PDA

View Full Version : need help with Savage LRPV bolt

Pages : [1] 2

kenickie22
08-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I have a 22-250 1:9 twist LRPV that I've been extremely disappointed with so far. My problem is that I can't get the bolt back after firing. The bolt operates fine when empty or with a loaded round. The bolt lift is fine. My primers look OK, and the load is not hot as far what the manuals say or what other people with these guns are using. The last load I've been working with is 75gr A-Max's over RL-15 powder. The problem starts at around 32.4 grains. My primers don't look bad, I've checked my Chargemaster against a beam scale, and my chronograph shows just under 3100fps, so I don't think it's an over charging issue. I'm using Lapua brass. I was advised that it might be caused by a rough chamber, so I had my gunsmith check it out and he agreed. I recently got it back after having him polish the chamber, but I still have the same issue. I've tried other powders (4064, H4350, Varget, H414, etc.) and still have the issue as I get closer to a "warm" load. Also, accuracy is terrible until I get a "warmer" load. I'm full length sizing with a Redding type S (with the neck expander removed). I haven't disassembled the bolt to set up my die... I've been using Sinclair bump gages and setting the shoulder back between .001" and .002". I'm hoping this is something simple that I've missed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Dennis
08-12-2012, 04:32 AM
My problem is that I can't get the bolt back after firing. The bolt operates fine when empty or with a loaded round. The bolt lift is fine.

Could you go more in detail with your problem. What exactly do you mean when "You can't get the bolt back after firing"?

There should be an answer to this.

kenickie22
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Could you go more in detail with your problem. What exactly do you mean when "You can't get the bolt back after firing"?

There should be an answer to this.

Dennis,
After firing, the bolt lifts with minimal force. I can't pull the bolt back without putting the gun to my shoulder and pulling extremely hard. Also, after I do finally get the bolt open, if I try and put the empty case back in, I get the same result. If I put an empty case in that had fired a very low powder charge, it opens fine. I know this sounds like an over pressure issue, but my primers don't show this and the charges aren't hot. Any ideas? Thanks!

mkf350
08-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Just a though.... Make sure you have no interference with scope mount base screws, and action screws by loosing a turn or two them then trying above procedure with fired case.

earl39
08-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a primary extraction issue.

Dennis
08-12-2012, 04:33 PM
The only time I ever had an issue like this, it was caused by overpressure! But the signs were all over. Flattened primers, marks on the brass head, and in some cases I broke the lip on the brass trying to extract it.

Everything you state sounds good. You definetly should have primer issues and ejector marks on the head of the brass before the brass sticking in the chamber!

Maybe someone will have the answer.

kenickie22
08-12-2012, 08:23 PM
mkf350, thanks for the idea - I'll give this a try tomorrow.

kenickie22
08-12-2012, 08:24 PM
earl39,
What can I do to determine if this is the issue? And what can I do to fix it? Thanks for the response.

earl39
08-12-2012, 08:29 PM
earl39,
What can I do to determine if this is the issue? And what can I do to fix it? Thanks for the response.

From my understanding it is a bolt handle problem on some actions. The handles were out of spec. I would PM sharpshooter and see what he has to say or just do a search for "primary extraction issue"

kenickie22
08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks Earl! I've taken both of your suggestions. This sounds exactly like my problem.

skypilot
08-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Sounds like some pressure issues and/or the brass has lost it's spring from pressure or repeated usage. FL resize will fix but when fired again will do the same if brass has lost the ability to expand to the chamber when fired and then return to a size less than chamber diameter.

kenickie22
08-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks skypilot. But I'm using new Lapua brass.

ssv1761982
08-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Try a box of factory ammo just to see what happens.

ellobo
08-13-2012, 05:32 PM
In an earlier thread Sharpshooter made the comment that Savage had bolts with a defect and they machined material off them. The material they removed caused there to be NO primarly extraction. He suggested a new bolt of aftermarket type. It sounds like classic lack of primary extraction especialy if there are no overpressure signs present.

El Lobo.

kenickie22
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Looks like you guys were right. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1ddHYW6wA&feature=youtu.be

82boy
08-14-2012, 11:14 AM
The problem with your rifle is it doen't have enough primary extraction. There are two common causes for this in Savage rifles, one is the bolt body is out of phase, the other is that the bolt handel doesn't have the correct angle ramp on it. You can fix the bolt handle problem by buying another bolt handel, the bolt body out of phase would require a new bolt body.

scoeri
08-14-2012, 08:33 PM
82boy,
will you please explain what bolt body is out of phase means and how to check for this.
thanks for all your knowledge.
scott

82boy
08-14-2012, 10:41 PM
"Out of phase" meaning the bolt body in the maner it was made that the place where the notches that the bolt body drops into in, was cut in the wrong orintation to the bolt body/ bolt head. There has been a few that have passed throught the savage plant that had this problem.

82boy
08-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Looks like you guys were right. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1ddHYW6wA&feature=youtu.be

Yup that is a primary extraction problem, changing the bolt handel will do wonders.

darkker
08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Just a though.... Make sure you have no interference with scope mount base screws, and action screws by loosing a turn or two them then trying above procedure with fired case.

My thought as well. Check your bolt thoroughly for witness marks.