PDA

View Full Version : does bottom mounted Bolt release require different stock inlet??

Pages : [1] 2

Detritus
11-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Ok, hopefully my last stock related question for awhile. did a search and came up empty, admitedly my "Search-Fu" weak.

Do the rifles with the bolt release mounted at the front of the triggerguard require a different stock inlet? Earlier this week I went by the shop where my wife's new rifle is on layaway to get a first lookat/inspection done. I hadn't been thinking about it, but it's an AccuStock equipped rifle with the triggerguard mounted release (as assume that all accustock models have the same release).

I just want to confirm one way or the other if, when the time comes to restock it, I need to be looking for a stock meant for this style of bottom metal, or if any centerfeed inlet will do.

thank you for your time and patience with my out of touch self. any and all info you can provide is welcome and appreciated.

1S1K
11-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Yes, the stocks are different. I just ordered a wood stock for my M11 Trophy Hunter XP 6.5 Creedmoor (not AccuStock) with the front trigger guard bolt release and they are different from the models with the side release. The only place that I found a stock that would fit (the new models, like yours and mine) was at Numrich Gun Parts. It specifically stated it was for the front bolt release models and will not fit the side release models. I also talked to Customer Service and they said they get the stocks from Savage. Numrich price = $123.50, Savage price = $250.00 . Apparently, they get 1 hell of a discount. Hope this helps.

Jim

Detritus
11-18-2012, 01:04 AM
So are you in effect saying that ONLY the "Accustock" as origin sourced from savage will fit the rifles with the trigger guard bolt-release??

that'd be kind of a bummer as I'd like to eventually swap the factory stock for something like the Sharp Shooter LVT with adjustable cheekpiece...

yorketransport
11-18-2012, 01:54 AM
The bottom bolt release actions will fit into any standard stock. You can inlet them to fit the slightly different bottom metal. I just put my rifles in the stock and don't worry about the bolt release. I just pull the gun from the stock to pull the bolt for cleaning when necessary. I usually pull the stock anyways when I clean.

Andrew

helotaxi
11-18-2012, 06:48 PM
So are you in effect saying that ONLY the "Accustock" as origin sourced from savage will fit the rifles with the trigger guard bolt-release??

that'd be kind of a bummer as I'd like to eventually swap the factory stock for something like the Sharp Shooter LVT with adjustable cheekpiece...

Nope, that's not what he said. He said that he got the correct stock from Numrich and that it was around half the price of ordering it from Savage directly.

Detritus
11-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Nope, that's not what he said. He said that he got the correct stock from Numrich and that it was around half the price of ordering it from Savage directly.

He also said Numrich claimed they were getting the stocks from Savage. so that sounds like the numrich stocks are the same stocks that Savage uses.

Regardless of price paid if all that can be found to fit this action config are the factory "AccuStock" units (which again is what it sounds like), for my intentions that would stink.

headed over to numrich now to take a look..

guess I also need to Query SSS about whether they produce this Inlet for their LVT stock, since that one is near the top of the list for this project.

thomae
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
I dropped a Stevens 200 into an accustock with an extra non-accutriger bottom metal and trigger guard I had. The only change I needed to make to the stock was to rout out the area for the side bolt release. Based on this, I would presume that the bottom inletting is the same for the DBM regardless of where the bolt release is.

Edit: I did change the recoil lug to an accustock recoil lug. They are different.

Detritus
11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
just looked over at Numrich, what they seem to have that is meant for the bottom release system is the savage factory stock.

In an effort to be perfectly clear and direct as to what I am trying to find out, and possibly how i should have done this to begin with.

I want to know if anyone makes a stock that will fit this action/bottom metal combo that is available in a design similar to the following examples

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/Bones_crusher/pix1290110390.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/Bones_crusher/LVT_CatalogPic-1.jpg

Target styles with vertical grips and adjustable cheekpieces (Comb)

I want to move away from the standard Accu-stock profile that to me is "Sporter stock with a wide barrel channel" toaward what i consider a more appropriate and comfortable "Target" stock style.

Specificly I want to change the stock on a current production 12FCV.

helotaxi
11-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Stockade can do the inlet. I just ordered one for my 11 Trophy Hunter. Be advised that his stocks are made to order and he doesn't carry an inventory. He quoted me an 18 week lead time when I placed my order.

His Prairie Dog/Tactical looks almost exactly like the bottom picture, but it's synthetic, and he can add the adjustable cheekpiece if you want it.

Detritus
11-19-2012, 12:30 PM
His Prairie Dog/Tactical looks almost exactly like the bottom picture, but it's synthetic, and he can add the adjustable cheekpiece if you want it.

Yeah, as they say "that's a Whole other Oprah". Never seen proof but i've always suspected those are the same stock in different materials..

Years ago back when i first joined on an earlier version of this forum, SSS used to carry Stockade for awhile, I suspect the PD/Tactical stock was developed with Fred's hand in things (have vague memory of a running comentary on the development of said stock). Then one day SSS no longer has the Stockade stocks on their site and a notice is up saying that they're developing their own line of laminate. One of the first stocks to appear when the new laminates dropped was the LVT.

I suspect there was a business disagreement, beyond that ain't none of my business. But I'm pretty sure I know why the Stockade Prairie Dog/Tactical, and Sharpshooter "Laminate Target Varmint" look like brothers.

helotaxi
11-19-2012, 08:15 PM
McMillan, Manners and HS Precision make stocks that are almost exactly the same as well.

snowgetter1
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I have put a new model 11 action with the front release into a Stocky's varmint thumbhole. As long as you get the action screw spacing correct and with a little fitting it will work. It is not a big deal.

DaveC
11-23-2012, 12:48 AM
I’m new to this site and hope someone can help with a stock inlet question similar to the original post.
I have a laminated tactical stock that’s already inlet for a Savage Target action. I’d like it inlet for a Model 10 PC I just picked up, with the DBM and bottom bolt release. Does anyone know somewhere I can get the inletting done? I’m in Georgia and local would be great.
PS: I’ll have an Accustock available soon.

Detritus
11-23-2012, 02:06 AM
McMillan, Manners and HS Precision make stocks that are almost exactly the same as well.

Yes, this is true.
My memory is that the Stockade P.D. Special was designed/developed in response to a call for a stock similar to the McMillan "A-3,-4, and -5" profile stocks, with a more affordable price point and shorter wait times for one inlet for a Savage.

When Equipped similarly (i.e. all having the following; Pillars or bedding block, Butthook, Adj Comb/Cheekpiece, Forend rail,) the LVT runs $469, the (Painted) P.D. Special $575, and (if i'm reading the pricing guide correctly) the similar McMillans $695 when so equipped. So the price point part at least was accomplished. and i assume the wait times for SSS or Stockade are shorter than the wait for McMillan to pop out a savage inlet in any of their stocks.

As long as you get the action screw spacing correct and with a little fitting it will work. It is not a big deal.

Ok, this is what i was Hoping to hear. that I can order a centerfeed stock (perferably one that can take the DBM) and with a little file/sandpaper work be able to fit the stock to my wife's new rifle. was kind of worried that I'd wind up having to hunt a stock specially inlet for the bottom mounted release.

snowgetter1
11-23-2012, 10:11 AM
If I can remember correctly. The only extra inletting was under the front part of the trigger guard for some clearance required for the little arm thing on the bolt release. I did use a dremel with a mill bit to get it in.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/snowgetter1/DSCN5553.jpg
Here is one inlet for DBM but it is not a front release.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/snowgetter1/DSCN0308.jpg

txbdyguard
12-03-2012, 04:38 AM
I talked to Choate about this very issue. Tactical stock part #25-06-01. Is available for the bolt release in the trigger guard.

jt41time
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
What stock is in the top pic?

just looked over at Numrich, what they seem to have that is meant for the bottom release system is the savage factory stock.

In an effort to be perfectly clear and direct as to what I am trying to find out, and possibly how i should have done this to begin with.

I want to know if anyone makes a stock that will fit this action/bottom metal combo that is available in a design similar to the following examples

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/Bones_crusher/pix1290110390.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/Bones_crusher/LVT_CatalogPic-1.jpg

Target styles with vertical grips and adjustable cheekpieces (Comb)

I want to move away from the standard Accu-stock profile that to me is "Sporter stock with a wide barrel channel" toaward what i consider a more appropriate and comfortable "Target" stock style.

Specificly I want to change the stock on a current production 12FCV.

Detritus
01-22-2013, 08:02 PM
What stock is in the top pic?

Per the B&C website that's the Bell & Carlson "Varmint/Tactical (Adjustable)" I've seen it sold using nomenclature similar to McMillan, ie refering to it as the "Varmint/Tactical A5".

Oh how i wish that one came in a Savage inlet, but currently it only seems to come setup for Remington and Howa.

SlimySquirrel
01-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Hey,
Thanks for asking this by the way!

I have been searching for a while to replace my Accustock as I have the .223 hunter Max1 and I was thinking there were no stocks that would fit that were easily available.

But from this thread it looks as if most stocks will be ok as long as they have a touch of inletting done.

I was thinking of the Boyds Feather Weight Thumbhole so I'll do a little more research and then get something ordered.

Detritus
07-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Couple of months ago I sent an e-mail inquiry to the folks at Stocky's wanting to know if the new version of the B&C "medalist Style 5" formerly listed as the medalist A5 recently released inlet for center-feed SA savages would fit, either out of the box or through mild (ie no machine tools) modification, a rifle with the bottom mounted release.

the response I received... well it didn't sound fully informed some how.

Unfortunately since the rifle has the new accustock on it we would not have anything that would work. Savage changed the recoil lug on those models to where they will not fit the aftermarket stocks. I apologize I could not help you further.

I was under the impression that the recoil lug used on the Accu-stock was narrower side-to-side than the older version, and therefore would pose no difficulty in stock fit (as far as the stock going onto the barreled action) and would only play into minor variations in amount and placement of bedding compound.
If I am wrong in my understanding I would certainly like to know.

at least in part because it helps to know when one has run into misinformed or lazy (ie took the easy way out) customer service reps