PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, got my Axis a few days ago.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Richard Giguere
09-15-2012, 09:58 PM
and with the help of some old pros at the firing range, I got it cited in with the scope that came with it. No issues other than the bolt being a bit stiff upon opening and closing it. I can only assume that in time that will loosen up a bit. The trigger is quite a bit heavy, so I went ahead and ordered a softer trigger from "Rifle Basics". Should be receiving it in a few days and I will post my findings once I install it and use it.
Dick

fgw_in_fla
09-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Lots 'o luck with it. What caliber? I try not to buy anything if I don't need to. A little minor surgery on the trigger spring & it became a whole different rifle. One of the Edge's I bought at a pawn shop had a trigger so hard to pull, I got a callous on my finger from it...

Welcome aboard.

Frank in Fla

mattm0812
09-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Reinforce the **** out of the stock.

Jayne Cobb
09-16-2012, 01:08 AM
I found the trigger on my .308 version REALLY heavy but after a while I got used to it. There are a couple of videos on YouTube that go through how to lighten the trigger and I might try it at some point. OH! And Welcome to the Forum!

thermaler
09-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Welcome to the home production line. : ) I know tons of people do it--but I'd be nervous about messing with the stock trigger--most of the stock package is pretty rinky-dink flimsy and I just don't have any confidence the gun might not let one fly accidentally.

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 03:20 PM
advice is cheap, and just what facts or experince regarding this rifle do you base your worthless information. "The facts, just the facts"
Reinforce the **** out of the stock.

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
I am quite accostomed to the trigger now that I softened it up a little. Thanks for the welcome to the forum...
Dick

mattm0812
10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
advice is cheap, and just what facts or experince regarding this rifle do you base your worthless information. "The facts, just the facts"

If you were a paid member, you could see a step by step article on how to.

Since I notice that you need your hand held.

Tempest
10-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes, reinforcing the stock makes a world of difference. I filled the rear of the stock w/ Great Stuff urethane foam and the forward party with steel rods and epoxy.

That and a Timney trigger, it's an extremely accurate rifle.

fla9-40
10-04-2012, 05:04 PM

WOW!!!

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Look at your first message, if your going to offer an opinion, then you should offer something objective as to solving the issue. In fact I dont find it to be an issue, so therefore your opinion is really worthless to me.

fgw_in_fla
10-04-2012, 07:32 PM
I see matt's trying to make friends again.

So Rich, you never did tell us / me what caliber you got. For a cheapo rifle I've grown quite fond of them to the point where I'm looking to pick up another one.

I just scored a pretty good deal on another .243 barrel & I'd like to use an Edge for the foundation. They will shoot with a little TLC. Or maybe it's a little E, SR & T... (that's Epoxy, Steel Rods & Trimming)

Good luck with it.

Frank in Fla

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 09:29 PM
You are absolutely correct. I did mess with the spring on the trigger, and yes a couple of times "one did fly without my permission". I would strongly not advise cutting the spring as I did. However I did install the new trigger assembly from RIFLE BASICS. It works fine, and I am happy with it. On another note, I think the customer service from RIFLE BASICS leaves much to be desired. After 2 emails and three phone calls still waiting to hear from them.

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Well my first Savage was an Axis 223 cal. I am absolutely delighted with it. I have since then purchased another Savage and that one is the MKII. I also am very happy with that rifle as well. It has the ACU TRIGGER and I adjusted it to my liking, and I have no argument with the rifle whatsover. HOwever, keep in mind I am a new shooter, and do not always know just how subjective I should be regarding the rifle.

fgw_in_fla
10-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Well ya know, if you're a new shooter this is definitely the rifle for you. After several months of shooting & tinkering with an Axis or an Edge you'll really appreciate a newer, better model.
My 25.05 Edge is very comfortable, fits my arm & shoulder & has remarkable accuracy. The hand grip is too small & the distance from the grip to the trigger is too short for my mitts, but I've learned to live with it.
A couple 20 or 30 rounds later and I pick up my .243 or .270 - 110 model - & it's a whole 'nother world. Quite the difference in the way they feel. I believe the way a rifle fits & feels will affect your shooting.
So after you've worn that one out, what's your next move?...

Frank in FLa

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Frank, not to sure what the next move is. I am very fortunate in that my wife has no argument in what I spend on rifles etc. So for now I will l just keep shooting and plinking and enjoying the two rifles. I did buy a Nikon scope (.22lr) I am also very pleased with that scope. I have not shot any firearms since my time in the Military some 42 years ago, having served 2 consecutive terms in Vietnam.
D.

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Matt, so I take it that you had all of the answers when you first got into shooting. Now I am envious of you, it is wonderfull to meet someone as knowledgeable as yourself. I am astounded in the fact that you apparently had no learning curve. BTW I have joined and paid, I hope soon to be as informed as you are. TY

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Tempest how do I get more info on re-inforcing this stock. Can you direct me to that info I would appreicate it.

MaDa
10-04-2012, 11:02 PM
1st and foremost thank you for your service for our country Richard.

Matt, so I take it that you had all of the answers when you first got into shooting. Now I am envious of you, it is wonderfull to meet someone as knowledgeable as yourself. I am astounded in the fact that you apparently had no learning curve. BTW I have joined and paid, I hope soon to be as informed as you are. TY

Generally speaking I'm a fan of your initial reply, 'the facts just the facts, opinions are cheap'. Just throwing it out there. There seems to be more negative press than is really due for the axis/edge. It appears to be a solid entry level rifle, and have some areas for improvement like every other rifle on the market.

That being said, We try to keep the peeing wars to a minimum, and there are multple members here with alot of information to share.

And heres a link you might like. http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?170-Axis-Stock-Modifications

Richard Giguere
10-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I totaly agree with you MaDa. My objective was simply this. If you have an issue with a peice of equipment, dont just throw out your opinion out there. Rather, explain where the answer can be found. Being a newbie here I was looking for help. I have since become a paid up member and have researched reinforcing the stock. Thank you for your input, and I will in the future keep from inflaming a situation. Constructive criticism is always welcomed here, regards.