PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage--tried an Axis, big mistake!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

thermaler
09-08-2012, 12:24 PM
I just picked up the savage from the pawn shop this morning and the scope on it currently is a joke. I was thinking getting a nikon in the 300-50 dollar range. Your thoughts?My 2 cents--and I hasten to add that I'm no expert in scopes since I haven't tried a lot of different ones--is that you can't go wrong with a Nikon--and their spot-on program, custom turrets, zero resets etc make them a huge value for relative beginners like me. In your price range you can actually get some of their better/best scopes, so it's only a matter of figuring out what you want to use it for. I've got a Monarch, slughunter, buckmaster and P 223 and they all work great for me. On my Axis 270 I just got a buckmaster 6 x 18 x 40 with side focus from Midway USA--it's on sale for 324.00 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123107/nikon-buckmasters-rifle-scope-6-18x-40mm-side-focus-mil-dot-reticle-matte) and it's really nice to have a scope that you won't need a spotter scope to see where your shots land inside 200 yds. : ) I don't really want to spend any more than $300.00 or so dollars on a scope for my Axis--that violates the "sacred code of the cheapo." : )

mattm0812
09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
My 2 cents--and I hasten to add that I'm no expert in scopes since I haven't tried a lot of different ones--is that you can't go wrong with a Nikon--and their spot-on program, custom turrets, zero resets etc make them a huge value for relative beginners like me. In your price range you can actually get some of their better/best scopes, so it's only a matter of figuring out what you want to use it for. I've got a Monarch, slughunter, buckmaster and P 223 and they all work great for me. On my Axis 270 I just got a buckmaster 6 x 18 x 40 with side focus from Midway USA--it's on sale for 324.00 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123107/nikon-buckmasters-rifle-scope-6-18x-40mm-side-focus-mil-dot-reticle-matte) and it's really nice to have a scope that you won't need a spotter scope to see where your shots land inside 200 yds. : ) I don't really want to spend any more than $300.00 or so dollars on a scope for my Axis--that violates the "sacred code of the cheapo." : )

Yeah I was thinking of that same scope.

fgw_in_fla
09-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Matt - Don't be a potato head. buy good glass

Check out Natchez. They're running a Nikon thing with rebates & discounts. OR.... Try Walfart where I got my Nikon. You might score a good deal there.

Ya know Therm, we're birds of a feather. I love it when I shoot next to a wanna be BR shooter & he's telling me about all the things my Edge or 110 doesn't have.

And then I shoot a round thru his scattered group. Or I see him checking out my target when he's fixin his up down on the target line.

There is something almost unethical about shooting one hole 5 round groups with a $200 rifle.

I love it.

Frank in Fla

mattm0812
09-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Matt - Don't be a potato head. buy good glass

Check out Natchez. They're running a Nikon thing with rebates & discounts. OR.... Try Walfart where I got my Nikon. You might score a good deal there.

Ya know Therm, we're birds of a feather. I love it when I shoot next to a wanna be BR shooter & he's telling me about all the things my Edge or 110 doesn't have.

And then I shoot a round thru his scattered group. Or I see him checking out my target when he's fixin his up down on the target line.

There is something almost unethical about shooting one hole 5 round groups with a $200 rifle.

I love it.

Frank in Fla

Haha Nikon buckmasters are good glass!

And tomorrow if we do go shooting, it's going to be a nightmare with this scope on the 110...

thermaler
09-08-2012, 04:59 PM
My biggest beef with Barska is that it's made-in-China "stuff" and if it flies south, you are toast. I bought their biometric rifle fingerprint safe and it arrived totally screwed up--had painted over rust blisters and the print scanner ceased working after a few days. A repair or replacement required boxing and shipping at my expense--which amounted to about as much as the piece of junk costs. There's always a gamble when doing the dance with cheapo.

fgw_in_fla
09-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't care how you slice it or dice it.... Even if you have a Barska product that works (like my scope)....

Barska still sucks moose meat.

Their warranty is horrible. Your better off just throw it under the bench for spare parts. Learn your lesson. And go buy something that'll last, function properly, with a good warranty (like Vortex).

So Matt,.....
Congradjies on the new rifle. Welcome to the Brotherhood or the Barrel Nut. Welcome to your new addiction & OCD. Become a paid member here & enjoy the 24hr help line & treatment for addiction & OCD....

Do you have a cleaning kit? When I looked at that .270, it needed to be de-coppered. The barrel needs to have the spiders chased out of it.
Pick up a cheap one at Wally's place & a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9. I always have my kit with me so we'll have a look see at it.
The scope will be sufficient for now. I wouldn't expect groups under .425" or anything but it's a great start.

I gotta get back to work or I won't have enough ammo for tomorrow.....

Later -
Frank in Fla

mattm0812
09-08-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't care how you slice it or dice it.... Even if you have a Barska product that works (like my scope)....

Barska still sucks moose meat.

Their warranty is horrible. Your better off just throw it under the bench for spare parts. Learn your lesson. And go buy something that'll last, function properly, with a good warranty (like Vortex).

So Matt,.....
Congradjies on the new rifle. Welcome to the Brotherhood or the Barrel Nut. Welcome to your new addiction & OCD. Become a paid member here & enjoy the 24hr help line & treatment for addiction & OCD....

Do you have a cleaning kit? When I looked at that .270, it needed to be de-coppered. The barrel needs to have the spiders chased out of it.
Pick up a cheap one at Wally's place & a bottle of Hoppe's No. 9. I always have my kit with me so we'll have a look see at it.
The scope will be sufficient for now. I wouldn't expect groups under .425" or anything but it's a great start.

I gotta get back to work or I won't have enough ammo for tomorrow.....

Later -
Frank in Fla

Ahh I forgot to get a cleaning kit at dicks. I have some solvent and a boresnake that I can run through it though.

fgw_in_fla
09-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Don't worry about it.

We'll just find a stick & some wet sand. Drag the stick in & out of the barrel with a little wet sand...

We'll have that puppy shining like a brand new penny. And that's about all it'll be worth, too.

I always bring a rod, patches, Hoppes & all that other stuff.

We'll manage to struggle along.

thermaler
09-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I used plain 'ol aluminum rod 3/16 diameter & Ace Hardware quick set epoxy.
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/DSC07364.jpg

Aside from spending a few hours tighening it up, my 25.06 Edge shoots a good as any hi dollar rifle I own. In fact, I kinda like it more since it was a pawn shop rescue...

Here's one of the best groups I got from it during OCD / OCW...
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/2506with100grNBT001.jpg

And here's the end result....
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/DSC07605.jpg

Best of luck with yours. A little patience, time and a few bucks & I believe anyone can make them shoot like a high dollar rifle.

Frank in Fla

Is that target wallpaper in your house in the background? That'd be cool!

fgw_in_fla
09-08-2012, 09:08 PM
I have MY AREA in the house decorated the way I want it...... And my wife said I can.

Those are targets I use for OCW testing. I used them to cover all the junk on the shelves in the garage when I took the shot.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I used powder can labels for covering on all the cabinets & tool box. I peel them off when the can is empty & stick them to everything in the garage. It looks pretty good...... Kinda like a collage.

mattm0812
09-08-2012, 11:33 PM
See you tomorrow morning, Frank.

thermaler
09-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Have fun guys! If the rains and winds hold off, I may give the phoenix a go later today.

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Have fun guys! If the rains and winds hold off, I may give the phoenix a go later today.

You might see Frank's .243 barrel for sale in the classifieds real soon haha.

You might call me a sissy but that .270 was a PITA today. I shot about 40 rounds and I still feel it haha. I'm most likely to get it switched to .243.

The simmons garbage scope that is on it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 100 yards? Lol a .22 could do better than what I did.

thermaler
09-09-2012, 07:11 PM
I've googled around and tried to get some info on recoil suppression--there are "shock absorbers" you can buy and put inside the stock, but from what I've read the jury is out if these do any more than simply filling the stock with some lead. There is some suggestion that just the mental anticipation of "the big bang" makes the recoil issue seem worse than it is. My shoulder is usually a bit sore after firing a lot of rounds, but it's not as bad as firing a ton of shotgun magnums or sabbots in big shells--after a day of firing those bad boys I'll definitely have some shoulder tattoos. The big issue for me is muzzle lift when firing--makes it tough to get back on target quick. In fact, I'm real curious as to how quickly the bullet exits the barrel relative to when the recoil starts muzzle lift. Anyone?

BTW--what ammo were you using? Winchester was all over the place in my 270, but things settled down to near MOA once I switched to core lokt. The best all-around factory ammo that I've ever used that I can pretty much count on for consistently good results in whatever I stick 'em in is Hornady (any of the Max or superformance), but it's a bit pricey and I like to do the zeroing/break-in stuff with cheaper ammo first. I think you will get used to "launching artillery" as I like to call it after a while. : )

fgw_in_fla
09-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Recoil supression???? COmplaining about recoil from a .270?

Maybe you should take a few Midol & hold a Maxi-Pad with some ice on it for a while...... When you feel better, we can chat over tea....

I would be concerned my Man Card would be suspended or revoked for such a statement. Recoil whining is for OVER 30 caliber only...

Frank "Chaplain" in Fla

thermaler
09-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Your 30 06 is almost gay compared to rem 7mm mag. : )

fgw_in_fla
09-09-2012, 07:54 PM
That would be why I just got a 7 rem mag barrel. I was concerned when the Man Assoc. sent me a notice. It Mentioned 3 month suspension of my man card if I didn't own at least 1 magnum caliber barrel....

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I've googled around and tried to get some info on recoil suppression--there are "shock absorbers" you can buy and put inside the stock, but from what I've read the jury is out if these do any more than simply filling the stock with some lead. There is some suggestion that just the mental anticipation of "the big bang" makes the recoil issue seem worse than it is. My shoulder is usually a bit sore after firing a lot of rounds, but it's not as bad as firing a ton of shotgun magnums or sabbots in big shells--after a day of firing those bad boys I'll definitely have some shoulder tattoos. The big issue for me is muzzle lift when firing--makes it tough to get back on target quick. In fact, I'm real curious as to how quickly the bullet exits the barrel relative to when the recoil starts muzzle lift. Anyone?

BTW--what ammo were you using? Winchester was all over the place in my 270, but things settled down to near MOA once I switched to core lokt. The best all-around factory ammo that I've ever used that I can pretty much count on for consistently good results in whatever I stick 'em in is Hornady (any of the Max or superformance), but it's a bit pricey and I like to do the zeroing/break-in stuff with cheaper ammo first. I think you will get used to "launching artillery" as I like to call it after a while. : )

Yeah I shot a box of the core lokt and it actually shot pretty well. Also shot a box of Frank's reloads.

thermaler
09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
@ Frank: Try firing off a bunch of 3 or 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge magnums and let me know if that counts for membership in the manly man trigger pull association.

mattm0812
09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
@ Frank: Try firing off a bunch of 3 or 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge magnums and let me know if that counts for membership in the manly man trigger pull association.

Haha, how old are you?