PDA

View Full Version : Axis .223 custom stock idea.

Pages : 1 [2]

Elteyr
09-26-2012, 03:09 AM
For starters, the Richard's "Drunken Beaver" stocks are pretty much garbage IMO. You'll wait 6-8-10 months to get it, the exterior surfaces will be rougher than a cob with tons of excess material that needs sanded/ground off, the inletting will need to be opened up to properly fit your barreled action, and well...they're just junk.

Also, as I pointed out in the other post the Savage bolt head and AR magazine are not compatible...period. However, as a few others have noted a M1a/M14 or Mini-14 magazine is doable and has been done more than a few times on the 10/110 rifles.

Hey thanks man! I've not heard that about those stocks... hmmmm.... and m14 mag sounds like the way to go. Looks like I'm going to need to make my own stock from scratch. Hmmmm... I guess it may take longer but I think I'll be happier with the end result. Thanks for the heads up before I finalized the order to that guy.

As for the AR-15 mag, I thought it would have been compatible however I'll take your word for it that its not, i'm not married to the idea.

Thanks for your input! Time to go look online for a place to buy some walnut!

Elteyr
10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
I got my Walnut in the mail the today! AND!!!! I got in the borrowed m14 mag. Now to get to work! I'll post pics when I can!

fla9-40
10-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I got my Walnut in the mail the today! AND!!!! I got in the borrowed m14 mag. Now to get to work! I'll post pics when I can!

Hurry up with the pic's... can't wait to see how it worked out for ya! ;)

Gmac5
10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Which stock ? The unshaped blank from boyds or other , just curious , Ill be doing a how to on stocks ,from 4 x8 birch ply from home depot as soon as my video savy friend Paul , and i could get some time. Good luck and measure twice .
Gary

fla9-40
10-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Hey Elteyr, how did this work out for ya?

mdewitt71
03-15-2013, 09:13 PM
I take it didn't work out??????

stingray
03-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Just picked up on this post while surfing the forum. I ordered a blank thumbhole stock (no inletting done) from Boyd's to work up a stock for my Axis .223 early last Fall. After receiving the stock, and admitting to myself I may have bit off more than I was capable of handling, I lined up what I called primitive inletting tools (mallet, chisels, deep well 3/8" drive sockets for barrel inlet, and various grades of sandpaper) I proceeded to work on my stock. After working on the stock for about a month a friend loaned me a rotary tool he uses for wood carving. A must for the project. I have gotten close to a good fit, but still needs some a lot of work. I feel for my skill level, and the level of tools I have, so far things look pretty good. I will forget inletting for a magazine well. Shooting single shot is no problem. Winter set in, and the basement got too cold to work in for any length of time. Besides, I needed a break from the project. Will continue in the Spring which seems to be coming late here in Western NC.

Bottom line is that I would not attempt this again without better tools and some guidance. The cuts and angles of the Axis action present a challenge that are not encountered with other actions, and make it difficult to inlet. It would be great if there was some published info with templates to aid with inletting.

Good luck on your project.