View Full Version : Nikon Monarch VS Leuopld

Pages : 1 2 [3]

helotaxi
10-07-2012, 11:56 PM
And US Optics variable scopes start at $1205 for a 1-4X.
If you want a variable that runs up to 10X you'll spend $1670 and have to carry around 30oz of scope!
Yes, and if you look at the closest thing that Leupold has going in their tactical lines it's around 2.5-3x that amount. US Optics also has matching turrets and reticules on all their scopes and some truly innovative features like the split focal plane reticule on some of their low power variables with the CQB reticule in the 2nd focal plane and the mil or MOA ranging reticule in the 1st focal plane. A 10x Mk4 is $1500 if you want a FFP reticule, the glass is inferior to the US Optics and the reticule is in mils while the turrets in MOA. It is lighter, but that's to make up for the weight of the calculator that you have to carry around to convert mils to MOA for corrections and by the time you add the binos to see as well, you're heavier overall ;).

Of the two options in the OP, I'd have to pass. I have a pair of new manufacture Monarchs and I'm disappointed overall. The Leupolds, to me anyway, seriously under perform for the money. I'd find a Bushnell Elite 3-9x and call it good with some money in my pocket.

beta1759
10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Both of my Mark 4 scopes (mil-dot and TMR recticles) have mil dials (M5 dials) and reticles from Leupold. Just sayin'

efm77
10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I think we're getting too far off from the OP question here unless he's willing to fork out a lot more than $400. Mark 4's, US Optics, Nightforce etc. are way more expensive than what he's asking about. Just sayin'.

Leonardo63
10-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Scopes come down to budget and what are you willing to pay for. We all want the same result but cash is king on this one. That being said, I went to Cabellas and looked through scopes for over an hour - I settled on Nikon because for me, it was the best glass for the dollars. If I had 3-4 g's to spend it would have been something different.

One point Trent brought up hit home with me. I mounted mine in those "big ole 6 screw tac rings on cheap aluminum one piece base with 4 little screws" ..... I am on the receiving end of that fact right now and am getting some more smith work done to correct that mistake. I mounted it all up and bore sighted it - POA, foot and a half left@100 - I was pissed. It was fine before with cheap two piece base. What's funny is, I kind of knew something wasn't right. You know how it is when you get your gun together (I do this anyway), you set it up on the rest and just stare at it from all angles, I do it for days off and on. The scope looked off to me. I kept telling myself it's just the lighting, or the sunshade was throwing shadows somehow ... kept making excuses....until I set it up for sighting..... sob! I was right! it's freakin crooked! ..ahhh the joys