PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a 7mm Rem Mag build?

Pages : [1] 2

mattri
10-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Tried a search.

Thinking of turning a LA 200 into a 7mm mag. Has anyone else done this?

Other than the bolt face/baffle were any mods needed?

COL on the 7mm mag lists as a touch shorter than a 30-06 so mag length shouldn't be an issue correct?

Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks, Matt.

fgw_in_fla
10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Recoil.

A good Limbsaver or equiv.

I was considering the same thing. I have the barrel, bolt head, lots of brass & bullets. I had read in my Lyman manual under the 7mm Rem Mag load data page that the 7mm RM had the punch of the '06 with less recoil.
Everyone I've talked to says the opposite. Having the opportunity to see a guy next to me at the range shooting one and seeing how it moved him back on the bench seat AND seeing how he didn't want to shoot anymore after 5 rounds, I decided to wait. Maybe I'll come across a barrel with a brake.

I still may feel ambitious & brave one of these days & swap it out with my .270. But today is not that day. Good luck with your decision.

Frank in Fla

devildogandboy
10-23-2012, 07:38 PM
i would rather shoot the 458 or '06 than the 7mm. sold the barrel i recently received on an donor and didn;t even look back. last time i shot one was back in the early 70's and never like it.
458 wasn't near as bad IMO and i felt i could shoot it all day if needed!
these are just my opinions.

mscott71
10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
You'll be fine with that action. I really like the 7mmRM. Put a brake on it and shoot all day if you want.

r3dn3ck
10-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm rebuilding a 7mm rem mag. What you do it in is up to you as long as it's a long action (30-06 is a fine donor action) it'll work just fine with the appropriate bolt head and magazine feed lip mods. I've had plenty of time behind both and there's no difference in recoil to me but muzzle blast from a 7RM is much more pronounced. I'm a huge fan of 7RM. Very potent, long reaching, high BC bullets with good deep penetration. Plenty of powder choices. Destroys a lot of meat if you shoot a critter up close with it.

mattri
10-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. Recoil was a factor for sure, that's a lot of why I decided against a 300 win mag. Last weekend I was able to shoot a buddy's 700 in 7mm mag and I was surprised at how tame it was. Maybe it was the load- factory 150grs- or maybe the factory recoil pad but shooting off a bench I couldn't tell much difference between it and my Stevens 7mm-08 with a 140gr load.

Anyone shooting a Criterion in 7mm mag?

ofdscooby
10-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I had a stock 116 in 7 mag and I redid it put a stockade stock and a Shilen 26 in heavy sporter on it recoil was cut in half

mattri
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Good to know thanks. Thinking of using a Criterion barrel and either a Boyds or similar at the moment. Need to do a little more research on the round but it looks like a winner.

mscott71
10-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. Recoil was a factor for sure, that's a lot of why I decided against a 300 win mag. Last weekend I was able to shoot a buddy's 700 in 7mm mag and I was surprised at how tame it was. Maybe it was the load- factory 150grs- or maybe the factory recoil pad but shooting off a bench I couldn't tell much difference between it and my Stevens 7mm-08 with a 140gr load.

Anyone shooting a Criterion in 7mm mag?

The lighter bullets will recoil less. I have a 9 twist Criterion barrel that has been an excellent shooter. I'd buy another without hesitation.

mattri
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Glad to hear it, I've had great luck with the Criterions so far. Have you tried ant 175/180gr bulletsthrough it?

chiefw04
10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
I have converted a Savage 116 LA into a 7mm RM. I love the convertion. Very simple to do once you have acquired the appropriate tools and go/no go gages. I installed a Choate Tactical stock, Nikon Monarch 4.5 x 20 x 50 scope. The hearth of the convertion is a 26" Varmint SS Douglas Barrel, also a Harris Swivel bypod. Great convertion like I mention before. I'm working out some reloads with Sierra Match King HP, 168 gr and RE 22. So far I'm around 1/2 MOA three shots. Next I'll try adjusting the distance from the lands. Mag length should not be an issue, but you need to change your bolt head. Just few $ from Midway or Brownells.

Nandy
10-25-2012, 05:14 PM
I just got done doing such conversion from a 30-06 LA. I am using a 7mm rm varmint SSS Brux barrel with a brake. I can shot this baby all day long with no problem, pain or getting recoil shy. The brake is awesome. I did shoot it with out the brake and it would not kill me but I would not be shooting it much without it. Without the brake it is very comparable to my 30-06 kick but the 06 (being a 24" sporter barrel) weights less and that might be what even them out..
Im shooting Berger 168 VLD hunting behind 62.1 of RL-19 with a mv of 2944fps. Shooting about .6 at 200 yds and .4 at 100 yds all measured center to center. The only problem I have is that the 2.723 oal that it likes is too long and I can only fit one in the magazine and one in the chamber. All I need is 1 shot anyway unless I feel like filling my day quota...
I was also shooting under 1 inch at 200 yds with nosler bullets. These will fit fine in the magazine. At the end of this season i will evaluate and decide which bullet I will stick to for my current use...

good luck!

mattri
10-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Good information, thanks. The COL issue raises an interesting point. I've been thinking of doing a wsm or a saum so that I can seat the 175/180s out and still use the mag well.

MrMajestic
10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I own both the RM and the RSAUM and prefer the SAUM! JMHO

mattri
10-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Why is that? What, in your opinion are the advantages of the saum?

FUBAR
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
You can do a 280AI, but you will like the 7mm mag...put a brake on it.

handirifle
10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
You have shot the 7mm so you know what it feels like. I have put many rounds down range through the '06, 7mm RM, and 300 WM, and honestly, from least to most it was '06, 300, and 7mm. The 300 was shooting 180gr, the 7mm was shooting 150's. Go figure.

Keep in mind the recoil pad will make a HUGE difference, as will the stock design. Stocks that do not permit a good cheek weld will feel much worse than those that do. When they kick, it both back and up, and if there is a gap between your cheek bone and the stock, you'll get punched in the cheek bone by the stock on every shot.

I have high cheek bones so this is a major issue to me, so much that my '06 wears 1/4" padded cheek rest, in addition to the Kick Eze recoil pad. Man what a tame critter it is now. I thought about the magnum idea as well, but stuck with the '06. Here's one reason why.

Take the Barnes 130gr TSX bullet in the '06. With a BC of .340 it is right beside the 120gr TSX for the 7mm Rm. Load data from Barnes for both calibers and their respective bullets are almost identical, at 3300fps for each from a 24" barrel. The 120gr 7mm is usually considered the deer bullet and the 130 from Barnes would be too, but My guess is either one could be used on much heavier game. I do not know about the 120gr 7mm, but I do know Barnes too the 130gr loaded into a 300WM and took it to Africa, and killed cleanly, nearly every large plains game animal there is. According to their own writing, nearly every shot was a complete pass through, even on the largest antelope (Nilgal?) and Zebra. We're talking elk sized animals and larger.

So, the bullet is up to the task, and I guess I am saying, loaded with the proper bullet, the '06 is REAL hard to outdo. Just be sure the 7mm is what you want.

Remember the '06 does this with 14% less powder than the 7mm.

bootsmcguire
10-26-2012, 08:58 PM
I just put together a 7mm RM in a Mag contour barrel and fitted with a brake. Planning on shooting some 120gr Sierra Spitzers about as fast as I can get them to go. Built mine off of a LA-200 that was a 30-06. Should be a very flat shooter and knock anything froma Deer on down clean on its can. Hopefully tommorrow I can get out and try it weather permitting.

I don't have a Criterion 7mmRM barrel, but the Criterions I have are shooters.

Willoughby
10-26-2012, 09:58 PM
handi rifle is correct
according to most ballistic programs a 7mm Rem duplicates 06 performance
IMHO a 3006 with 210 bergers spanks the 7mm pretty good

Nandy
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Dont get me wrong, I have a place in my heart for my 30-06 and I dont think you will ever catch me without one barrel in such caliber, however, im digging that 07 rm...