PDA

View Full Version : I ran out of things to modify on my Edge.

Pages : [1] 2

fgw_in_fla
07-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I've had photos of this 25.06 posted before. Now that the barrel is broken in, it's got incredible consistancy / accuracy using 85gr Nosler's over 49.5 of IMR4350

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/DSC07417.jpg

How do you like the "Max Mag" hanging out the bottom. It'll hold 15 rounds comfortably. Another member did the preliminary fitting and sizing, I did the fine tuning.
The stock is almost completely solid with steel and aluminum reinforcement and lightweight epoxy. (epoxy mixed with styrofoam beads)

If you look carefully you can see where I had to grind down the bolt handle the get it past the scope eyepiece. Even with taller rings, it still hit when pulling the bolt back.

If only somone would make a decent aftermarket stock.....

Lots of fun to shoot. A little heavy with a full load but unquestionably fun.

Frank in Fla

drybean
07-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Outstanding,Frank a custom bolt handel,send your bolt body to fred to be flutted,ahand made stock
a new barrel,so never say never say you ran out of things to modify
Great job.Drybean

Admin
07-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Nice looking Axis Frank. My 111 Savage in 25-06 loved the 85gr Noslers over 56.0 grains of H4350.

fgw_in_fla
07-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow!.... 56gr of 4350?

That's close to the speed of light, isn't it? If you miss the target the wind from the bullet will blow it over.

Hey Bean, I have an extra bolt handle (I think I got it from you?) but I'm not too awfully concerned. I have visions of a higher power scope. As much as I really like the Nikon, it needs a little more power for me to shoot a little more than 200 yds.

I'm trying to keep it as "stock" as possible. I kinda like 'em that way.

Frank in Fla

thomae
07-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Did you put in a wrist pin to reinforce the small handgrip area?

fgw_in_fla
07-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Wristpin? - no.... I did pack it full of construction adhesive. It's the stuff we use to bond reinforcement steel to existing concrete, a method called "pinning". The stuff works great. Once it cures it's at least as hard as the concrete. If anything, I'd like to make it into a pistol grip of even expand the diameter of it. When you first wrap your mitt around it, it kinda feels like a kids gun.

I recall reading about someone breaking their stock at that point during a hunting excusion. In its plain - jane stock form I can see how that could happen..... very easily.

Later y'all - gotta hit the hay.
Frank in Fla

Admin
07-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Wow!.... 56gr of 4350?

That's close to the speed of light, isn't it? If you miss the target the wind from the bullet will blow it over.

Frank in Fla

Yeah, I've always tended to load my ammo a little on the warm side - think it's a direct influence from the person who got me into reloading in the first place. :whistle: I worked my way up to a max of 57.0gr of H4350 IIRC in 0.2gr increments during load development before backing down to 56gr as it offered the best accuracy. Never did shoot it over a chrony to see how consistent or fast it was though and sold that rifle a few years ago.

I wouldn't recommend running out and trying it though without working up to it in a similar manner watching for pressure signs.

Gmac5
07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Frank ,is that the bar mag hanging out the bottom ?
Gary in south fla

fgw_in_fla
07-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey Gary - Yes that certainly is a BAR mag. When I first got it you couldn't see it under the healthy layer of cosmoline. Man, I hate that stuff. The BAR mag is one of the only I / we could come up with to make it happen. Other mags were not cost effective. The most I ever loaded it to was 16 rounds and yes, it does add a little weight. It functions quite well but still needs a little fine tuning.

It turned quite a few heads at the range over the weekend. Not a single person could guess what it is. In all, I'm pretty happy with it especially the accuracy.
I have a 25.06 barrel on the way but I don't think it's going on this one. I may keep this one in its stock form for a while. It has a sort of sleek look to it.

Gotta get back to work for a while - Layer y'all.
Frank in Fla

junkman1967
08-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Frank do you have some details on the Mag? I am wanting to make one for my 308 Axis. I was going to use a G3 mag but didnt like the way it looked. Thanks for any info you can give me. Some closeup pics of the latching mechanism would be great if you can.

Joe

fgw_in_fla
08-31-2012, 02:01 AM
PM sent with some info for you...

devildogandboy
08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Frank, if you get bored i can send you my Edge and you can do some mods on it!
yours looks great, very good job!

fgw_in_fla
09-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Ya know d- dog, I've grown to really enjoy the Edge in 25.06. It's got a Savage tactical fat barrel now & shoots even better than before. So far my best is 5 rounds in one raggedy hole of .34". The 6th shot I got a little cocky & pulled it.....

In spite of the absolute junk they (Savage) give you with the Edge, it's got a pretty nice action.... compact & tight, and the trigger is workable. But..... the stock..... ahh yes, the stock....
Ya know, I spent more time reinforcing & trimming, cutting & drilling, gluing & epoxying on the stock than I spent total time on the rest of the rifle. Barrel change included.
And it is a cool looking stock.... I mean, as far as stocks go, it's not bad looking. It's just product of someones idea of how to save money & I kinda think the stock issue may end up COSTING Savage money over the long run.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. I might not enjoy it if it was any other caliber but that 25.06 is incredible when it comes to accuracy. I like it so much, I would even invite bobfortier down to Florida for an all expense paid vacation.....if he'd make me a stock while he's here.....

Later.

Gotta load up & head out to the range.

Frank in Fla

PS - jump in the car with yours & come on by.... Lets see what we can do with yours.

bobfortier
09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Really ? All expense paid ? LOL thanks for the offer.....

mattm0812
09-02-2012, 06:48 PM

He's a good man. We went out today to the range, he let me shoot his savage's and different types of ammo he loaded.

fgw_in_fla
09-02-2012, 11:34 PM
bobfortier - that's all expense paid vacation, stay as long as you like, summer or winter, I'll cook for ya and all you have to do is make sure you bring your tools. You'll be making a few stocks in between all the other stuff I mentioned & playing golf, & checking bikinis on the coast and......

Matt - you sure are making the rounds today....

I think we've crossed paths a few times today, eh?...

Frank in Fla

Elteyr
09-28-2012, 02:13 PM

bob, why don't you ship the the U.S. again? I mean, you couldn't possibly make an exception for a guy in alaska? :biggrin-new:

fgw_in_fla
09-28-2012, 02:37 PM
I think he mentioned something about Canada export law or maybe it was Levenworth..... I know it was some kind of ridiculous export law, like maybe he was making his own rocket launchers & shipping them to third world countries & the US....

Or is he?.....

I wonder if Bob is his real name.... maybe it's Achmed Abduul Bastafazooll or something...

mattm0812
09-28-2012, 02:38 PM
I think he mentioned something about Canada export law or maybe it was Levenworth..... I know it was some kind of ridiculous export law, like maybe he was making his own rocket launchers & shipping them to third world countries & the US....

Or is he?.....

I wonder if Bob is his real name.... maybe it's Achmed Abduul Bastafazooll or something...

Sometimes I flabbergasted by some of the stuff you say.

fgw_in_fla
09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
What?!??