PDA

View Full Version : Axis .223 custom stock idea.

Pages : [1] 2

Elteyr
09-24-2012, 04:12 PM
:frusty: Ok. So as we all know, the axis is fantastically accurate. and overall a good weapon. HOWEVER the stocks are..... well crap. and its not a matter of if. but when, they are going to fail.

well, I ordered this stock: http://www.rifle-stocks.com/tactical.htm , and they said the only issue with fitting the axis to the stock would be the floor plate. now I don't plan on using the same magazine anyhow.

:biggrin-new:Now the question I have for the forum is:
I would like to use a AR-15 style mag catch so that I could use 20rnd AR-15 Magazines... thoughts?

RSG
09-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I did not take any pics (sorry) but I did use a Ruger mini-15 20 round mag in a stock. I made the latch somethat the same as the detachable mag trigger guard in midway catalog. The mag only mod was to remove the rised slide hold latch on the mag follower. Hope this will help.
RSG

Elteyr
09-24-2012, 04:54 PM
That sounds very intriguing! do you mind posting a few pics of the mod? I'd love to see what you did.

:)

bobfortier
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
What is your plan regarding the recoil lug ? Is this stock inletted or not ?

fla9-40
09-24-2012, 07:48 PM
:frusty: Ok. So as we all know, the axis is fantastically accurate. and overall a good weapon. HOWEVER the stocks are..... well crap. and its not a matter of if. but when, they are going to fail.

well, I ordered this stock: http://www.rifle-stocks.com/tactical.htm , and they said the only issue with fitting the axis to the stock would be the floor plate. now I don't plan on using the same magazine anyhow.

I'm in the same boat as you, I just want a better stock and do not care about the mag...I plan on single feeding it anyway.

Please let me know when you get it and didl it actually fit an AXIS!

Also did you call and ask if it would fit, or email? Either way can I have your contact person?

Thanks!

Elteyr
09-24-2012, 09:43 PM
What is your plan regarding the recoil lug ? Is this stock inletted or not ?

The only thing that the stocks are fit for are the barrels. all the other wood work, I would have to do myself.

Admin
09-24-2012, 09:43 PM

:biggrin-new:Now the question I have for the forum is:
I would like to use a AR-15 style mag catch so that I could use 20rnd AR-15 Magazines... thoughts?

Boy are you in for a few surprises when that stock shows up. :pop2:

Elteyr
09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I just want a better stock and do not care about the mag...I plan on single feeding it anyway.
Please let me know when you get it and didl it actually fit an AXIS!
Also did you call and ask if it would fit, or email? Either way can I have your contact person?
Thanks!

I did email them, and they said that the only issue would be the floor plate. sense I don't need one, because i'm going to mod it to use an AR-15 mag system, that is a non-issue. Otherwise it should fit! it may need some sanding, and it will need wholes cut for the trigger (and magazine for mine). But the great thing about a wooden stock, is that you can customize it to fit!

As far as my contact info, I'll tell ya what... When I get it in, i'll post some pictures of the work in progress and then the final product. If you're still interested, then you can PM me and I'll send you my info. :D

sharpshooter
09-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Floorplate????? Didn't know the Axis had a floorplate.

Elteyr
09-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Floorplate????? Didn't know the Axis had a floorplate.

according to the research that i've done, technically your right.... and wrong. the axis has whats called a drop-box magazine, which traditionally uses, that type of floorplate, but! it also has a synthetic stock, which means that they "floorplate" isn't an actual plate, but is built right in to the stock itself.

fgw_in_fla
09-25-2012, 05:34 AM
I had to take a couple Tylenol after reading that....

I'm not one for telling another what to do , let alone how to do it but....

Take a closer look at how you plan on fitting up this new stock you're buying.

Just 5c worth of free advice from your 'ol uncle frank....

Elteyr
09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I had to take a couple Tylenol after reading that....
I'm not one for telling another what to do , let alone how to do it but....
Take a closer look at how you plan on fitting up this new stock you're buying.
Just 5c worth of free advice from your 'ol uncle frank....

I am not quite understanding what your talking about. I don't mind you giving me a few pointers, anything that could help would be great!

Elteyr
09-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Boy are you in for a few surprises when that stock shows up. :pop2:

Ok... i'm in for a few surpises..... such as? I posted this so that I could get some help with this, so that I could tackle this project with some knowledge. I know I don't know everything, and I am open to suggestions. I know this stock will not be a simple "plug and play", that it will take alot of work. But! I believe it can be done.

So! that being said, if you know something, that I don't, would you mind sharing? So that I don't waste my money? or so that I can troubleshoot the issue and find solutions? I thought thats what group thinking was all about?

RSG
09-25-2012, 06:52 PM
OK I will play nice,
I will start with the ar15 mag. The mag needs a side type latch. I would go for a mag like on the m1a/m14, mini-14 it has a the block in the back that you can use with a lever and a tight fit made in the stock.
The stock, well I have seen RMF stock and not so happy people. Look at or search the forum. I would not start a stock made backwards again. It is a pain to inlet the stock with the outside all round and angles to try to clamp and hold to. I start my stocks by inletting the action start, square sides and bottom is your friend.
You will need a trigger guard too. The RMF will not come with it. If you are going to make it add the latch for the mag (back to the mini-14 mag)
The people here are helpful, but have seen this before.
RSG

fla9-40
09-25-2012, 07:46 PM
WOW first off like the new look of the forum!!!!:cool:

Elteyr if you need a Mini-14 mag, I have one you can borrow to see if it is what you need.... Just let me know

Gmac5
09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
FIRST ,GET SOME GOOD CARVING TOOLS ,CHISELS , AS MANY DIF SHAPES AS YOU CAN AFFORD. LEARN HOW TO SHARPEN THEM. SHARP PENCILS TOO, LAY ORIGINAL STOCK NEXT TO NEW WOOD , TRY TO MARK OUTLINE OF ORIG INLETTING. MAKING A CARDBOARD CUTOUT AND FITTING TO ORIG STOCKAS YOU GO . MAKE MANY MEASUREMENTS.the action screws and trigger in relation to the pistol grip area areof MAJOR IMPORTANCE to proper fit.this is just a little bit of what youre in for. GLAD TO SEE your willing to tackle it.
IF YOUR THOUGHT WAS TO USE A ROTARY TOOL , TRY A ROUTER TABLE FIRST AND ONLY FOR THE BARREL CHANNEL. YOUR STARTING OUT WITH A DISADVANTAGE BY USING A SHAPED STOCK ,HAVING FLAT SQUARE SURFACES DOES MAKE IT A LOT EASIER . GOOD LUCK ,GET PLENTY OF BAND AIDS
GARY

Elteyr
09-25-2012, 08:45 PM
OK I will play nice,
I will start with the ar15 mag. The mag needs a side type latch. I would go for a mag like on the m1a/m14, mini-14 it has a the block in the back that you can use with a lever and a tight fit made in the stock.
The stock, well I have seen RMF stock and not so happy people. Look at or search the forum. I would not start a stock made backwards again. It is a pain to inlet the stock with the outside all round and angles to try to clamp and hold to. I start my stocks by inletting the action start, square sides and bottom is your friend.
You will need a trigger guard too. The RMF will not come with it. If you are going to make it add the latch for the mag (back to the mini-14 mag)
The people here are helpful, but have seen this before.
RSG

Thank you for your input! its given me alot to think about! I've not considered a mini 14 mag.... that seems a lot easier to me. Thanks!

Elteyr
09-25-2012, 08:54 PM
WOW first off like the new look of the forum!!!!:cool:

Elteyr if you need a Mini-14 mag, I have one you can borrow to see if it is what you need.... Just let me know

I would love to borrow a mini-14 mag! thank you I will pm you!

Elteyr
09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
FIRST ,GET SOME GOOD CARVING TOOLS ,CHISELS , AS MANY DIF SHAPES AS YOU CAN AFFORD. LEARN HOW TO SHARPEN THEM. SHARP PENCILS TOO, LAY ORIGINAL STOCK NEXT TO NEW WOOD , TRY TO MARK OUTLINE OF ORIG INLETTING. MAKING A CARDBOARD CUTOUT AND FITTING TO ORIG STOCKAS YOU GO . MAKE MANY MEASUREMENTS.the action screws and trigger in relation to the pistol grip area areof MAJOR IMPORTANCE to proper fit.this is just a little bit of what youre in for. GLAD TO SEE your willing to tackle it.
IF YOUR THOUGHT WAS TO USE A ROTARY TOOL , TRY A ROUTER TABLE FIRST AND ONLY FOR THE BARREL CHANNEL. YOUR STARTING OUT WITH A DISADVANTAGE BY USING A SHAPED STOCK ,HAVING FLAT SQUARE SURFACES DOES MAKE IT A LOT EASIER . GOOD LUCK ,GET PLENTY OF BAND AIDS
GARY

After reading this, I could definitely see where in lies the issues starting off with a pre-made stock. Thank you for your input! and band aides are a definite must.

Admin
09-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Ok... i'm in for a few surpises..... such as? I posted this so that I could get some help with this, so that I could tackle this project with some knowledge. I know I don't know everything, and I am open to suggestions. I know this stock will not be a simple "plug and play", that it will take alot of work. But! I believe it can be done.

So! that being said, if you know something, that I don't, would you mind sharing? So that I don't waste my money? or so that I can troubleshoot the issue and find solutions? I thought thats what group thinking was all about?

For starters, the Richard's "Drunken Beaver" stocks are pretty much garbage IMO. You'll wait 6-8-10 months to get it, the exterior surfaces will be rougher than a cob with tons of excess material that needs sanded/ground off, the inletting will need to be opened up to properly fit your barreled action, and well...they're just junk.

Also, as I pointed out in the other post the Savage bolt head and AR magazine are not compatible...period. However, as a few others have noted a M1a/M14 or Mini-14 magazine is doable and has been done more than a few times on the 10/110 rifles.