require re-bedding my stocks (doign both the factory wood so I can take it out into the woods and beat it up and leave the thumbhole for range work). Do I just ship the action, or the barreled action. Does his price on the webpage include the removal/re-install of the barrel if I ship the whole thing to him?

Slenk
11-26-2012, 10:49 AM
I would call and ask them at SSS.

scythefwd
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I've already emailed. But lets be honest, I take a companys word with a mountain of salt when I hear them talk about their own products.

Ranger3
11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
There are some posts either in this website or others that have talked about the truing of an action and the effect on accuracy. Some believe it has negligible effect. Some years ago I gave a Model 70 Win black shadow ($300 gun) to a gunsmith to do trigger work, action trued and squared whatever all that is. It cut my groups in half but I don't know how much of it was the trigger vs. the rest of it. I'd be inclined to shoot it first and see how it goes before I have work done on the action. But then that is just me.

82boy
11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Talk to SSS they are not goping to "fluff you" on thier products.
If you still need more information try searching this web site, the subject has been covered a few hundred times.
Will you see any benifit to a SSS T&T action, well I guess it depends on what you precieve as a benifit. If you mean a much lighter bolt lift, and a action that is functionaly correct, then yes you will see a benifit. Will it make you shoot small groups, maybe maybe knot, alot depends on the shooter, and thier abilities. Look at T&T as the "Icing on the cake." Will you have to rebed the action, no you dont, but if the action was warped from the get go causing stess, you may want to look into redoing the bedding.

bsekf
11-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Patrick has it right about a warped or twisted action. It is very easy to warp an action when you remove the first factory barrel and you'll never know you did it. If I read one of Fred's post right, he straightens the action and squares the lugs with the bolt face and action threads. Do keep in mind that if you change a bolt face on a T&T'd action, it no longer is trued. I have one T&T'd and one that is not and there is a difference.

scythefwd
11-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Patrick has it right about a warped or twisted action. It is very easy to warp an action when you remove the first factory barrel and you'll never know you did it. If I read one of Fred's post right, he straightens the action and squares the lugs with the bolt face and action threads. Do keep in mind that if you change a bolt face on a T&T'd action, it no longer is trued. I have one T&T'd and one that is not and there is a difference.

I dont see how it could possible take the action out of true.. but it would definitley take the action out of time. He machines both the lugs on the bolt face and the lugs on the action...

tomme boy
11-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Do NOT waste your $. If you were having Fred doing the whole build, then why not as he already has it. If your bolt already is smooth to open, you will not feel a difference. The action is not trued as to what a real true job is. Re-cut the lead in on the lugs is not a true job.

airdale
11-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I had my action done by fred and the bolt fluted at the same time it is buttery smoth and a thing of beauty.

You just send the action and I would just order the barrel nut and lug from them at the same time.
You'll have to call Lisa and get an authorization number. Print out an order form and send it with you action.
Great people to deal with. Couldn't recommend them more highly.

scythefwd
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
airdale.. I already have the lug and nut.. I ordered it with the shilen barrel I got from NSS.

scratcherky
11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
If I recall correctly, there is an additional charge to remove and reinstall the barrel and setting the headspace. I had Fred do one for me a while back and
to me it was worth every penny.

bsekf
11-28-2012, 02:50 PM
scythefwd, I was pointing out that after a T&T, if you changed the bolt head you would negate the T&T. You could send both bolt heads to Fred and he probably could T&T them both to the action.

Bill

scythefwd
11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
I got that, but the True and Time are two different proceedures and they are independant to each other. Its a symantics thing solely for accuracy.

mattm0812
11-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Youtube is your friend.

I learned almost everything on youtube.

Even to fly fish...

stangfish
11-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Youtube is your friend.

I learned almost everything on youtube.

Even to fly fish...

This is classic!

P.S. Can you really fly a fish?

Blue Avenger
11-28-2012, 08:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/funny%20pic/emocons/pics4.gif

frank1947
11-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Competition Barrel nut? so what could that nut possible do that the one from the factory doesn't, Competition recoil lug, take that money and put a good trigger on it will do you more good then that other stuff

davemuzz
11-28-2012, 09:01 PM
I have competition nutz. I just can't post the pic's on this forum.

drybean
11-28-2012, 09:14 PM
I have competition nutz. I just can't post the pic's on this forum.

MR.Muzz way to much info.

drybean

Blue Avenger
11-28-2012, 10:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/funny%20pic/emocons/thbraingrater_210.jpg