PDA

View Full Version : Any reason I shouldn't get a .25-06 Axis?

Pages : [1] 2

Tattooed Bard
10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
New guy to the boards here, long time shooter. What are the reason/s if any my next gun shouldnt be the Axis? I am not looking for caliber wars, I am getting something in .25-06. What I want to know are the reasons that something shouldn't be an Axis?

mattm0812
10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
There are no reasons that you shouldn't.

Fgw_in_Fla's 25-06 axis shoots 5 shot one hole groups at 100 yards.

Tattooed Bard
10-28-2012, 08:55 PM
I have always had a soft spot for the .25-06, whats not to love? You really need two calibers... .25-06 and .45-70 Govt to take anything in North America and beyond, everything else is for fun lol

I want the .25-06 for several reasons, most importantly of which is that the light recoil is perfect to introduce my 11 year old to bigger game hunting (white tail) and not having to worry about a good placed spot not taking one down humanely ( think this is as important as teaching the next generation to hunt). Also want to get back to 500 600 yard shooting distances and the .25-06 excels!

CJnWy
10-28-2012, 09:08 PM
If I had to do it over again I would spend a little more and get a tuffer rifle. I bought it for a truck gun. It has failed misserably to be consistant or tuff. The spendy clips leave a LOT to be desired....I'm about to glue the dang thing in and be done with it!!

mattm0812
10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
If I had to do it over again I would spend a little more and get a tuffer rifle. I bought it for a truck gun. It has failed misserably to be consistant or tuff. The spendy clips leave a LOT to be desired....I'm about to glue the dang thing in and be done with it!!

You can't leave an axis alone and expect to shoot good. The stock is no where near tough. It needs to be reinforced with steel rods and epoxy.

fgw_in_fla
10-28-2012, 09:41 PM
If the budget says keep it under $250, Axis is a good rifle to play with . I especially like the 25.06. I was introduced to it recently & found a new love.
It's insanely accurate, good velocity & I get to shoot it thru something that I only paid 2 beans for. It's a pawn shop rescue. If you like to tinker with a rifle & see results dramatically change with each little project you do on it, then this is your next rifle.

If you want to buy & shoot, keep looking. Axis is without a doubt, an entry level rifle.
Although you can make them look & shoot like this....
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/DSC07421.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/2506with100grNBT001.jpg
Good luck with your decision...
Frank in Fla

Tattooed Bard
10-28-2012, 10:12 PM
I can get the Axis and scope package for 369 plus tax or the 111 with a Nikon scope and accutrigger for 455 plus tax. I want something that's going to run right out of the box. Is there a 100 dollar's worth of of difference between the 2?

1ShotKing
10-28-2012, 10:42 PM
In my opinion the difference between the two is worth more than $100. The Nikon scope is worth the difference in price. Then factor in you are getting the accu-trigger and a better stock as well. Also should you want to do any modifications down the road the 111 has a lot aftermarket support and the axis has next to none. So yes it is well worth it. You get what you pay for and while the Axis is a great entry level rifle, it is just that.

1ShotKing

devildogandboy
10-28-2012, 11:19 PM
In my opinion the difference between the two is worth more than $100. The Nikon scope is worth the difference in price. Then factor in you are getting the accu-trigger and a better stock as well. Also should you want to do any modifications down the road the 111 has a lot aftermarket support and the axis has next to none. So yes it is well worth it. You get what you pay for and while the Axis is a great entry level rifle, it is just that.

1ShotKing

yep, i agree with 1Shot, much better deal if you don't want to mess around with all the mods on the Axis. i really enjoy my Edge(Axis) but i also like to tinker.
with the 111 you have great value there for the price with the Nikon scope and the accu-trigger as 1Shot stated.
your decision, both good rifles!

Gmac5
10-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Go with the 111, great rifle, many aftermarket parts , if you ever wanted to change .

rgburrill
10-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Where can you get a 111 with Accutrigger and Nikon scope for $455? :confused: Are you sure it's not the Bushnell? And don't forget the 111 XP's don't have the Accustock like the non-XP's.

Tattooed Bard
10-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Where can you get a 111 with Accutrigger and Nikon scope for $455? :confused: Are you sure it's not the Bushnell? And don't forget the 111 XP's don't have the Accustock like the non-XP's.

Buds and it is the XP.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78131/Savage+111+TH+XP+25-06+NIKON

Gunther
10-29-2012, 04:39 PM
I just purchased an edge in 25-06 and am very impressed with the accuracy strait from the box. My dad loaded up some 85g bullets for break in and the best 3 shot group on a very windy Florida (hurricane off the coast) day was right at an inch with 2 of the 3 shots in the same hole. Now this is also with us breaking in the barrel I havent done load development and all that was done to this gun was a trigger adjustment. I will be purchasing another edge very shortly in probably a 308 to tinker on and make it more a bench gun to where weight wont matter but as for the 25-06 its a fantastic caliber and the edge is pretty light. Only downside I ran into so far is the clip that comes with it you have to put it in just right for it to click in there. All in all great rifle just like the old savages its ugly but can definitely shoot.

big honkin jeep
10-29-2012, 04:56 PM
New guy to the boards here, long time shooter. What are the reason/s if any my next gun shouldnt be the Axis? I am not looking for caliber wars, I am getting something in .25-06. What I want to know are the reasons that something shouldn't be an Axis?

Having owned both I can truly say "Because any of the 110-116 rifles or the Stevens 200 is a far superior weapon." The day I sold my last Edge rifle for $75 less than I paid and threw in $50 worth of leupold rings and bases was a very good day.

Tattooed Bard
10-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Having owned both I can truly say "Because any of the 110-116 rifles or the Stevens 200 is a far superior weapon." The day I sold my last Edge rifle for $75 less than I paid and threw in $50 worth of leupold rings and bases was a very good day.

Didnt think the Stevens 200 came in 25-06? :confused:

big honkin jeep
10-29-2012, 11:05 PM
It does :)

LHitchcox
10-30-2012, 08:44 AM
The .25-06 is a great performer, even in a 22 inch barrel. My 110 has a 24 inch barrel and it gets about 50 fps more than my father in law's 22 inch tube. In the real world that is not worth quibbling over. After looking at Frank's .25-06 Axis groups, how can anyone doubt the idea of a .25-06 Axis?

fgw_in_fla
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
By the way guys,

Those pics were from BEFORE I put the 24" fat Tac barrel on it. It was insanely accurate with 85gr noslers & 4350 with the old barrel. The new fat barrel just tightened them up a little. In fact I shot thru a hole in a 2x4 that matt had fired his .270 thru. It just seems to be an inherently accurate combo.

I highly recomend one for your shooting pleasure...
Frank in Fla

big honkin jeep
10-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Every now and then the sun is shining just right when a rifle is made. If Frank had bought the two I did I'm sure he'd be singing a different tune. Though some of the axis/edge rifles may be accurate I think it's fair to say the odds are much better with a 110 based rifle.

fgw_in_fla
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Granted, a 110 would be a better choice.
But if the budget says Axis, and a 110 or even a Stevens isn't doable, An Axis will do just fine. For the price & a little time invested, I believe anyone can make them shoot well. There will be those that have issues, be it lousy craftmanship or whatever. I've helped too many young guys I've met at my local range that were ready to throw the rifle in the lake across the road from the firing line. I've yet to have one I couldn't help get better results.
Wheather it was sunny or overcast.
Good luck with selection. Whatever it may be.
Frank in Fla