PDA

View Full Version : rock creek pre fits

Pages : [1] 2 3

va78
09-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Alot of people are asuming the rock creek prefits are there awsome cut rifled barrels. the prefits are button rifled.

va78
09-17-2012, 09:24 PM
You have to request the cut rifled from rock creek as i did and they are superb barrels.

birddogsx3
09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
What was the turn around time on them are they stocking them?

MDM
09-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Yes, any info on them moving forward with their prefits? They were supposed to offer both cut and button rifled versions early in the summer, but I've not heard that they started doing this.

Captramrod01
09-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Also interested in any additional info on this.

va78
09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
From what i gathered when i ordered mine. they did not have a bunch in hand. They did have the .284 I ordered. Getting there cut rifled is worth the extra wait. Im not a fan of prefits because of reasons i wont get into. but rock creek is a much more reputable barrel maker than criterion and others like them. I know criterion is a sister company of kreiger but it would be unwise to consider them as equals. That is my opinion. If your trying to win matches i would pay the extra money and get a good pipe from bartlien, kreiger, rock creek ect ect. And have a reputable smith chamber it for you. If your just punching paper for the hell of it or hunting the prefit is more than enough. I know quit a few smiths that are personal friends that would never put a prefit on there rigs. I do understand if your.strapped for.cash the prefit is a sweet deal for the money. I have nothing against someone wanting a better barrel because the stockers are junk

Captramrod01
09-19-2012, 04:03 AM
I would be careful writing off prefits. I will say its a bit more of a gamble then buying a blank and having a good smith chamber it up for you but most of the time I haven't seen a difference. I have full custom remmys and pieced together savages and sure, the remmys feel a hell of a lot smoother, easier bolt lift etc. but more accurate? nah. Maybe I got lucky with my CBI being as accurate as my Brux though...

Also if your reaaally serious about winning some matches you're probably already running a surgeon/bighorn/stiller/defiance etc with a custom tube so this is a moot point anyways.

helotaxi
09-25-2012, 03:44 PM
And a 'smith wouldn't need to run a prefit on his own rifle because he can cut the chamber exactly the way he wants it from the getgo. If a I had a barrel lathe and the knowhow to use it I certainly wouldn't bother with a prefit.

Admin
09-26-2012, 02:30 AM
That is my opinion. If your trying to win matches i would pay the extra money and get a good pipe from bartlien, kreiger, rock creek ect ect.

So in other words, you're saying if it's not a cut rifled barrel it's a POS? To each their own, but I sure do see a lot of button rifled barrels winning match and match after match in various circles each and every weekend.

tobnpr
10-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Yep...
There is NO "best" way to rifle a barrel. What's important is precision in the process, and stress-relief of the barrel steel.
Cut rifling, Button rifling, AND Hammer forging can all result in high-quality barrels.

Try telling SAKO that hammer-forging sucks...

Too much "my opinion is fact" in cyberspace...

Bradley Walker
10-09-2012, 01:45 PM
OK. I decided I am going to run a head to head against my 6BR 40x that was trued and chambered by S and S Precision with a Kreiger 1-8 twist 6BR with my Remmy 700 that I built myself with a Criterion Pre fit 1-8 6BR using the Remmage barrel nut system.

va78
10-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I said nothing about cut rifled being superior to button rifled.. I personally use Broughton on my Accuracy International..And rock creek on the rest... I said that the Rock Creek prefit wasn't a cut rifled because many people assumed by ordering a prefit from them they would be getting the cut rifled barrel....This got takin way out of context. Last time I checked we can all have opinion's. A premium barrel that is prefit is much much better than the crap that is on factory " by factory I mean Remington, winchester, ruger, and savage" You can still get acceptable accuracy out of a factory barrel, but acceptable is not good enough for me at all. What I was simply saying, if you have the money, a barrel that is threaded and chambered by a competent smith " like G.A Precision, Short Action Customs, L.A Precision, Sid Goodling etc etc" I would go that route before I put a prefit on any of my action's.. But again if you can not afford to go that route than have a prefit put on your action is absolutely fine.. It's much better than the factory pipe by far. But to end all of this the original post was just to clarify that the Rock Creek prefit is button rifled unless you request a prefit with one of there cut rifled barrels...That's all... so now I'm ready for the ass chewing from whomever disagrees.......

nsaqam
10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
No chewing from me VA.

I agree with everything you said above.

Especially the part about a quality custom tube chambered by a great gunsmith being preferable to any prefit.

va78
10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
and yes CAPTRAMROD, I use Surgeon action's.. Bighorn's are very sweet as well, they use the floating bolt head. I chose surgeon years ago first and foremost they are 110% reliable in the field. Very high quality, I Love the bottom metal they have and they support our military. Alot of snipers and marksman in the service use surgeon. They have served me well over the years and also the customer service is awesome as well.

va78
10-09-2012, 07:15 PM
I have 3 more broughton barrel's on the way. As many people know broughton are freakishly good button rifled barrels. I really dont care if it's button or cut rifled.. It's the quality smithing and range time and trigger control that is most important. Not the process by which these barrels are made.......that's all I have to say..:closed_2:

Luckus
10-31-2012, 09:10 AM
I have bought three custom barrels over the years, two on sporters and one on a 12ftr. I'm happy with all of them, but the Rock Creek on my 12 ftr in 6 Dasher is a superb shooting rifle. But I also think Randy Gregory's work to install it is a good part of the equation. Luckus

Nor Cal Mikie
10-31-2012, 12:33 PM
IMHO, the only "disadvantage" of getting a prefit barrel is you're limited to how it's chambered. If it's chambered (throated) to shoot heavy bullets and shoots great, as the throat wears, you can't keep shooting the weight bullets you started off with and you may not get the same groups/accuracy that made you smile like when it was new.
Chambering/short throating to a dummy round gives you the advantage of being able to jam to the lands and still have a bunch of bullet/neck contact.
Long throat means you can only go one way with bullet seating and still jam to the lands. Pretty soon the bullets are just barely sticking in the case neck.
Go short throat and you can chase the lands. In the long run, custom chambers are the way to go. And 100 to 200+ and more rounds fired comes on real fast.
Your first prefit barrel may shoot like a dream but it won't be too long before you'll be wishing you had a shorter throat chamber. Plan ahead.

Willoughby
10-31-2012, 02:04 PM
is there such a thing as a short throat prefit ?
just curious
my factory junk barrels shoot .5 moa & better
any thing better would be a waste for me
I'M not a professional shooter
just killin cardboard & hunting & such
I load to lands
in factory mags-in all but my 300wm -I had to mod the mag to reach the lands
so are factory barrels considered short throated?
or does short throated mean under factory coal ?

helotaxi
11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Just because it's a prefit doesn't mean that it can't be a custom chambered barrel. Nice thing about a Savage is that the chamber and headspace are mostly independent. And you can have a short chamber cut to match a certain bullet by any smith that will do it. It just will be a special order instead of "off the rack".

guhunter
11-27-2012, 05:29 AM
I have a question for all those who have their barrels gunsmith installed (or self installed) without a barrel nut. Why Savage? It seems to me that the big appeal of the savage "system" is that it is easy to work on at home (and consequently cheaper). If I were paying to have a barrel installed with a traditional shoulder, I personally prefer the feel of a Rem or winchester action and it seems that that is a fairly common preference. I have more savages than any other manufacturer but the appeal for me is the home "gun smithing." So, why Savage?