PDA

View Full Version : barrel removal

Pages : [1] 2

bigred94
11-14-2012, 07:57 PM
hi guys i know this has been covered time after time but i am trying to remove the factory barrel from my new stevens 308 and have broke three sets of blocks use a bench vise trying to remove it. what am i doing wrong? any thought of what to do next? all i have is a nut wrench and bench vise. i can not seem to set the barrel from sliping in the blocks and when i bare down on the blocks with the vise the blocks split. i am useing pine wood.

any thought or ideas?

snowgetter1
11-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I used rosin on mine to grip it when I used blocks. I think there was some talk of using tape, not which kind, on here at one time also. I will say I have not broken another block since I got an action wrench.

bigred94
11-14-2012, 08:10 PM
i was useing duck take on barrel. how does the action wrench work? can you tell me who has them?

Speedrat1
11-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I'd look on "Flea-Bay" or your favorite online like Brownells or Midway-USA - you're looking for the same action wrench used for Remington if Savage isn't listed in the ad.

jonbearman
11-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Go to nss which is a site sponser 1-763-682-4296 Jim Briggs makes both. Do not use duct tape as it will smear and be a pain to clean off. I use paper index cards as a buffer between the wrench and vice.Once you clamp the barrel in the vice which should be fastened down or in a vice. Then put the reciever wrench on the front most part of the reciever.Then tighten the bolts snuggly and use the wrench to turn the reciever off the barrel.You may have to smack it with a dead blow hammer.This will break the torque easier.

bigred94
11-14-2012, 08:33 PM
do you not need the barrel nut wrench if you use the action wrench?

KRP
11-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Wrap some tape around the action/lug so you don't mar them then use a big nutf$&*er to hold the recoil lug so you can loosen the nut.

geargrinder
11-14-2012, 08:56 PM
I've had the same luck as you with blocks.

Now, I use an action wrench and a nut wrench. Much easier, positive engagement on both wrenches. Nothing to slip.

Both of my wrenches are Wheeler from MidwayUSA.

Opus Dei
11-14-2012, 08:57 PM
do you not need the barrel nut wrench if you use the action wrench?You need a barrel nut wrench regardless of whether you use barrel blocks or an action wrench.

jerkin
11-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Just got my action wrench and barrel nut wrench from Jim Briggs today. Had the barrel off my 7mm-08 in about 5 minutes. Just waiting for the go gage from Midway to get here and I'll put the .243 barrel on and site her in. Both tools are well worth the money, he builds them to last.

Baryngyl
11-14-2012, 10:30 PM
On mine I had to heat the nut up some using a propane torch.
Do not super heat it, it just needed to be hot enuf it was painful to touch but not enuf to actually burn me.

Michael Grace

BillPa
11-14-2012, 11:40 PM
I've had the same luck as you with blocks.

Now, I use an action wrench and a nut wrench. Much easier, positive engagement on both wrenches. Nothing to slip.

Both of my wrenches are Wheeler from MidwayUSA.

I gave up on barrel blocks long ago.

I been using this setup for at least 10 years to remove factory installed barrels. I lost count how many it has removed, my own and those I loaned it to. One day it removed four in about 30 minutes in the range clubhouse setting on a folding table!

The action wrench is refuge from my switch barrel Rem days and the nut wrench a Wheeler.

http://i33.tinypic.com/3ggat.jpg

The handle on the action wrench is all the leverage needed to turn the action loose about 1/4-1/3 of a turn.

BTW, for swaps afterward I use a rear entry wrench and a modified open ended spanner(nut wrench). Makes changing barrels a snap!
http://i34.tinypic.com/21omvia.jpg

Bill

geargrinder
11-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Billpa,

I remember those pictures from years ago when I was struggling with oak blocks. I saw the light, and it was good.

Since I saw those pictures so long ago, I've built a rear entry, port-entry wrench, and modified one of my nut wrenches so I don't have to remove my scopes if I don't want.

Thanks for all the help over the years.

bythebook
11-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Billpa,

I remember those pictures from years ago when I was struggling with oak blocks. I saw the light, and it was good.

Thanks for all the help over the years.

+1 Glad to see you are back ! Hope you hang around a while.

Blue Avenger
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Get a 3# dead blow hammer and hit the wrench! It will take 2 or3 blows. Trying to turn the wrench by hand with soft wood blocks often fails. Unless you have good oak that you can get tight its tough.

jerkin
11-15-2012, 10:16 AM
One thing I didn't see mentioned here, and I couldn't find the information myself with a search when I removed my barrel yesterday, was which way to turn the barrel nut. It's ccw when looking down the barrel from muzzle to breech. Luckily I had the other barrel here and was able to see which way the threads went from that barrel. It wouldn't be hard to try turning the nut the wrong way though.

Cycler
11-15-2012, 09:27 PM
One problem is with the blocks you are using. Pine, or other soft wood, won't bear down enough to grip the barrel without splitting. All of the commercial barrel vises use oak or other hardwood blocks.

geargrinder
11-15-2012, 10:25 PM
I crushed my oak blocks to bits trying to get them tight enough to keep from slipping. Yes, even with rosin.

Went to an action wrench with the nut wrench and never looked back.

bigred94
11-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Well I had no luck with the blocks so I called Jim this morning and have one of his action wrenches on the way. If I use a set up like billpa's will I go up or down with the action wrench?

Nandy
11-15-2012, 10:37 PM
I used a hard wood barrel vise. I drilled a hole in the middle of the hardwood block about 3/4 to 1/2 the side of the diameter of the barrel, then cut the block in half making sure the cut split the hole in half. That way the wood actually "braces" the barrel and hold better. That made the difference from sliping to not slipping for me. After I replaced the savage "gorilla torqued" barrel I just give it a good tap to remove. Action wrenches are the definite way to go specially if you are planning to change barrels often.