PDA

View Full Version : barrel removal

Pages : 1 [2]

geargrinder
11-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Well I had no luck with the blocks so I called Jim this morning and have one of his action wrenches on the way. If I use a set up like billpa's will I go up or down with the action wrench?

Smart move.

The barrel and nut have normal threads. The barrel is screwed into the action. In Billpa's picture, the nut wrench and barrel are supported in his fixture. The action wrench will come down to unscrew the action from the barrel.

CJnWy
11-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Some times we make it harder than it has to be. A dull chisel and a solid hammer does a nice job of loosening those stubbern nuts. Ya I got a wrench and action bar but its still faster and easier to use the old dull chisel.
http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/diesandbullets%20001.jpg

Three44s
11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
The action, barrel and nut are threaded "right hand" ......... remember: righty tighty

If you are on the ejection port side of a right hand action ..... the top of the receiver would turn away from you and the top of the nut turns towards you to loosen.

This means that the nut wrench goes down on your side and the action wrench goes up.

Or try this: With the rifle standing butt down ....... the barrel nut needs to turn counter clockwise.

Also do you have access to a very good long handled 1/2" flex handle? The wheeler nut wrench has squares for such a tool and it makes those stubborn factory mounted barrels a bunch easier.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Three 44s

thomae
11-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I use an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench, put the whole thing on a carpeted concrete floor and use one of my feet to apply my body weight to the nut wrench. I have a barrel vise, but since getting my action wrench, have only used it to hold a barrel when I had to remove a really stubborn barrel nut after disassembly.

r3dn3ck
11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I've found the barrel can be held quite positively with a quick wrap with glossy card stock and a layer of masking tape and a set of AN vise blocks http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fcm3661 . Since the vise and the barrel are both steel and the vise blocks are aluminum, the aluminum will deform first but it never comes to that. Clamp close to the action so you don't bend the barrel and then an action wrench makes life easy.

EDIT: This requires a substantial vise, not some small wimpy job.