PDA

View Full Version : What did I do? Problem after bedding - shoots high now

Pages : [1] 2

ssv1761982
07-31-2012, 10:00 PM
I have had this 112 heavy barrel 223 for about 13 years. It always shoots great. I bedded it in a VLP stock and now it shoots so high I can't adjust the scope. It is about 5 inches higher than I can adjust for. I tried a different scope and it is still high, both Leupolds in the same mounts that have always been on the rifle. I actually ground it all out and rebedded it and it still is high, nothing changed. I am far from being good at bedding but it ain't brain surgery.

What the heck could have I done wrong? I could take my swift out of its stock just to see what happens but it is shooting fine. :)

JW
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Is the stock you bedded the same stock ?
IF it is then the bedding is the problem

Does the stock have pillars?
I try to position the action as close to pillars as possible when bedding
(Press the action down to the pillars when bedding)

I know this does not answer your question as what happened, just trying to get you shooting again
Maybe someone else will chime in and help out
Jack

ssv1761982
07-31-2012, 10:38 PM
It is a different stock. I think I got it from Numrich, it was supposed to be the VLP. It needed work, like it was almost ready but the action didn't fit. I had it a long time before I took the dremmel to it. I used surgical tubing as big rubber bands to hold it together when I did the bedding. This time I don't have and contact on the barrel or nut.

JW
07-31-2012, 10:48 PM
After thinking about it a little more, my reply about raising the action up at the rear will do absolutly nothing to make the gun shoot lower ( I have these crazy thoughts every once in a while LOL)
I will remove that statement

There has to be some stress in the action from the fit to the stock
That could "warp" the action enough to get things out of line
You want the barrel and barrel nut free floating as well as the tang
Since you have it bedded again make sure the recoil lug is only contacting on the action side of lug and the tang is freefloated

Need some help here fellow savage shooters
Jack

devildogandboy
07-31-2012, 11:48 PM
well, some pics of the bedding job would help us figure this out. did you make sure the recoil lug is not touching on the bottom, there should be some room under the recoil.

Jamie
08-01-2012, 12:26 AM
There shouldn't be any stress on the action from the stock fit. If there is, then he did the bedding wrong. A couple things to check. Is the barrel touching the stock in any place? Is the recoil lug touching any where but the rear of it? And is the rear tang touching the stock?

sharpshooter
08-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Obviously the problem is NOT in the bedding. Savage rifles are the most forgiving rifle ever made when it comes to bedding. To make one shoot that much high by changing the bedding would take a deliberate act of adding serious stress that would be obvious.

JW
08-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Obviously the problem is NOT in the bedding. Savage rifles are the most forgiving rifle ever made when it comes to bedding. To make one shoot that much high by changing the bedding would take a deliberate act of adding serious stress that would be obvious.

Very good point! Thanks Sharpshooter

SSV1761982 did you remove the scope, rings, or mounts for bedding?
if so, do you have the scope mounted the same as before--rings and mounts/mount in same location (not switched)

ssv1761982
08-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't know if I switched the scope mounts front to rear or not. The Weaver bases have never been off, the rings are split vertically, don't know who made them but they have been fine for years. I'll double check clearance at the bottom of the recoil lug, I am sure the front of it is clear. Nothing is touching the barrel or the nut. It will be a few days but I'll try to post a couple pics. Thanks everybody.

glassbeaver
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
If it groups, then what me worry? Either shim the front mount or maybe try lapping your rings.

ellobo
08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
The OP said this rifle is 13 yrs old. That makes it a flat back reciever. Sounds to me like the scope mounts have been reversed so now the scope points above the bore centerline. Worth a quick check.

El Lobo

pdog06
08-01-2012, 05:23 PM
It shouldnt be the bedding at all, unless the action is stressed badly when fitted to the stock. If that was the case the bolt probably would be hard to open and close.

It is obviously something in the mounting of the scope.

If the scope was mounted the same exact way it was before the bedding was done(same bases, same rings, same scope, etc), then it should have been very close to zero when re-installing the scope.

Just by chance are you using Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts? Maybe you got the front and rear rings reversed and now the offset is backwards.

If it is a flat rear action you cannot get the front and rear bases reversed so it shouldnt be that.

jonbearman
08-02-2012, 04:55 PM
This may sound silly but did you swivel the scope in the mounts so you have an adjustment on the left side of the gun and at the top??? This is a wild curve ball,but worth asking as my buddy did that after he bedded his gun the first time and it wasnt even close at the range.

short round
08-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Might put it back in the original stock & see how it shoots, if scope does not zero it is scope/base issue. If it shoots OK in original stock, new stock has to be problem.

kelbro
08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
This may sound silly but did you swivel the scope in the mounts so you have an adjustment on the right side of the gun and at the top??? This is a wild curve ball,but worth asking as my buddy did that after he bedded his gun the first time and it wasnt even close at the range.

Do you mean left and top?? I will admit that I did that once. :)

jonbearman
08-03-2012, 01:38 AM
I fixed it,just another senior moment. I did it once too.

DenisA
08-05-2012, 08:12 AM
What was the fix?

stangfish
08-05-2012, 08:20 AM

Cliffhanger.

earl39
08-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Well the rest of us old folks don't want to repete someone else's mistake if we don't have to and i can't hold my breath any longer my fingers are turning blue.

M.O.A.
08-05-2012, 05:10 PM
The OP said this rifle is 13 yrs old. That makes it a flat back reciever. Sounds to me like the scope mounts have been reversed so now the scope points above the bore centerline. Worth a quick check.

El Lobo

this sounds like the problem to me