PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, got my Axis a few days ago.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

MaDa
10-07-2012, 08:15 PM
hijack: local place has new axis in .223, .22-250, .270, .308, .30-06 in stock for $277.00 . hard to not buy one for that price. I've got multiple new guns that I have owned for over a year that have never had the trigger pulled on a loaded round... I can't see myself buying a new one in this case. If I do it'll probably be another .223 or a .270. If they had a .243 I would buy it. No dice though...

Jayne Cobb
10-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Ya know Rich, I consider my range time sacred. I spend all day Sunday & I try to get there on Saturdays as well if schedule permits. Men with guns, shooting guns, talking about guns is a sacred ritual. It should be taken seriously & enjoyed to the fullest.

Frank in Fla

Thaks for the bipod info an dI couldn't agree more about range time. The rare occasions I get to go I thoroughly enjoy. I don't even take friends anymore since I just want to be selfish and not share my range time with anyone else....lol

fgw_in_fla
10-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Jayne - ya gotta do what ya gotta do....

Don't think of it as selfish.... Look at it like its a moment of solitude. Time spent alone doing what you enjoy. A man needs a little time to himself after a long hard work week..

Frank in Fla

Richard Giguere
10-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Jayne I agree with Frank, the solitude is great and the friends we make at the range is also priceless. On another note, lookind down here at "posting permissions" the image code is on however, it says I may not post attachements. Obviously something else I need to turn on.

thomae
10-08-2012, 09:35 AM
First click the "Go Advanced" button below your editing window.
Then go to the top of the editing window and click the "insert image" icon (run your cursor over the icons to show their name/function) and then insert the link to the displayed photo in the appropriate space in the pop-up.
Then "preview post" to see if it actually displays.

fgw_in_fla
10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Thomae - At least somone here know about these newfangled contraptions..... I remain technologically challenged. I guess I just don't have "the touch" required for figuing out all the gadgets & such.
I tried to explain to him how to get a picture up but & may have confused him more than anything.
Thanks thomae...

Frank in Fla.

Richard Giguere
10-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Went to the range yesterday, I practiced for awhile and a friend then gave me some "good reloads of his". This target was setup at 100 yards. I know I need alot more range time. It sure was alot of fun however.http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y399/frenchyx2/Img_9403_zps40413288.jpg

pheasant16
10-10-2012, 08:51 AM
If it's any consolation I'd be tickled pink with any of the above! Figure minute of "deer" is about 6". I personally have come to detest range shooting because of several range "Nazis" that ruined the experience. If the 2 liter pop bottle goes boom with the first shot that's it for me. Outta there. Haven't hit a paper target in 10+ years. (Course the dog rifle gets used heavily all summer, and the deer rifle has the same trigger, so one feels like the other. Long as the scope isn't off, good enough for me.)

PS: Always think I should take a paper target with, but it might jinx me. LOL!!!

Richard Giguere
10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Good morning Pheasant, well I am not a hunter not that I have any issues with folk who do. My aim is to shoot a group where all three holes are touching each other. Competion, well just competion with myself. I have come to really enjoy shooting in the 3 weeks or so I ahve been doing this. In a certain sort of strange way it is my "quiet time". I really like the fact that I have met some real nice guys at the range, very helpfull bunch.
I have not run into of those NAZIS at the range I shoot at. It seems to be a pretty well disciplined bunch of guys. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. My wife who is a Psychiatric Nurse keeps reminding me that I am OCD and that is the reason for my afflictions with perfection, which I never achieve (see I really am not OCD).

If it's any consolation I'd be tickled pink with any of the above! Figure minute of "deer" is about 6". I personally have come to detest range shooting because of several range "Nazis" that ruined the experience. If the 2 liter pop bottle goes boom with the first shot that's it for me. Outta there. Haven't hit a paper target in 10+ years. (Course the dog rifle gets used heavily all summer, and the deer rifle has the same trigger, so one feels like the other. Long as the scope isn't off, good enough for me.)

PS: Always think I should take a paper target with, but it might jinx me. LOL!!!

pheasant16
10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
My wife who is a Psychiatric Nurse keeps reminding me that I am OCD and that is the reason for my afflictions with perfection, which I never achieve (see I really am not OCD).

So's mine! If you REALLY want to tinker; get into reloading. The quest for perfection in this arena has so many variables it will never be reached. I've got many many many cans of powder and boxes of bullets just waiting for use. Once you find one you like; the rest collect dust. You "might" need it someday; so it never does get used. LOL!!!!! Oh, and don't forget the 3 sets of dies for each caliber as Reddings are better than RCBS, are better than Lee,..... it never ends.

Richard Giguere
10-10-2012, 10:26 AM
So's mine! If you REALLY want to tinker; get into reloading. The quest for perfection in this arena has so many variables it will never be reached. I've got many many many cans of powder and boxes of bullets just waiting for use. Once you find one you like; the rest collect dust. You "might" need it someday; so it never does get used. LOL!!!!! Oh, and don't forget the 3 sets of dies for each caliber as Reddings are better than RCBS, are better than Lee,..... it never ends.

Strange you mention this. I have been having the inkling for re loading. My friend I met at the range ( a real savy old timer) said I should just watch for some good used equipment. If needed I could buy some good dies for it. I have a very nice shop area where I could reload and again find my quiet time LOL.

pheasant16
10-10-2012, 11:12 AM
. I have a very nice shop area where I could reload and again find my quiet time LOL.

Precisely why I do it also.

fgw_in_fla
10-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Rich - Natchez & Midway sell a Lee reloading kit with a press, powder measure, scale, odds & ends, etc. Just add a set of dies, powder & a box of primers & you off to the races with the rest of us OCD patients.

The Lee kit I mention is about 100 bucks & will have you relaoding for a good long time to come.

Now, far be it from me to be an "enabler".... But as a rule I'll always do whatever I'm capable of to help a fellow Savage Shooter & OCD Reloader.

As far as which dies are "best"? It's the dies that are affordable, easy to use, last a long time & have a good warranty. I've been using Lee stuff for a number of years & have no trouble concocting a load for every occasion. Especially the occasion of sending 5 downrange & thru the same hole. Occasionally.

Glad to know you're doing good with the Axis.....
Enjoy.

Frank in Fla

Richard Giguere
10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the onfo Frank. I did check out those two websites. Natchez, well their site did not want to open for me. Midway seems to be a pretty good place to shop, I will look at it again later when I have more time. I also need to do more research on the reloading thing.

thomae
10-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Richard, take a look at this classified.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18246-Lee-turret-press-and-other-equipment

Richard Giguere
10-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the headsup, going to try and get in touch with him via email.

mattm0812
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
For reloading rifle, you really don't need the turret press above...Unless you're reloading pistol.

The kit Frank mentioned is what I have also and it work's perfectly. Don't be fooled by how cheap it is, it will work just fine. You only need to switch between one or two dies so it's not like you're constantly switching out dies to reload one round. It's always better to take your time than to to blow through em...You'll learn the hard way like I did..

fgw_in_fla
10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
And don' t worry matt....

I won't mention anything about the missing primer. The one where the powder was falling out the bottom of the case... That one. It's just between you & me....

Frank in Fla

mattm0812
10-12-2012, 01:32 PM
And don' t worry matt....

I won't mention anything about the missing primer. The one where the powder was falling out the bottom of the case... That one. It's just between you & me....

Frank in Fla

Haha you bastard..

I put a primer in it so let's see what happens on sunday...lol.

fgw_in_fla
10-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I hope there's enough powder left to shove the bullet out the barrel....
Bring it over when you gotta chance. I have a collet puller. Recycle the parts.