PDA

View Full Version : 3 Reasons why I like my new 7-08 Edge...

Pages : [1] 2

fgw_in_fla
09-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Reason No. 1
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708targets003.jpg

Reason No. 2
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708targets002.jpg

Reason No. 3
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708targets001.jpg

This started it's life with me as a .308 - for about 30 minutes. That's how long it took to get home with it & tear it down. I wanted one of those "sexy sounding" calibers.....
Hmmmmmm..... 7mm-08..... I like it. I feel my blood running already.

My new friend.
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/708project025.jpg
And, yes.... I did modify & play with everything I could to get it to where it's comfortable to me.

Happy shooting.

Frank in Fla

thermaler
09-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Good shootin Frank!

fgw_in_fla
09-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks but, it was the rifle that did it.....

I just stood there & pulled the trigger.

Frank in Fla

thermaler
09-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks but, it was the rifle that did it.....

I just stood there & pulled the trigger.

Frank in FlaI'm sure--that's why everyone is posting their Axis groupings that look like your's : )

PS Take a walk on the wild side and do some 5 shot groupings if ya think it's all rifle ; )

PSS--was that really a standing free-hand grouping?:o

fgw_in_fla
09-26-2012, 07:17 PM
That was off the bipod - no bag on the stock, just my shoulder & left hand steering. I just did that OCW last week with 3 shot tests. This week is 5 or more. I'm interested to see how a warm to hot barrel affects accuracy.

I never would have thought that caliber in an Edge stock, using a sporter barrel would yield groups like it did. AND - The real amusing part is that's my old Barska scope on it. It's still working & going strong. I figure one of these days I'll pull the trigger & the scope will fall off the rifle in pieces. That's the $79 special. Comes complete with a spotting scope.
I'll keep y'all posted.

Frank in Fla

thermaler
09-26-2012, 08:20 PM
That was off the bipod - no bag on the stock, just my shoulder & left hand steering. I just did that OCW last week with 3 shot tests. This week is 5 or more. I'm interested to see how a warm to hot barrel affects accuracy.

I never would have thought that caliber in an Edge stock, using a sporter barrel would yield groups like it did. AND - The real amusing part is that's my old Barska scope on it. It's still working & going strong. I figure one of these days I'll pull the trigger & the scope will fall off the rifle in pieces. That's the $79 special. Comes complete with a spotting scope.
I'll keep y'all posted.

Frank in FlaYou definitely deserve a place in the cheapo hall of fame--I salute you!

devildogandboy
09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Frank, as always excellent shooting. i enjoy your write-ups too. the one about stiffening the edge stock was great. looking forward to reading more!

drybean
09-26-2012, 09:01 PM
plus 1 for Frank

drybean

fgw_in_fla
09-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Mr Bean - how ya be my friend?
I haven't heard from you in a few days. If your ears were ringing on Saturday, you were the topic for a brief discussion when I put on a rather nice shirt with Kennedy Meadows on it.

I almost had the 'lil woman convinced my rich girlfriend from California sent it to me...

She mumbled something about her buying the next rifle or batch of powder or something as she walked away... Woman's got no sense of humor I tell ya.

Frank in FLa

fgw_in_fla
09-26-2012, 09:26 PM
D - Dog --- Thanks. I appreciate y'all enjoying my tech info. Even if it is in "Primitive Pete" fashion.

If anyone has any suggestions on something we all need to deal with on our Axis / Edge rifles, as long as I have a procedure or two for it i'll put one together. I do take much pleasure in make these horrid, cheap, plastic wrapped rifles shoot like a $1200 Remington. It's the Savage OCD way.
No cure, no treatment. Once you contract it, you take to your grave.
Might as well sit back & make the best of it.

Frank in Fla

mjbgalt
09-26-2012, 11:09 PM
wow, nice shooting!

fgw_in_fla
09-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Gracias!.....

Thanks..... I really do like the caliber, too. Minumum recoil as in less than a .270 & uses less powder. Mine seems to favor the 140gr Nosler BT's.

Thanks guys...

Frank in Fla

stomp442
09-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Nice shooting frank. Looks like 39.5 and a nosler is the way to go. Weigh those hornady ssts and you will figure out why they don't shoot as good.

fgw_in_fla
09-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks stomp - I'm not a real big fan of Hornady bullets although I do keep a few boxes around because they are a bit less money. Nosler seems to do best for me but then, those are what I've been using for a while so I'm sorta familiar with them.

The day I shot those I pulled a few shots especially when the guy 3 stations down pulled the trigger on his 458.... I jumped outta my shorts the first time. After that I was able to hold concentration a little better when he shot.

I think just for the heck of it I'll play around with my new RCBS scale & see what kind of spread I find on the hornady & nosler bullets....

Frank in Fla

stomp442
09-27-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't trust anything from hornady in the SST line anymore. The Amax Bullets are top notch but the SSTs weigh out all over the place. When going through a box of 150 grain 308 bullets I had one weigh 138 grains and one weigh as high as 156 grains out of the same box. I bet I had only 5 or 6 weigh out to the same weight right around 149.8 grains. Most of the time they were at least half a grain light or heavy. You won't find that with a sierra or Berger bullet not sure on the noslers.

mattm0812
09-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks stomp - I'm not a real big fan of Hornady bullets although I do keep a few boxes around because they are a bit less money. Nosler seems to do best for me but then, those are what I've been using for a while so I'm sorta familiar with them.

The day I shot those I pulled a few shots especially when the guy 3 stations down pulled the trigger on his 458.... I jumped outta my shorts the first time. After that I was able to hold concentration a little better when he shot.

I think just for the heck of it I'll play around with my new RCBS scale & see what kind of spread I find on the hornady & nosler bullets....

Frank in Fla

Are we goin to the range this sunday? Most likely since we go every sunday... if so, I'll bring the money for the book and dies. I'll probably just pick up a box at the range and shoot that..

Still don't know which brass I should settle on...

fgw_in_fla
09-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Weather pending....

I may have to stop by my Dr.'s office on sunday. Yes, I do have a dr. that's open on sunday (money hungry scumbag...)

I can do that later in the afternoon.

mattm0812
09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Weather pending....

I may have to stop by my Dr.'s office on sunday. Yes, I do have a dr. that's open on sunday (money hungry scumbag...)

I can do that later in the afternoon.

Yeah I can stay until about one o'clock ( unless we're having some kind of mysterious miracle with the rifles) because I have some things to get done at work.

drybean
09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;139490]Mr Bean - how ya be my friend?
I haven't heard from you in a few days. If your ears were ringing on Saturday, you were the topic for a brief discussion when I put on a rather nice shirt with Kennedy Meadows on it.

I almost had the 'lil woman convinced my rich girlfriend from California sent it to me...

She mumbled something about her buying the next rifle or batch of powder or something as she walked away... Woman's got no sense of humor I tell ya.

thanks Frank,guess i can cancel the trip to the sawbone,now that my ears are ok
wish i had a way

to post pics of my axis & my other savages
how does it feel to be a plublished writer
it always fun to read your posts

drybean

mattm0812
09-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm sure Frank has been telling his wife that SS is giving him money for his article, so he has an excuse to spend more money haha.